Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
In like a week Brouwer scored the game 7 game winner for StL against Chicago and Oshie had a game 1 hat trick against the Pens with the OT game winner.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Dowd avg FOW % is 49.1, the last 3 seasons he's a little north of 52%.
Stephenson's avg is 53.6%, last year he was 54.8.
4C seems ok for now, but man would I love to have a guy like Y. Perreault or J. Otto work with the
centers, possession and winning draws makes such a difference.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
To be fair, Brouwer did have a legitimately good post-season for the Blues in his one season in St. Louis. He played himself into a fat contract with Calgary and immediately imploded into a 4th liner. But for that season that the Blues got out of Brouwer, it was a change-of-scenery deal that legitimately worked out well for both teams.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dowd avg FOW % is 49.1, the last 3 seasons he's a little north of 52%.
Stephenson's avg is 53.6%, last year he was 54.8.
4C seems ok for now, but man would I love to have a guy like Y. Perreault or J. Otto work with the
centers, possession and winning draws makes such a difference.

Joel Otto...lol...way to date yourself. ;)

Reactions: calicapsfan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Orpik as coach thing needs to go away. It made some sense when people were spitballing ideas to coax him into retirement so the Caps could get him off the books. But now he’s off the books, so there’s no point in ramming him into a coaching role.

If Orpik wants to coach (a bit if), he should work his way up the ranks like everyone else. At this point there would be virtually no separation between Orpik the player and Orpik the coach. Nor is there any particular notion that he’s an exceptional hockey mind or exceptional teacher of the game.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So either way its likely the "speculation" that he might look to re-sign has a little momentum. Still unlikely but its there

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It is odd to me that he is hanging out with a team that traded him. Tells me there is some sort of relationship still going on.
Johansson trained with the Caps for a while after being traded last year. It’s not that uncommon, especially considering Orpik has yet to sign with a new team.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Johansson trained with the Caps for a while after being traded last year. It’s not that uncommon, especially considering Orpik has yet to sign with a new team.

Didn't know that, thanks. I would have assumed Johansson would have wanted to train with his new team and build some bonds. Orpik is a different situation, but I like that he is hanging around.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The Orpik as coach thing needs to go away. It made some sense when people were spitballing ideas to coax him into retirement so the Caps could get him off the books. But now he’s off the books, so there’s no point in ramming him into a coaching role.

If Orpik wants to coach (a bit if), he should work his way up the ranks like everyone else. At this point there would be virtually no separation between Orpik the player and Orpik the coach. Nor is there any particular notion that he’s an exceptional hockey mind or exceptional teacher of the game.
There certainly is. Plenty of commentary from Caps' teammates about Orpik giving them little tips about positioning on a certain play, mistakes they made on a particular shift, etc.

And many ex-players don't work there way up the ranks. Doug Weight, Rod Brind'Amour, Rick Tocchet, and others went straight into the NHL assistant ranks. Reirden's experience coaching defensemen would ease the transition.

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad