Speculation: Any interest in Liljegren for a mid round pick?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I don't see that being likely. Our defense is pretty stuffed as is and really solid. I doubt Lilly helps return a good enough player to actually upgrade the defense.

On his own? No. But I meant as part of a package. Probably as the necessary cap dump. Ideally, you'd want McCabe pushed down.

I'd be all over that from SJ.

I actually think he would be a perfect reclamation target for San Jose. They can afford to take his bloated salary with no worries. So long as the price is cheap. Possibly a deadline move so Toronto can free up cap space for something bigger.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Issue is we need to sign Patches and Lorentz, we're 1 mil over the cap and I suspect about 875-1m each for Patches and Lorentz meaning dropping Lilj's 3 mil makes everything work.
Unless they just sign 1 of the 2 and move Jarnkrok but IMO that's the worse move.
What is this need you speak of? If the Leafs need to sign him, I don't think the odds of them going far in the playoffs is good.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
There are still a lot of GMs in the league that are too dumb NOT to offer this or more. The same group having to explain to their bosses why they didn't acquire Nick Robertson when they could have got him for table scraps.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Honeslty, if the Leafs end up trading Liljegren for peanuts, put me in the camp of "they will immensely regret it".

This Leafs D is OLD. Rielly, Tanev, OEL, McCabe, Hakanpaa and Benoit average close to 31 years old. Sure, Timmins is only a year older than Liljegren, but the reality is they should probably find a way to have at least 2 defencemen under the age of 30 in their lineup on a nightly basis.

Don't get me wrong, if they can line up a deal for a centre that has Liljegren-type upside, I'm all for it, but to toss him out (sort of like they did Sandin) will turn out to be a pretty bad deal.

I've been against the OEL signing from the beginning pretty much.... the Leafs need to find a way to make Benoit & Liljegren work as a 3rd pair that has upside beyond. Instead of signing Hakanpaa & OEL, spending a bit more money on a better singular defenceman.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Rutta 50% retained, and a pick was the first thing I thought of when reading this thread.

Leafs get a replacement player at a much lower cap hit. Sharks get a guy that can grow on a rebuilding team, for a minimal price.
I'm not sure I'd be too happy with that. I'd prefer to keep Rutta and we can't retain anyways. Of course it wouldn't be backbreaking though.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Lilly needs to be on the top pair with Ozone starts and #1 PP minutes. Honestly I would dump Reiilly and save the $7.5m and promote Lilly, but it's not gonna happen. He is totally misused and wasted as a 3rd pair dman.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
At $3M a pop, does he make any non-Playoff teams a Playoff team or give a significant marginal boost.. particularly to the extent that you want to jump the line and bring him in now with a year head start (starting next year) to give him a UFA contract versus just waiting around to sign him (or a player of his caliber) as a UFA in a couple years?

No, i don't think a player of Liljegren's caliber really moves the needle on many non-Playoff teams in the sense of suddenly making them a playoff team. But for a bubble team with a patchy defence needing depth that can handle those #5 minutes or hold the fort as a #4 when injuries mount? Could make a difference.

But more likely, he'd be of more interest to those "non-contender" types, or teams that aren't expected to be in the bubble battle. And in that sort of case...yeah, for most of those teams, yet another mid-round pick on the heap is probably worth "jumping the line" for a youngish RHD who has shown to be a clearly NHL caliber defenceman.

Even if there's probably not much more upside there beyond what we've seen...those teams do still need assorted "stopgaps" that can make a difference in the short term. Getting youngish, live legs can matter, compared to settling for whatever old worn out castoffs they can bring in. They can make a difference in helping to shelter young developing players. It can also allow them to potentially move an extra "veteran" at the deadline for a better pick.

Tons of situations where getting the guy a couple years earlier could be worth a mid-pick, rather than waiting around for later when you hopefully don't have any real need for him anymore anyway.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Liljegren certainly doesn't have negative value and has "something to prove" as well.
He doesn’t have negative value, that would insinuate you’d have to pay something to dump him.

But he likely has very little value. A guy who’s shown he’s nothing more than a soft bottom pairing dman at 3 million dollars? And then he’s UFA in two years.

I think someone would take a chance on him if he hit waivers. But in terms of a trade, I don’t think anyone would bother. The absolute max I could see is a 4th for him.

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Rutta 50% retained, and a pick was the first thing I thought of when reading this thread.

Leafs get a replacement player at a much lower cap hit. Sharks get a guy that can grow on a rebuilding team, for a minimal price.

Sharks have no more retention spots.

He's a guy that Grier should look at if he's available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad