Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
At Kettler a few months back, and Beagle was the only player not scratched that was signing autographs after practice. I couldnt see who it was across the way, and a woman walked up to me with a freshly inked 83. I should have known.

Best of luck, and safe travels Beags! Head west, furry friend.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Backstrom - Oshie
Burakovsky - Eller - Connolly
? - Stephenson - DSP
? - ?

Kempny - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Djoos - ?
?

Holtby
?

Currently see the competition for 3 available forward positions being Boyd, Gersich, Walker, AJF . . .

Currently see the completion for 2 available defenseman positions being Bowey, Johansen, Seig and possible resigning Orpik and/or Jerabek

Currently see the competition for the back up goalie being Copley and Vanecek.

I'd say without any vet signings we're looking at Boyd as the 4th line spot and Walker as the 13th forward. Especially given the waiver situation. Gersich goes to the AHL to tear it up for a season before he comes back to replace Connolly the following year.

Bowey's going to take that D spot and we're likely looking at signing a Taylor Chorney style player to sit in the press box and possibly rotate in from time to time to get Djoos or Bowey a break. Unless they want to test a guy like Lewington out as the 7th since he's most likely a tweener/bottom pairing guy the rest of his career and already plays with the physical edge that could keep him afloat in the NHL. LuJo and Seig really both need another year of heavy minutes in Hershey and would not benefit from playing 20 games in DC and watching the other 60 from the press box.

Goaltending backup is either Copley or a vet. No chance Vanacek makes the team. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see him get loaned out to another team who could offer more minutes if Samsonov really takes the reigns and becomes the clear #1 in Hershey. Don't see him going to South Carolina because of Parker Milner and his ECHL superstar status.

Reactions: Roshi

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Really happy for Beagle. Too bad it couldn’t happen in DC, but he’s got his name on the Cup as a Cap and no one can take that away. His first game back at CapOne will be a heartwrencher for sure.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm not trying to be contentious here but why? Why can't Ovechkin and Backstrom and Niskanen, even Carlson, the vet guys, not be the "glue" guys? They won, everybody coming back knows what it takes now.

I think the need would be bottom pair or bottom 6. All the guys you mentioned are top end players. That’s important, I get it. But it seems they may need a “leader” on the lower levels.

Pitt lost Cullen ... and Cole. Not great players per say, but guys that glued it together.

Could be DSP for the Caps. Maybe. In defense? Don’t see anyone now (hence the Orpik discussion)

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010
Who on this list that the Caps can afford, with the approx. 3 mil the Caps will have left, would you even want?

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-ufa-list-1.1122295

Riley Nash is the only one I even like and he is getting a decent bump IF he leaves Boston at all.
Mark Letestu. If we could get a sweet deal on him I’d be all over that. Haven’t heard much about him and the guy is a Swiss Army knife.

The Instigator

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010
As far as backup goalies go (if they decide to go that route) someone like Anton Khudobin or Chad Johnson make sense to me. I think Lehtonen and that group will look for more games than they’ll get here. Those two options are probably a little expensive for us though once a strictly backup role.

Maybe a reclamation project like Pavelec or Lack make more sense.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
As insane as it sounds....the price for Karlsson is dropping. There are even suggestions that Ottawa could retain salary.

Huh. It’s so intriguing.

BUT — you have to be concerned w chemistry and all that. Plus the cost to acquire, while doing so w/out getting Ryan in the deal, should be substantial?

I dunno :dunno:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah but Cole was 26 and 27, not 38. If they bring Orpik back I guarantee by game 30 we will be praying for an injury so he can come out of the lineup cause this fairy tale he will only play 50 or so games is crazy.

Jerabek and Chaisson won't be back, so at least that clears two spots.

Nah, some of us root FOR our own players....

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
As far as backup goalies go (if they decide to go that route) someone like Anton Khudobin or Chad Johnson make sense to me. I think Lehtonen and that group will look for more games than they’ll get here. Those two options are probably a little expensive for us though once a strictly backup role.

Maybe a reclamation project like Pavelec or Lack make more sense.

I think this year shows they should want a Goalie who can play 20 or 30 games for them. No reason for Holtby to be run into the ground again, let him play 50 or 60 games a year and the backup play 20 or so.

As insane as it sounds....the price for Karlsson is dropping. There are even suggestions that Ottawa could retain salary.

Huh. It’s so intriguing.

BUT — you have to be concerned w chemistry and all that. Plus the cost to acquire, while doing so w/out getting Ryan in the deal, should be substantial?

I dunno :dunno:

It's not really the chemistry it's that there's no room. Had they done a sign and trade of Carlson for Karlsson, maybe but there's no reason to trade Niskanen who's on a fantastic contract for what he brings for the next 3 years (or break up a known shutdown #1 line in Orlov - Niskanen) to play with Karlsson.

You don't trade big, or sign Carlson to big money, to play them 18 minutes a night on the 3rd pair. I also think Kempney/Djoos and Bowey can be a pretty good 3rd line. Djoos and Bowey weren't awful together last year and I'm curious how Djoos will handled being moved back to the left side.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Like the fact they are looking at some veteran UFA goalies..Copley's play last year probably not something you want to rely on. Also, as seeming played out this past season, Holtby rested for the playoffs paid the ultimate dividends in SC category.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'm sad.

Vancouver will play on october 3rd too.

So Beagle won't be there for the banner.

I hope that Orpik won't sign with an other team, so he'll be able to attend as a Cap or as a FA the banner night.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Mark Letestu. If we could get a sweet deal on him I’d be all over that. Haven’t heard much about him and the guy is a Swiss Army knife.

NO!!! I've watched a ton of Oiler games the past few years and his game is garbage. He can only score or get points on the PP which he will never come close to sniffing if he is in D.C.

Signing him would be like the equivalent of the Pens signing Jack Johnson, very stupid.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Like the fact they are looking at some veteran UFA goalies..Copley's play last year probably not something you want to rely on. Also, as seeming played out this past season, Holtby rested for the playoffs paid the ultimate dividends in SC category.

Pretty much the only place I'm ok with bringing a veteran player in is in net. ;)

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
I think this year shows they should want a Goalie who can play 20 or 30 games for them. No reason for Holtby to be run into the ground again, let him play 50 or 60 games a year and the backup play 20 or so.

My thoughts as well. Although Holtby carried them in the playoffs, it's hard to know what the team this past season would have done without a fully competent backup (maaco's position notwithstanding). After some early season inconsistencies (and poor support by skaters), Gruby stepped in and played heavy minutes and played them well. I'm not sure that relying on an unproven Copley or a cheap backup is the way to go next year. Hoping BMac and pro scouts with input from Korn perhaps can ID a reasonably cheap stopgap. Someone who will take a bit less than he could get elsewhere for a chance with the Cup winners. (It's nice to be able to type that!)

Reactions: calicapsfan

Jun 15, 2007
Veteran backups are super cheap and easy to acquire at any time I think. Go with Copley and if he falters, give Samsonov a shot and if that doesn't work, we can trade for Halak or someone.

The Instigator

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010
NO!!! I've watched a ton of Oiler games the past few years and his game is garbage. He can only score or get points on the PP which he will never come close to sniffing if he is in D.C.

Signing him would be like the equivalent of the Pens signing Jack Johnson, very stupid.
I live in Alberta. You don’t have to preach how many Oilers games you’ve seen. I know exactly what he brings to the table.

I praised his versatility, not his scoring ability.

I’m pretty sure only 5 or 6 of his points came on the power play.

I specifically said if we could get him for a sweet deal, not Jack Johnson term and money.

You obviously didn’t read what I wrote past the name and you obviously don’t know enough about the player to make such an emphatic response. If you had a legitimate gripe, for example, his deteriorating foot speed I would give you the point.

He is what he is at this point. He’s a bottom line guy who can play all positions, is good in the locker room, can play tough situations and is a hard worker with a nose for the net. If for some reason there is no interest in him right away, then he’s worth a look for pennies on the dollar. That’s all I’m saying.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is sarcasm right?

You, me, and 99% of posters on this forum wanted Orpik out of the lineup last season basically from October until the puck dropped against the Jackets.

I never did....I understand players have ups and downs and players get hurt and it all impacts performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad