Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman III- still nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He's been a NHL regular for 3 years. In those 3 years among goalies he ranks:

Starts - 25th
SV% - 6th
GAA - 6th
SO - 7th
The following clearly does not mean shit about shit or rebut your point. It is intended to add context.

One year before Swayman's arrival:

SV% - 1st
Goals allowed: 1st
Shutouts - 1st

Two years, same drill:

SV% - 7th
Goals allowed - 3rd
Shutouts - 3rd (tied)

Three seasons:

SV% - 9th
Goals allowed - 4th
Shutouts - 15th

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think the overall point is that pointing to 2 bad games where the team defense broke down in front of Sway isn't being particularly fair to him when he was excellent in the other 10. Just like pointing to two bad games for Thomas is obviously ignoring the larger picture of him being one of the main reasons for us winning the cup.

I don't think anyone's actually suggesting that Swayman's run last spring is on par with what Thomas did.

Agreed. He was their best player.

Should be taken in the context of the thread.

Point being made that Swayman deservers a huge contract based on his playoff performance. Though excellent, not close to good enough. Looking at it from management viewpoint as well as posters who feel anything less than a Cup is failure. Doesn't even get past the 2nd round.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Been pointing this out for years. Thomas was lights out, other-wordly at times in 2011 (vs. PHI and VAN), and at other times just pedestrian (vs. MTL and TB). One thing is for certain, the Cup win wasn't solely due to Thomas, he also had one hell of a team in front of him.

Bruins did put up 81 goals in 25 playoff games.

That's pretty damn good.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
When Rask was the #1 and had no competition for that spot, he averaged 60 starts a season from his age 26-30 season. Swayman made 43 starts last season and I don't see asking him to make an extra 17 starts as something that will break him. If anything he seems like the kind of goalie that plays better the more action that he gets.
Which also means he is needed to do in the playoffs. I would like to think that you and others feel that I am anti Sway, far from the truth, I think he could turn out to be a terrific goaltender, but I think he needs to prove more that he can handle the heavier load, before he gets big money. I also might add that, I do not believe there is a Bruins fan that would not like seeing this kid in net opening night.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
How has he "acted" like he's 1st in all those categories? When has his agent said he think Swayman is the bet goalie in the league?
Well he is sure looking for compensation that reflects this.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Which also means he is needed to do in the playoffs. I would like to think that you and others feel that I am anti Sway, far from the truth, I think he could turn out to be a terrific goaltender, but I think he needs to prove more that he can handle the heavier load, before he gets big money. I also might add that, I do not believe there is a Bruins fan that would not like seeing this kid in net opening night.

Rask had taken a similar work load when he was handed a big contract. The difference being Rask backstopped the team to SCF appearance. Swayman did his part in the playoffs, he just got little goal support in the FLA series vs the B's top scorers

Well he is sure looking for compensation that reflects this.

No one really knows what compensation he's looking for. We've heard $10 million, we've heard the McAvoy contract, but no one really knows. I've pointed out and a few other have mentioned numerous times. His numbers/situation is nearly identical to Rask at the same age. Rask CH% with today's cap hit would be $9.5 million on an 8yr deal.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Hope Swayman is talking to management as much as he talks to press about his contract.
Marchand was asked at captain’s practice about his contract and he said that’s between me and management.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Rask had taken a similar work load when he was handed a big contract. The difference being Rask backstopped the team to SCF appearance. Swayman did his part in the playoffs, he just got little goal support in the FLA series vs the B's top scorers

No one really knows what compensation he's looking for. We've heard $10 million, we've heard the McAvoy contract, but no one really knows. I've pointed out and a few other have mentioned numerous times. His numbers/situation is nearly identical to Rask at the same age. Rask CH% with today's cap hit would be $9.5 million on an 8yr deal.
Take a poll , and I would bet your house on it that most fans would no freakn way...

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

Why do we always have to revert back to Rask, let Swayman and his agent construct his own individual contract. Just because Rask got CH% does not mean that the management is looking at this as a factor currently.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Why do we always have to revert back to Rask, let Swayman and his agent construct his own individual contract. Just because Rask got CH% does not mean that the management is looking at this as a factor currently.
That is why you are called the "Analyser"

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I know a lot of the posters here are also avid NFL fans .... I feel NHL management in general looks at goalies the same way as NFL management looks at running backs ....the tide turned a while ago on running backs...most NFL managers don't want to pay them big money for long term due to the risk of underachieving compared to salary expectations..... IMO the same story is happening in the NHL for goalies ...I bet some risk expert actuary crunched the #'s for the goalie position and said ...don't go high $ long term for goalies because the probability of it paying off is low/unfavourable....same as for running backs in the NFL...give Sway some coin but be careful here

Reactions: The Pale King

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Probably praise Thomas more because of giving up 8 goals in a 7-game final than for his play against Tampa. Though he did pitch a shutout (1-0) in must win game 7 against Tampa. Also had a 2-0 shutout in that series.

It’s funny to watch you feverishly defend ullmarks last two abysmal post seasons with sub .900 sv% and 3.5GAA while nit picking swaymans .933 SV% 2.15 GAA

Reactions: lopey

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
25th in Starts is the key measurable here, for me. This is what demands this contract not be a top 5 goalie contract.
Talent-wise he is there. His career just has not been long enough to justify the risk.
He seems very mentally tough, but we don't know about what we don't know about his ability to be the man and the ONLY man. (and in this media deathtrap of a market)
Has nothing to do with Swayman. If you don't think a 25 year old goalie can start 55-60 games I'm not sure what to tell you. Not his fault they did a goalie rotation. People are saying it like he's fragile or injury prone. He didn't control that.

Tuukka Rask season high was 39 starts when he got his bag. What's the difference?

People here are bending over backwards trying to not give the man his money. He's a 25 year old young burgeoning superstar. If you don't want to pay him, sack up and deal him if you're the Bruins. His value should be fantastic.

He is the man at this point, pay him like it.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Agreed. He was their best player.

Should be taken in the context of the thread.

Point being made that Swayman deservers a huge contract based on his playoff performance. Though excellent, not close to good enough. Looking at it from management viewpoint as well as posters who feel anything less than a Cup is failure. Doesn't even get past the 2nd round.
You're insane. Did you miss the Toronto series?

As far as management they have been past the second round once in a decade, so they must really suck, but we know how you feel about them.

Guy was the number one in the play-offs and won his first round. He's the goalie to get them where they want to go. How did the Linus Ullmark era go play-off wise? I'd rather move forward, make him a core player and build upon last year.

Reactions: NeelyDan

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
It’s funny to watch you feverishly defend ullmarks last two abysmal post seasons with sub .900 sv% and 3.5GAA while nit picking swaymans .933 SV% 2.15 GAA
He was injured remember? GM, Linus and goalie Bob all said he was fine, but the couch jockeys say he was hurt. Had to think up something to defend that abysmal performance....then again it's not like he had the greatest regular season team in history in front of him....Oh wait

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You're insane. Did you miss the Toronto series?

As far as management they have been past the second round once in a decade, so they must really suck, but we know how you feel about them.

Guy was the number one in the play-offs and won his first round. He's the goalie to get them where they want to go. How did the Linus Ullmark era go play-off wise? I'd rather move forward, make him a core player and build upon last year.

I think everyone liked Sway but his demands don't match his resume. When was the last time a bruins goalie lost to Toronto?

• Haha
Reactions: BBruins and Pia8988
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad