Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
That said, I'm not sold on them ushering out both Carlson and Ovechkin in two years either. We'll see what happens in the meantime but they're so key that I wouldn't rule out some sort of one-year extension if they're up for it.

Agree, if they are up it it. Would love to see Ovi stay in a limited fit role he is happy with at an appropriate cost.

Lots of space and flexibility in two years. The only forwards signed right now for 2026-2027 are PLD, Wilson, Strome, and BigPro. Only Roy and Sundin on D.

They will be leveraging TF out of whatever new predictive modeling capabilities they add to CapCapFriendly to maximize strategic advantage.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Chychrun and Sandin aren't even in the same atmosphere with the exception that they're both LD. Unless Sandin trends dramatically upwards in the next year or two, he's an overpaid third pairing guy who's not good enough offensively for the PP and not solid enough defensively or big enough to eat space to be a good PKer. Typically when you look at your third pairing guys you'd like them to be able to make an impact on special teams. TVR for example is a great shot blocker and PKer. I'd say without a dramatic uptrend in the very near future Sandin could be on the chopping block for someone else who thinks he has untapped potential.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Chychrun and Sandin aren't even in the same atmosphere with the exception that they're both LD. Unless Sandin trends dramatically upwards in the next year or two, he's an overpaid third pairing guy who's not good enough offensively for the PP and not solid enough defensively or big enough to eat space to be a good PKer. Typically when you look at your third pairing guys you'd like them to be able to make an impact on special teams. TVR for example is a great shot blocker and PKer. I'd say without a dramatic uptrend in the very near future Sandin could be on the chopping block for someone else who thinks he has untapped potential.

I think that’s fair. Everyone needs a role. He’s basically treading water…

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I might think of moving Sandin sooner. His cap hit plus our Kuz money could land a top player. Laine might be for free. I think Chychrun is taking the role Sandin could not fill.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If they felt the need to pay Bear $2M, TVR $3M, and Jensen $4M, I don’t know if they think Sandin’s prime at $4.6M is a bad deal

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If they felt the need to pay Bear $2M, TVR $3M, and Jensen $4M, I don’t know if they think Sandin’s prime at $4.6M is a bad deal
Unfortunately Sandins "prime" probably isn't better than two of the three you mentioned and a healthy Bear with a real off-season to prepare might match or surpass him too. Sandin has been a complete and total let down with the exception of a short stretch after he was acquired from TOR.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Unfortunately Sandins "prime" probably isn't better than two of the three you mentioned and a healthy Bear with a real off-season to prepare might match or surpass him too. Sandin has been a complete and total let down with the exception of a short stretch after he was acquired from TOR.
He’s been the Caps 2nd best defenseman since they got him at 23 and 24 so I don’t know how he’s getting passed by all those guys, perhaps he could be better perhaps the teams new hopefully higher octane identity will fit him better as opposed to grinding out 1 goal leads last year

Reactions: Serial_Derecho

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
He’s been the Caps 2nd best defenseman since they got him at 23 and 24 so I don’t know how he’s getting passed by all those guys, perhaps he could be better perhaps the teams new hopefully higher octane identity will fit him better as opposed to grinding out 1 goal leads last year
I'd say he's been their second worst most of last season with Edmundson. About the only thing he does really well are zone entries.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
I'd say he's been their second worst most of last season with Edmundson. About the only thing he does really well are zone entries.
Do you have any stats that back up your rating? I don't think Jensen was any better than Sandin last year.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
2nd most points among their defensemen since they got him by a healthy margin. I don’t think his +/- tells the story because Carbery had him playing 21 minutes a game last year and he improved dramatically year over year defensively.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Do you have any stats that back up your rating? I don't think Jensen was any better than Sandin last year.
So third worst? This doesn't support that.
1000007664.jpg
1000007663.jpg

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
he's an overpaid third pairing guy who's not good enough offensively for the PP and not solid enough defensively or big enough to eat space to be a good PKer.

I don't disagree, but this is one of those things where it's more about how he fits here than the player he is in general. We never saw him as a PKer, and now with Chychrun we don't really see him on the PP either. So regardless of which pair he plays on, 5v5 is all we're really expecting from him.

So with the personnel we have now, can he find a productive enough rhythm that'll make us not see him as a squeaky wheel? Sure he can. He's young and skilled, has a coach that knows him well, and now should have the talent around him where we can focus on the things he excels at instead of being exposed for the things he isn't (or isn't yet). This season will be career-defining for him.

Yeah, agreed. Neither of those guys are as bad as they appeared last year. Our D was a mess. So if you simply look at it as Roy in for Jensen and Chychrun taking over our revolving third LD spot, that's a couple of pretty big upgrades. It's on Fever and Sandin to prove who they are this year.

Reactions: um and PlushMinus

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think the issue with Sandin is: what's the value in essentially a 5v5 only player? Does he tilt the ice enough 5v5, and is he dynamic enough, for that not to quickly become a luxury item if he can't further diversify his skill set? If Chychrun can bounce back into being more of an impact offensive defenseman without sacrificing much in his own end they should quickly prefer him between the keep him instead. Bigger, more dynamic generally and a better shot. He's a couple years older and will cost quite a bit more to lock up but I'm not sure there's a better top pair play to make than someone with his resume. If his game is fine-tuned then he's a far easier projection to replace Carlson, not just 5v5 but on the PP.

That said, I'm not sold on them ushering out both Carlson and Ovechkin in two years either. We'll see what happens in the meantime but they're so key that I wouldn't rule out some sort of one-year extension if they're up for it.
I think Carlson either gets extended (most likely), or retires (least likely).

That said, JC74 will be almost 37 when October 2026 rolls around. So while he may still be a very much useful player, age may be a factor then. A 2-3yr deal could make sense.

I don’t see JC6 as the *immediate* JC74 replacement. Like at all. But certainly I’d wager that’s the GMBM “long term” mindset going into the late ‘20’s, IMO.

All of that is going to be based on how JC6 acclimates. Obviously that’s all TBD.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
Sandin is a good player, but he lacks size and reach so he has to rely heavily on skating and hockey IQ. He makes smart first passes out of the zone which is essential in todays game. He can be a very useful part of this team, but his role needs to be clearly defined and his minutes need to be managed strategically. I think that with current upgrades to the D, Sandin will have that chance to play a limited (albeit) important role. And i expect a strong season from him.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Sandin is a good player, but he lacks size and reach so he has to rely heavily on skating and hockey IQ. He makes smart first passes out of the zone which is essential in todays game. He can be a very useful part of this team, but his role needs to be clearly defined and his minutes need to be managed strategically. I think that with current upgrades to the D, Sandin will have that chance to play a limited (albeit) important role. And i expect a strong season from him.
Its not that hes a bad player. Hes just overpaid now. I would want to get out of the contract before he gets exposed to the rest of the league. Good thing we own cap friendly lol

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I started going through Sandin's shift charts his last 4 games of the regular season. He's on ice for goals against with Crosby, Tage Thompson, and Jake Guentzel on ice, I think Brady Tkachuk was who hurt him. I don't see how there's this huge gap defensively between Sandin and Jensen.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Re: Sandin.

It is rather remarkable to recognize just HOW different the 21-22, 22-23 Maple Leafs were versus the 23-24 Capitals.

I mean, truly — 2 more dynamically different styles, you may not find. One was offensively wheeling and dealing, the other was a defensive shell.

With the type of player Sandin is, I cannot imagine his skill set being more tethered.

I DO see Sandin as the Jensen replacement, as stated earlier. IF he turns into a player that fits the 4/5 role, and can push transition, he will be a good D-man for us, and one worth the $$$

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
With the power play a regular fixture in the playoffs now (I contend more than ever) - all defensemen should be effective penalty killers.

If you can't kill penalties... maybe you should be a forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holtbyisms

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
With the power play a regular fixture in the playoffs now (I contend more than ever) - all defensemen should be effective penalty killers.

If you can't kill penalties... maybe you should be a forward.

Okay, but if we're going with a loose definition of a general importance of special teams ("All D need to PK"), then we also have to be clear on what you mean when you say "can't kill penalties."

The 4 worst PKers in the NHL lined up together will still kill a 2-minute, 1-man disadvantage most of the time. So a guy with dodgy PK metrics that can't be mitigated by outside factors is typically just not playing sacrificially -- not blocking shots, not challenging/pressuring, dopey clearing attempts, etc. You're talking about gutless hockey. Everything else can be taught or remedied through systems.

I don't think Sandin lacks heart, and if he's the worst PKer of your starting 6, then that can be addressed with sheltered minutes. I get that no one wants to pay "that guy" Sandin money, but I also don't think that Sandin is "that guy." Not excelling on the kill isn't the same as not being able or wiling to do it. Let's see what happens with what should be more fitting deployments before we punt.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Carlson either gets extended (most likely), or retires (least likely).

That said, JC74 will be almost 37 when October 2026 rolls around. So while he may still be a very much useful player, age may be a factor then. A 2-3yr deal could make sense.

I don’t see JC6 as the *immediate* JC74 replacement. Like at all. But certainly I’d wager that’s the GMBM “long term” mindset going into the late ‘20’s, IMO.

All of that is going to be based on how JC6 acclimates. Obviously that’s all TBD.

I certainly think we will see a 1-2 year extension for 74 unless he falls of a cliff.

Why are you showing statistics for 3 years to support your views on last year?

Point you….I was waiting to see if anyone noticed.

Holtbyisms

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Why are you showing statistics for 3 years to support your views on last year?
To show how far hes fallen from being a fancy stat darling when we traded for him. He was playing third pairing sheltered minutes in TO. They upped his usage here and he crashed hard. Which circles back to my original point, he's a third pairing guy who has no special teams ability. He's expendable and making far too much for what he is.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
To show how far hes fallen from being a fancy stat darling when we traded for him. He was playing third pairing sheltered minutes in TO. They upped his usage here and he crashed hard. Which circles back to my original point, he's a third pairing guy who has no special teams ability. He's expendable and making far too much for what he is.
And yet, it does not prove in any way who was better last year.

Please enjoy the mid-offseason doldrums with more random ranting.

• Haha
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad