Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

wonder if this is the caps

I really don’t know this G at all. Seems to be another Copley type. I’d wager they’d want someone with more staying power if they are adding another G. Like a Halak or Pavalec.

I starting to warm to the notion that Caps need to split the season 50/30 or so in games played. Like last year truly maximized Holtby (maybe for the first time in a long time?) for the playoffs. Need to do that again.

I fear Copley cannot.

I was fully in the camp that they should not sign a vet G. But, I think I was wrong. Depending on the G. This guy from Florida is not that G, IMO.

Pass

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
I really don’t know this G at all. Seems to be another Copley type. I’d wager they’d want someone with more staying power if they are adding another G. Like a Halak or Pavalec.

I starting to warm to the notion that Caps need to split the season 50/30 or so in games played. Like last year truly maximized Holtby (maybe for the first time in a long time?) for the playoffs. Need to do that again.

I fear Copley cannot.

I was fully in the camp that they should not sign a vet G. But, I think I was wrong. Depending on the G. This guy from Florida is not that G, IMO.

Pass

fwiw
Harri Sateri hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun recently reported the Vegas Golden Knights, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals and San Jose Sharks showed “varying degrees of interest.” The Senators aren’t interested in a lowball return for Karlsson and could also attempt to package high-salaried right wing Bobby Ryan in the deal.

not sure if mentioned. but id assume after kempny signed thats gone

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I still think Bura gets traded. So it’s possible

If you can somehow get one of the best d in the league then you get him. A long shot but still possible

That’s what I was saying earlier. The D depth would be — nutso.

Have to imagine at minimum Burakovsky and Bowey would get traded.

That would open 4m or so in space, to add to the 8m they have now. EK at 6m and TW at 4m would leave around 2m to spare to round out roster. Gersich at 900k. Then? Ness at 650k as 7th (shudder). Wouldn’t be able to carry 23. Would only be 22

No clue what the D pairings would look like.

EK - JC
DO - MN
CJ - MK

? It’s a total pipe dream. Plus it will take a lot more than Bura, Bowey, and picks to get EK if you can’t take Ryan back w him.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I never did....I understand players have ups and downs and players get hurt and it all impacts performance.

I swear I am not trying to be a jerk but yes you did, I went back through post history and you called for him to be moved/benched many times this past season.

I understand this sentimental stuff, I really do, but let’s not let a handful of decent games by Orpik overshadow how horrible he was last season. Great leader but it’s time to move on while the fans still have all these good feelings about Orpik.

p.s. You also said “you’ve accepted the fact that Ovechkin will never lead the Caps to a Cup”. ;)

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I still think Bura gets traded. So it’s possible

If you can somehow get one of the best d in the league then you get him. A long shot but still possible
I would wager you are entirely wrong about Burakovsky. GMBM re-signed all but 2 FAs (I know Willy’s not done yet)... and what do those 2 have in common? They were the Caps’ 2 oldest players last season (except Ovie by almost exactly a month).

MacLellan wants a younger, faster squad. He’s not letting Burt go before seeing how he performs under the new coaching regime.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
1. NHL network is showing edited broadcasts of the finals right now. They edited out Holtby's game 2 save. I was dumbfounded

2. This forum is going to be epic if Orpik signs. I can't wait.

I welcome it. I think he’d be a very solid add at a lower cap hit. We all know the frustration around him was mostly due to cost. If he’d been a 1.5m player, people would’ve loved him.

As it is, people loved him this playoffs. So it’s there for people to kindle....just need to strip away the negativity (5.5m space) and look at him for what he is. A warrior and leader.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I welcome it. I think he’d be a very solid add at a lower cap hit. We all know the frustration around him was mostly due to cost. If he’d been a 1.5m player, people would’ve loved him.

As it is, people loved him this playoffs. So it’s there for people to kindle....just need to strip away the negativity (5.5m space) and look at him for what he is. A warrior and leader.

I never once thought about Orpik’s contract when he was getting walked by 4th line players game in and game out.

If they sign him I will hate it because it is a backwards move for the organization, nothing more nothing less.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I never once thought about Orpik’s contract when he was getting walked by 4th line players game in and game out.

If they sign him I will hate it because it is a backwards move for the organization, nothing more nothing less.

It wasn’t game in and game out, that’s hyperbole. He def had some rough patches, but let’s look at what happened in the playoffs.

Do they win the Cup without him? Easy to argue “no”.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I am looking forward to more Orpik

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It wasn’t game in and game out, that’s hyperbole. He def had some rough patches, but let’s look at what happened in the playoffs.

Do they win the Cup without him? Easy to argue “no”.

People that think players like Orpik don't belong in the game won't ever get it.

The idea that the Caps would trade him to get out from under his cap hit only to sign him back on the team will be enough for some heads to explode.

Oprik traded=best day of the post season. Orpik back on the team at any cost=worst day of the year.

It means the MacLellan and Rierden really want him on the team.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014

okay question, who do you like on the team? seems you criticize everyone

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Who takes Orpik's role if he doesn't return? Somebody physical, so definitely not Djoos. Jerabek is largely untested (and unsigned). Maybe Siegenthaler in a year or two. Not Nessie. Anyone else under contract? Orpik at $1-1.5m for 50 to 60 games could be the best option.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Who takes Orpik's role if he doesn't return? Somebody physical, so definitely not Djoos. Jerabek is largely untested (and unsigned). Maybe Siegenthaler in a year or two. Not Nessie. Anyone else under contract? Orpik at $1-1.5m for 50 to 60 games could be the best option.
Only thing we have like that in the organization is Tyler Lewington. Tossed the idea of him being the #7 around if we don't sign a Chorney style depth vet but I don't think he's really good enough to play 82 games and not get exposed.

Reactions: RandyHolt

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
People that think players like Orpik don't belong in the game won't ever get it.

The idea that the Caps would trade him to get out from under his cap hit only to sign him back on the team will be enough for some heads to explode.

Oprik traded=best day of the post season. Orpik back on the team at any cost=worst day of the year.

It means the MacLellan and Rierden really want him on the team.

Damn, you really are a special case, for a SC winning fan. BMac's apparent willingness to move on from Trotz, Beagle, and Orpik must've hit you hard right in the intangibles.

The team is set, relax -- there's just Wilson left to sign, and reserving enough money for the remaining spots at the ~min.

After that, for the remaining cap space nobody is gonna bat an eye if they decide to bring back Orpik, or another vet D, or a vet 4C, or a vet backup goalie, or Mickey Mouse, or bank it. It's all good, cherries on top of a giant cake.

"Heads to explode"... delusional.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
okay question, who do you like on the team? seems you criticize everyone

Me? I don't think I do that at all. Heck I wasn't even as hard on Orpik as most people, but I did realize the game speed had passed Orpik by. His biggest plus for this team was his ability on the PK.

As to your question, I've been pretty consistent, don't think Burakovsky will be what I thought when he was drafted and I will criticize him from time to time. It sucks because I love his skill set, his issues are mental and the fact that he over thinks every play, unless it's a breakaway. ;)

I won't mind losing Beagle, we got the best out of him and he did a lot of little things very well, but again sometimes you have to move on at exactly the right time and this is it for him.

I have always posted about Carlson that I've never thought of him as a true 1A but I have always said he steps up during the playoffs, just as he did this year.

That's about it, I think everyone else on the team is pretty competent in the roles that have been assigned to them.

p.s. I was in favor of starting Grubs over Holtby, but I always thought Holtby's stuff was mental and not his actual goaltending skill.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I swear I am not trying to be a jerk but yes you did, I went back through post history and you called for him to be moved/benched many times this past season.

I understand this sentimental stuff, I really do, but let’s not let a handful of decent games by Orpik overshadow how horrible he was last season. Great leader but it’s time to move on while the fans still have all these good feelings about Orpik.

p.s. You also said “you’ve accepted the fact that Ovechkin will never lead the Caps to a Cup”. ;)

Yes I did, that’s what Orpik was for clearly. :)

Reactions: Sam Spade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad