Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Sandin as a 4.6m 3rd pair guy is not going to work.

They said, I think Sandin/Roy still could be a YUGE thing, and that’s not dismissing Fehervary. I like him a lot.

TVR is ideal for what he is, even at the 3m slot. Guy can play either side and any pair. He’s not the player we should look to trade.

I mean, IF some team absolutely had to have TVR for my aforementioned reasons, then ok send him. But it would need to be for a great player.

And NO, I’m not overselling TVR, I just don’t want him dealt

Reactions: Kolzilla

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Chychrun have been a stud so far. I have doubted Wilson before, but looks like hes back. Strome aswell with that contract just shortened our rebuild time by a lot. Hes definitely a 1C.

PLD looks like he wants it and I think he will be a good player for us. Not up to his contract, but not that far off from it. Only 2 points so far, but does a lot of things right (Also wrongs). Important in working hard to get the puck in on the first goal vs NJD.

CMM, Protas, Mangiapaine, 4th line all looks good. Need to get the 3rd line clicking a little bit better and hopefully Roy in will help out Sandin. 3-1-0 is a very good opening playing two times against a Devils team who looks better this year, Dallas who is one of the best teams in the league and are 5-0 in their other five games and Vegas who where 3-0 before they faced us and is generally considered a good team.

Reactions: um

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
One thing I noticed about Chychrun in the last game is that he's a bit of a maniac in the net scrums.

I expected him to be a soft little "hey there please don't do that" guy but in one scrum I saw he was just shaking a guy by the collar like a crooked cop. Dude has gone wild more than once like he's on a personal mission to prove his diet makes him a superhuman and I'm totally here for it.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Sandin as a 4.6m 3rd pair guy is not going to work.

They said, I think Sandin/Roy still could be a YUGE thing, and that’s not dismissing Fehervary. I like him a lot.

TVR is ideal for what he is, even at the 3m slot. Guy can play either side and any pair. He’s not the player we should look to trade.

I mean, IF some team absolutely had to have TVR for my aforementioned reasons, then ok send him. But it would need to be for a great player.

And NO, I’m not overselling TVR, I just don’t want him dealt
Sandin also is what he is...we jumped the gun and overpaid a third pairing puck mover and now we're probably stuck with his contract fo awhile. It unfortunate but he's not a top four guy. He's too small to play physical or eat space, and he lacks the foot speed to really be a game changer so count him out on the PK. His outlet passes are solid, but his offensive instincts are just slightly above average. Nothing he does really separates him from your average third pairing puck mover who doesn't see any special teams time. He's fine with sheltered minutes and a strong defensive partner. Too bad he's not making a little less but not a ton we can do about it now.

Reactions: RedRocking

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The way I look at it, Fever at $2.675 for this year and next and Sandin at $4.6 evens out fine for 2 and 3 LD.

I still hold onto hope Sandin could bloom later in his career….still only 24. The skill is there. Skating is fine. Strength and acumen can be improved on…

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Yes, congratulations to Ted and his huge amount of corporate charity. Our local Government dupes are giving him tons of money in addition to the tons of money he's already making. Ted successfully played the DC Government dupes against the Alexandria Government dupes - all of whom jumped as high as Ted commanded.

Probably more public money going towards it than should be but in the end this is the best thing for all parties involved. Would've really sucked for everyone to move out of the city and while Cap One is still very serviceable it definitely is falling behind the newer generation of buildings

You realize Ted is free to upgrade any time he wants, right? He has the $$, he merely chooses not to.

He bought the Capitals for $85M and now they're worth $1.6B.

Reactions: Block

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
He also sold a 5% piece of Monumental to the Qatari sovereign fund for an instant $200 million, and conveyed that he might do similar transactions with other sovereign funds from the Middle East. So he's not hurting for liquidity sources.

Monumental Sports & Entertainment founder & CEO Ted Leonsis in July became the "first U.S. sports owner to take on Middle East investment," and with team values "skyrocketing and given the rising costs of running a franchise, Leonsis expects others to follow suit," according to Rick Maese of the WASHINGTON POST. Leonsis sold a 5% stake of Monumental Sports to the Qatar Investment Authority for approximately $200M.

Reactions: Block

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
You realize Ted is free to upgrade any time he wants, right? He has the $$, he merely chooses not to.

He bought the Capitals for $85M and now they're worth $1.6B.
Trust me in an ideal world Ted should pay for everything himself and taking money from the Saudis and Qataris is very much not good but I also think that a well-maintained, downtown stadium is an actual public good and local governments are not crazy for spending money on them (especially when they get to actually own them, as they will in this case).

I know it's not and shouldn't be the #1 priority of a municipality but DC getting passed over for things like the World Cup, Eras Tour, Oasis, etc. because they don't have a stadium is a bad thing for the city. It's also a bad thing to have your teams in the Washington Wizards and Washington Capitals play in Virginia. Would it be better if the hundreds of millions were going to education and public transit? Absolutely. Were they going to if this wasn't funded -- absolutely not.

Reactions: Kalopsia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad