Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
After that, for the remaining cap space nobody is gonna bat an eye if they decide to bring back Orpik, or another vet D, or a vet 4C, or a vet backup goalie, or Mickey Mouse, or bank it. It's all good, cherries on top of a giant cake.

I feel this way as well, I won't care either way, I just don't think for the team on the ice it is a smart move. To each their own I guess.

Some turnover is important, fresh hungry blood and all (see every team to win the Cup in the last ten years.). Losing Beagle and healthy scratch Alex Chiasson is pretty meh.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i am ok with orpik if his contract is cheap, he plays limited mins, not all 80 games, 6-7 defense role... and is fresh for the po.

so basically if all the moves the caps need to do are made... only then they could look at a cheap orpik deal for 1-2 years.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I welcome it. I think he’d be a very solid add at a lower cap hit. We all know the frustration around him was mostly due to cost. If he’d been a 1.5m player, people would’ve loved him.

The frustration was cost and the role he was being forced to play, the latter not in anyway his fault. Once he was able to slide back to the 3rd pairing and was no longer being asked to play 22 minutes a game as Carlson’s partner his play improved significantly IMO. It wasn’t his fault they didn’t have anyone to play next to Carlson until they picked up Kempny.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The frustration was cost and the role he was being forced to play, the latter not in anyway his fault. Once he was able to slide back to the 3rd pairing and was no longer being asked to play 22 minutes a game as Carlson’s partner his play improved significantly IMO. It wasn’t his fault they didn’t have anyone to play next to Carlson until they picked up Kempny.

Iirc Orpik was only playing 20 and with Carlson while Niskanen was out. When 2 returned Djoos got that assignment. Kempny didn't play anymore than Orpik did. Their roles were just different.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
/// Some turnover is important, fresh hungry blood and all (see every team to win the Cup in the last ten years.). Losing Beagle and healthy scratch Alex Chiasson is pretty meh.

Don't forget, the farewells include Gruby and most likely Jerabek.

Turnover is a good thing, if done with a purpose (or purposes). A bunch of it happened to the Caps during the prior off-season. Losing Williams, Alzner, Mojo, among others. Much of it they had little or no control over. Due to departures and injuries (Osh, Nisky, others), Caps had to throw a bunch of kids and borderline guys into games and roles that they weren't ready for/accustomed to. Things worked out, for the most part.

With or without Orpik's return, I expect some change during the coming season, too. In addition to injuries, mgmt will have a better idea of who among the young guys can be dealt - either during the season in case something like an injury requires it, or at deadline to nab a "missing piece."

I have no special place in my heart for trying to get the band back together without a good reason. We'll see what BMac is able to put together for opening night.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Iirc Orpik was only playing 20 and with Carlson while Niskanen was out. When 2 returned Djoos got that assignment. Kempny didn't play anymore than Orpik did. Their roles were just different.

If there was only some place we could go to find this information...

He was already playing 22 minutes a game before Niskanen went down, including almost 25 minutes in the 1st game of the season. Niskanen came back in mid November and it wasn’t until mid December when they finally started backing off his regular ice time a bit. And then after the deadline they stepped it down a decent amount again.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Who takes Orpik's role if he doesn't return? Somebody physical, so definitely not Djoos. Jerabek is largely untested (and unsigned). Maybe Siegenthaler in a year or two. Not Nessie. Anyone else under contract? Orpik at $1-1.5m for 50 to 60 games could be the best option.
I'm guessing Kempny would take the PK time, and they'd ride the kids until the deadline. As for the physical part, I'd bet on a collective emphasis rather than one player in that role.

Mind you, this is just under the assumption they dont bring 44 back. I'd be happy with either outcome for him.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If some LD gets injured while playing PK... it will just open the door for LuJo or Siege to show their skills (both guys are bigger and billed as defensively solid).

Dont want Orlov to risk himself too much but... why not? Carlson and Nisky are there all the time and I think both were't injured due to blocking shots lately.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I was unaware that games played was the key decider. I don’t see an improvement that is worth trading something away and then paying an extra 350k a year. To me you we should either look for something that better or stay pat. And on top of that if you bring him in you have to get rid of Copley because you have nowhere to play him

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hershey depth may be the only lock but there's a decent case for 4C, third pair D and 2G on the cheap. I'd say just value period and maybe younger, PKer types in particular. The D question likely rests on Orpik. Outside of him in a thin market, the best value bets may be Davidson, Claesson, Emelin, Folin or DeMelo.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
so what do we expect the caps to do tomorrow?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad