Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
@twabby for need to see 23-24 fancy stats re: Jensen vs Sandin.

I think they were equally ……. Not good. But I’d wager Sandin was slightly less not good.

And one is a lot older than the other.

IMO Sandin will be good this year. He will solidify the top 4, and Fever May end up playing w TVR…..not Sandin w TVR.

Either way though? I MUCH better problem to be debating, rather than which could possibly play top pair w Carlson.

Reactions: Rayquaza64 and Jags

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Either way though? I MUCH better problem to be debating, rather than which could possibly play top pair w Carlson.
I think there's a good chance one of them ends up with Carlson again, because I think it's unlikely Carlson gets paired with Chychrun. And while I like Sandin, Fehervary is clearly a better match there.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think there's a good chance one of them ends up with Carlson again, because I think it's unlikely Carlson gets paired with Chychrun. And while I like Sandin, Fehervary is clearly a better match there.
I know many were immediately claiming Chychrun and Roy should be paired w each other — but I’m not so sure.

Chychrun had historically played better with another offensive D-man. Even HCSC stated that the 2 JC’s could play together (don’t remember where that was, but I’m confident I read it somewhere).

Sandin-Roy *could* be what helps to allow Rasmus the ability to truly grow.

That said, Fever-Roy could spell the same thing.

Net net?

We all know Carlson and Roy are the 2 top RD’s. TVR is seemingly the bottom pair RD.

Chychrun is one of the top 2 LD’s.

Sandin and Fever will battle it out for the other top 2 LD slot, with the “loser” playing with TVR.

Least, that’s as far as a I see it, right now.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
@twabby for need to see 23-24 fancy stats re: Jensen vs Sandin.

I think they were equally ……. Not good. But I’d wager Sandin was slightly less not good.

And one is a lot older than the other.

IMO Sandin will be good this year. He will solidify the top 4, and Fever May end up playing w TVR…..not Sandin w TVR.

Sandin: 2.40 xGF/60, 2.81 xGA/60, 46.06 xGF%, 46.53% OZ Starts
Jensen: 2.17 xGF/60, 2.71 xGA/60, 44.49 xGF%, 31.05% OZ Starts

Sandin was less bad offensively by a bigger margin than Jensen was less bad defensively, but Jensen had the lowest OZ Start% on the blueline while Sandin had the highest. I'd say in the context of their usage Jensen was better, but it's subjective.

In a league-wide context, amongst defensemen with at least 500 minutes at 5 on 5, Sandin's numbers put him in the 34th percentile for xGF/60 and the 20th percentile for xGA/60. The best comps I could find for him (+/- 10 percentiles for each stat, +/- 10 percentage points for OZ starts) are Ilya Lyubushkin, Jake Bean, Pavel Mintyukov, Alec Martinez, Torey Krug, and Bowen Byram. Lyubushkin, Bean, and Martinez are third pairing D who play on the PK. Mintyukov is a 20 year old elite prospect just breaking into the league getting PP and PK time. Byram is a 23 year old elite prospect whose development has been slower than expected but who gets PP and PK time. Torey Krug runs the Blues PP and also PKs. Every guy in this range besides Sandin gets at least a minute a night on the PK. The ones who aren't 3rd pairing types all get 2-3 minutes a night on the PP as well (Byram was only getting 1 minute in Colorado but 2 in Buffalo).

Sandin's status as a defenseman who's bad defensively, pretty bad offensively, doesn't play tough minutes, and doesn't PK is an anomaly. When he loses his PP time with Chychrun here it'll be even more of an anomaly. He doesn't have the size to be physical, and he's not a good skater. He's basically the hockey equivalent of those "inning eater" pitchers in baseball whose only redeeming qualities are the ability to play a lot without getting injured. It's the classic example of a guy who's got just enough skill to look good in a sheltered 3rd pairing role on a good team and dazzles the models but gets exposed when he's asked to play higher in the lineup. Hence bringing in Chychrun to bump him back down to a role he can handle. Give him a year of playing well in easy minutes and it'll be easier to move him to make room for the Chychrun extension.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Chychrun had historically played better with another offensive D-man. Even HCSC stated that the 2 JC’s could play together (don’t remember where that was, but I’m confident I read it somewhere).
You can't really draw that conclusion because he's never been given a chance to play with a defensive D the caliber of Roy. His top partners over the last three years are Gostisbehere, Bernard-Docker, Chabot, Hamonic, and Lyubushkin. Ghost and Chabot are pure offensive defensemen (and LHD to boot), while Bernard-Docker, Hamonic, and Lyubushkin are 3rd pairing types at best. And back in Arizona he actually did better with Lyubushkin than Ghost despite getting 33% OZ Starts with Lyubushkin and 53% OZ Starts with Ghost. Before the last three years, he was almost entirely with yet another offensive LHD in Goligoski (and again, he was still better with Lyubushkin). Matt Roy would be the first strong defensive RHD Chychrun's ever played with. They've gotta give that a chance and see what happens. Chyrchun-Carlson can be the pairing they use when they're trying to climb back into a game or when they've got the goalie pulled, but Chychrun-Roy should absolutely be what they start with.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1721772193152.png

1721772236931.png

About equally as bad.

I liked the Sandin trade quite a bit at the time but as others mentioned he needs to have a much better season next year or the trade and his new contract suddenly look really bad.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Reactions: twabby

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Pretty much a wash…

$6x8 right or am I misremembering?

Someone can pull up my post history but yeah that sounds about right.

Maybe I was a bit high on him, but maybe not! This year will offer more clarity. I don't buy QOC as the reason why he declined this past season. I think he just had a bad season. But that bad season is now a significant portion of his career, so the overall body of work is now very mixed.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Someone can pull up my post history but yeah that sounds about right.

Maybe I was a bit high on him, but maybe not! This year will offer more clarity. I don't buy QOC as the reason why he declined this past season. I think he just had a bad season. But that bad season is now a significant portion of his career, so the overall body of work is now very mixed.
Play him with better players and he’s going to put up better numbers….not $6 mil per better, but acceptable probably at $4.6 if he can find his role….he needs to make some noise in some aspect of special teams.

Reactions: Calicaps

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Play him with better players and he’s going to put up better numbers….not $6 mil per better, but acceptable probably at $4.6 if he can find his role….he needs to make some noise in some aspect of special teams.
The problem with the "play with better players" argument (and this applies to guys like McMichael and Protas as well) is that at some point you need to be the better players uplifting those around you.

I liked the initial trade for Sandin as the right kind of bet for this team to make. He didn't have a good season, but bad years happen and I still believe there's a good player there. I don't get the extension though -- I think there's a significant chance he ends up being a Gustafsson/Schmidt/Barrie/Ghostisbehre type where if you put him in very specific low-leverage scenarios he's a huge positive but gets exposed elsewhere. Useful guys to have but not what you want to pay $4.6M for!

One of the things I appreciate most about GMBM though and hopefully will continue with Patrick is the willingness to move on quickly when something better presents itself. Chychrun and Roy were available and we pounced, even after making the commitment to Sandin.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with the "play with better players" argument (and this applies to guys like McMichael and Protas as well) is that at some point you need to be the better players uplifting those around you.

I liked the initial trade for Sandin as the right kind of bet for this team to make. He didn't have a good season, but bad years happen and I still believe there's a good player there. I don't get the extension though -- I think there's a significant chance he ends up being a Gustafsson/Schmidt/Barrie/Ghostisbehre type where if you put him in very specific low-leverage scenarios he's a huge positive but gets exposed elsewhere. Useful guys to have but not what you want to pay $4.6M for!

One of the things I appreciate most about GMBM though and hopefully will continue with Patrick is the willingness to move on quickly when something better presents itself. Chychrun and Roy were available and we pounced, even after making the commitment to Sandin.

You just can’t have the majority of your team be those secondary players….we have too many as of now…some need to take that next step or 3.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
View attachment 896627

View attachment 896628

About equally as bad.

I liked the Sandin trade quite a bit at the time but as others mentioned he needs to have a much better season next year or the trade and his new contract suddenly look really bad.

What am I missing here? (Yes, I mean me, it's quite possible I don't understand the intent of the numbers Evolving Hockey graphs show.) Sandin has higher Offense and Defense percentile ranks than Jensen, but lower Overall? Could it be the penalty numbers too?

Jensen obviously plays a lot more minutes short-handed, but a lot fewer on the power play, but I assume those are baked into the overall numbers.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
I'm pretty optimistic about the new defensive mix. I feel like the new group should be more productive. Carlson was the only defenseman who scored more than 30 points last year. I have a hard time believing that will be the case next year. The Capitals may remain a bubble team after the new additions, but I think we will see a much better contribution to overall team offense from the back end.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I just hope Carbs has a better plan for team offense next year

I've never seen a Caps team with so little O from the D as last year (which I hope was designed by necessity since the overall offense was so weak); last year's strategy can't be this year's

Hopefully all the additions balance things out

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I just hope Carbs has a better plan for team offense next year

I've never seen a Caps team with so little O from the D as last year (which I hope was designed by necessity since the overall offense was so weak); last year's strategy can't be this year's

Hopefully all the additions balance things out
I don't think it was Carberry's fault at all. It was a perfect storm for a brutally bad offence.

- Ovechkin, Carlson and Oshie declined a lot
- Kuznetsov and Backstrom are not NHL players anymore
- Young guys were not ready for big roles yet. All of Protas, McMichael, Lapierre, Miro had stretches of great hockey, but none of it lasted.
- Wilson developing like most power forwards. His peak has passed.
- Little offence from the blue line, losing Orlov hurt here

It should be better this year, but I'd say we still are missing top line/high skill players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad