Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Given the stated effort/cultural issues they were trying to fix at the time and our hindsight knowledge of his off-ice issues you wonder if the other wasn't Kuznetsov. His production dropped from almost a point-a-game to less than 60 in '16-17. He had a paltry second playoff run. Could be there was star backlash to Trotz and the structure/discipline asked for and then more of a depth player backlash to a key younger skilled star that wasn't taking that next step per se and perhaps already had amassed ample off-ice baggage and general discipline issues.
Yeah, I was thinking Kuzy too.

This was a pretty interesting read. Makes it seem more apparent GMCP is actually the GM and GMBM has stepped away more.
If you listen to GMCP's interviews, I think he's been the de facto co-GM since last summer. He basically had most of the GM's responsibilities last season. He talked about how he was traveling with the Caps, which is something the GM does.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I respect the opinions of those thinking that Cristall would of made of difference one game in but the kid is still tiny.
This. And I suspect the org is concerned about more than just whether he's strong enough to win a board battle. Look at the spate of injuries already this year--Cellebrini's already broken. There's a real risk in sending him out there against men to take hit after hit and get clobbered in scrums. He could easily suffer an injury that sets back his development--or worse. He needs to get stronger and grow into his body.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
When he arrived, Orpik was very aware that the last thing teammates wanted was for him to come in and tell everyone how things were done in Pittsburgh. He wasn’t about to share a bunch of Sidney Crosby leadership stories. But the Capitals players were curious. What made it work in Pittsburgh? How was Crosby as a leader?

The one area Orpik highlighted was practice habits.

“Sid is a guy who doesn’t say a ton, but he is the hardest-working guy every single day in practice,” he said. “With his stature, it forces everybody else to follow.”
“I remember saying, ‘Hey, there’s just so many things that have been done a certain way for so long, it’s going to be tough to weed out some of these bad habits and cultural issues here that might be plaguing some of the success,’” Orpik said.

Based on Orpik's comments, I wonder if they considered stripping the C from Ovechkin?

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I thought mangiapane looked pretty good on the first line being fast and a tenacious puck hound so would have give it a few more games before panicking.
I agree, but I see this as trying to fix the 3rd line.

Game 1 was basically Lapierre plus the misfits. It looks like Carberry is really trying to beef up that 3rd line by surrounding Lapierre with Vrana and Mangiapane, and it's the right approach with a young center.

This is also the best way to surround Lapierre with more talent while allowing the McM - PLD - W line to remain intact which was their best line from the first game.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad