Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Given the stated effort/cultural issues they were trying to fix at the time and our hindsight knowledge of his off-ice issues you wonder if the other wasn't Kuznetsov. His production dropped from almost a point-a-game to less than 60 in '16-17. He had a paltry second playoff run. Could be there was star backlash to Trotz and the structure/discipline asked for and then more of a depth player backlash to a key younger skilled star that wasn't taking that next step per se and perhaps already had amassed ample off-ice baggage and general discipline issues.
Yeah, I was thinking Kuzy too.

This was a pretty interesting read. Makes it seem more apparent GMCP is actually the GM and GMBM has stepped away more.
If you listen to GMCP's interviews, I think he's been the de facto co-GM since last summer. He basically had most of the GM's responsibilities last season. He talked about how he was traveling with the Caps, which is something the GM does.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I respect the opinions of those thinking that Cristall would of made of difference one game in but the kid is still tiny.
This. And I suspect the org is concerned about more than just whether he's strong enough to win a board battle. Look at the spate of injuries already this year--Cellebrini's already broken. There's a real risk in sending him out there against men to take hit after hit and get clobbered in scrums. He could easily suffer an injury that sets back his development--or worse. He needs to get stronger and grow into his body.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
When he arrived, Orpik was very aware that the last thing teammates wanted was for him to come in and tell everyone how things were done in Pittsburgh. He wasn’t about to share a bunch of Sidney Crosby leadership stories. But the Capitals players were curious. What made it work in Pittsburgh? How was Crosby as a leader?

The one area Orpik highlighted was practice habits.

“Sid is a guy who doesn’t say a ton, but he is the hardest-working guy every single day in practice,” he said. “With his stature, it forces everybody else to follow.”
“I remember saying, ‘Hey, there’s just so many things that have been done a certain way for so long, it’s going to be tough to weed out some of these bad habits and cultural issues here that might be plaguing some of the success,’” Orpik said.

Based on Orpik's comments, I wonder if they considered stripping the C from Ovechkin?

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
I thought mangiapane looked pretty good on the first line being fast and a tenacious puck hound so would have give it a few more games before panicking.
I agree, but I see this as trying to fix the 3rd line.

Game 1 was basically Lapierre plus the misfits. It looks like Carberry is really trying to beef up that 3rd line by surrounding Lapierre with Vrana and Mangiapane, and it's the right approach with a young center.

This is also the best way to surround Lapierre with more talent while allowing the McM - PLD - W line to remain intact which was their best line from the first game.

Reactions: Calicaps

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I doubt it….would have damaged the relationship….more likely trying to hone him and others to lead…and execute more effectively overall.
That could explain why they didn't go through with it even though it was suggested. Rupturing the relationship that way seems unthinkable now, but back then?

That was coming off the worst season of Ovie's career besides the Hunter season. It was pretty much his the low point. He was on the wrong side of 30 and saw his goal total drop by 17 from the year before and his TOI/g drop by nearly 2 minutes. That season saw the longest goal drought of his career to that point in February/March (10 games), followed shortly thereafter by another long skid to end the season (7 games + 1 playoff game). He had 6 goals over the last 24 games of that season and the team played at a 113 point pace anyway. Then he followed up a rough end of the regular season with a very underwhelming playoff run (8 points in 13 games with a -4), including going -5 in the Pens series.

Here's the version of this thread from the day they were eliminated that season. Lots of people advocating for teardowns in there. Conversation on Ovie was split between people who wanted him gone and people saying the team wouldn't or couldn't, but really no one arguing that they shouldn't. There's even a few people calling for stripping the C (in fact... speak of the devil!). The situation was f***ing bleak, and I don't think Ovie's future relationship with the team was a major consideration. If there was ever a time when stripping the captaincy might've been on the table, that was it. And that's the kind of thing you take to your grave afterwards if you don't go through with it, which Orpik and BMac seem intent on doing.

Reactions: Jags

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That could explain why they didn't go through with it even though it was suggested. Rupturing the relationship that way seems unthinkable now, but back then?

That was coming off the worst season of Ovie's career besides the Hunter season. It was pretty much his the low point. He was on the wrong side of 30 and saw his goal total drop by 17 from the year before and his TOI/g drop by nearly 2 minutes. That season saw the longest goal drought of his career to that point in February/March (10 games), followed shortly thereafter by another long skid to end the season (7 games + 1 playoff game). He had 6 goals over the last 24 games of that season and the team played at a 113 point pace anyway. Then he followed up a rough end of the regular season with a very underwhelming playoff run (8 points in 13 games with a -4), including going -5 in the Pens series.

Here's the version of this thread from the day they were eliminated that season. Lots of people advocating for teardowns in there. Conversation on Ovie was split between people who wanted him gone and people saying the team wouldn't or couldn't, but really no one arguing that they shouldn't. There's even a few people calling for stripping the C (in fact... speak of the devil!). The situation was f***ing bleak, and I don't think Ovie's future relationship with the team was a major consideration. If there was ever a time when stripping the captaincy might've been on the table, that was it. And that's the kind of thing you take to your grave afterwards if you don't go through with it, which Orpik and BMac seem intent on doing.
Some hot ass takes in there….”ditch Orpik, shop Carlson, strip and or trade Ovi”…..woof….I remember fully believing he would never captain a Cup winner as a primary player…..glad I was wrong. Dark times….

Reactions: Jags

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
I read basically all of the Caps stuff in the actual book at BN earlier. The biggest tidbit not in the excerpt was that Backstrom went to management after 2017 and was like 'I'm not sure it's going to work, you might need to trade me'. Another anecdote is that McPhee basically confirms that Oates was not his choice, he wanted to hire Cooper, and as soon as the first training camp started he was like 'we're f***ed', it was the wrong hire.

Some other interesting stuff with other teams, BriseBois, Lamoriello, Dubas are guys Custance gets in-depth interviews, in addition to MacLellan and McPhee. It is very readable.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I read basically all of the Caps stuff in the actual book at BN earlier. The biggest tidbit not in the excerpt was that Backstrom went to management after 2017 and was like 'I'm not sure it's going to work, you might need to trade me'. Another anecdote is that McPhee basically confirms that Oates was not his choice, he wanted to hire Cooper, and as soon as the first training camp started he was like 'we're f***ed', it was the wrong hire.

Some other interesting stuff with other teams, BriseBois, Lamoriello, Dubas are guys Custance gets in-depth interviews, in addition to MacLellan and McPhee. It is very reareadable
What book was this in?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
OK… new tenor now that we won 4-2. And dominated. Saved by goaltending?

I would think Vrana is in for another (maybe few) games. Lapierre needs to step up but he isn’t going to Hershey. He may sit an an extra soon to make a point, but he ain’t going to Hershey.

the problem with moving McMichael to 3C is that you lose 2LW. And he has looked damn good there. I like the McMike-PLD-Wilson line. They create and take up a bunch of space.

I love our 4th line. Don’t touch that! I watched Dowd a bunch tonight (live). He does so much. So quiet and then he does takes some penalties which is loud. But he does so many of the dirty things that just change the zones, gets pucks, uses his body so others get the puck. I think we’ll sign him to a 1 or 2 year extension. He is an important piece.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
I hear this Raddysh guy can really throw em
IMG_6686.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: PlushMinus

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Even though I'm highly skeptical of the PL Dubois contract and whether he's worth it - only 2 games in so have to give him more time, getting rid of Kuemper was the right move.

Kings have played 4 games and tonight against the Leafs they pulled Rittich and put Copley in. So Kuemper is already sitting out.

3 goalies in 4 games = disaster

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Even though I'm highly skeptical of the PL Dubois contract and whether he's worth it - only 2 games in so have to give him more time, getting rid of Kuemper was the right move.

Kings have played 4 games and tonight against the Leafs they pulled Rittich and put Copley in. So Kuemper is already sitting out.

I’m an optimist but i think PLD can be close to what Strome has become. If he gets close i am happy and We win the trade. But we will be bitching about that contract the whole time. It is what it is.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I’m an optimist but i think PLD can be close to what Strome has become. If he gets close i am happy and We win the trade. But we will be bitching about that contract the whole time. It is what it is.

Well he is the highest paid player on the team after Ovie, so people are definitely going to be complaining about him if he doesn't put up decent numbers. What's the over/under on him as far as how many points does he need this season to stop people from bitching? I'll say 50 this season and I'm being more than fair. Let's call that a good bounceback season. Beyond that I'd be expecting 70 points seasons from him to justify that money.

Verhaeghe just signed an 8 year deal with Florida for 7 million per season. These are his last 3 seasons.

1729140382645.png

For CCR's benefit, PLD is earning 9.7% of the cap :laugh:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
OK… new tenor now that we won 4-2. And dominated. Saved by goaltending?

I would think Vrana is in for another (maybe few) games. Lapierre needs to step up but he isn’t going to Hershey. He may sit an an extra soon to make a point, but he ain’t going to Hershey.

the problem with moving McMichael to 3C is that you lose 2LW. And he has looked damn good there. I like the McMike-PLD-Wilson line. They create and take up a bunch of space.

I love our 4th line. Don’t touch that! I watched Dowd a bunch tonight (live). He does so much. So quiet and then he does takes some penalties which is loud. But he does so many of the dirty things that just change the zones, gets pucks, uses his body so others get the puck. I think we’ll sign him to a 1 or 2 year extension. He is an important piece.
Honestly, I think you give 2LW to Lapierre even though he hasn't "earned" it if you want to switch things up on the third line. One thing we're not talking about a lot is that the stretch of play we remember when we refer to his growth is when he was in the top 6 and empowered (either by coaching or himself) to be a bit more aggressive and creative, with weapons he could unlock.

If PLD isn't a possession, playmaking center maybe Lapierre at 2LW can also facilitate some creative plays, with a north-south center and Wilson as defensive coverage allowing him to take some chances, not that he's wildly irresponsible or incapable of defense at center

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Not saying he should have been kept but he's sitting because he's injured. He had .970 and .920 save% in his first 2 games and was left in for that blowout loss, which I'm guessing contributed to his injury.

Seems like shitty coaching.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Not saying he should have been kept but he's sitting because he's injured. He had .970 and .920 save% in his first 2 games and was left in for that blowout loss, which I'm guessing contributed to his injury.

Seems like shitty coaching.
Oh ok I checked Cap Wages and didn't see him listed as injured.

I did see he had very good numbers in his first 2 games and I was sooo close to posting something about it, but then he had that stinker against Ottawa.

I think it's going to be a very long season in LA. Their defence looks awful and goaltending will likely be an ongoing problem. I'd be happy for Kuemper if he regained form of past years but I'm not betting on it happening. Didn't he play well for us the first few games he was here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad