Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
So who has to go through waivers before they are sent back to Hershey? I know Madison Bowey and Nathan Walker from last season, but will Travis Boyd have to go through waivers now and are there any others.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Djoos and Bowey need to play and can’t go to Hershey. They should sign a cheap #7 and add a defenseman at the deadline if they need to.

With Beagle leaving they should add one more veteran bottom 6 player, I guess they could bring back Chiasson who is meh.

Who on this list that the Caps can afford, with the approx. 3 mil the Caps will have left, would you even want?

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-ufa-list-1.1122295

Riley Nash is the only one I even like and he is getting a decent bump IF he leaves Boston at all.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I glanced at capfriendly... The team's cap structure looks great now and in the foreseeable future -- even in 3-4 years, when Backstrom+Holtby and then Ovi+Niskanen are up.

Even Oshie's contract does not look like a big issue... I don't think they'll have a problem keeping Vrana & Bura either way, barring something exceptional, like the cap ceiling freezing for a couple of years in a row, or somebody going supernova -- which would be a nice problem to have.

Pretty unreal, how it all came together... A meteorite must've exploded near BMac's house in February -- the Eller contract, and then the Kempny trade and everything up to now has been pretty much flawless.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
If the Caps learned nothing from this season it has to be you can do it with kids. The Pens won back to back with this philosophy. Of course the vets do most of the heavy lifting but giving kids a chance is so important for the organization.

Do precisely what they did last year. Run with the youth until the deadline. If it's working, great. If not, make a trade.

Agree with the above.

Winning the President's Trophy doesn't get you a bye in the playoffs, and we know that having a RS juggernaut gets you squat in the post-season. Last season confirmed that the RS is a great time to give new guys a chance to play, get the bugs out of your system, and try to overcome injuries that can't be foreseen but you know will happen. Ultimately, you do whatever you have to do to finish high enough to make the loffs. It's a (possibly delicate) balance, because in addition to test-driving the new guys you need a cohort of dependable vets to steady the ship from time to time.

In BMac (and Ross and other staff) we trust!

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Djoos-Carlson and Kempny-Bowey for the regular season could be not bad maybe. Jerabek doesnt add anything longterm or significant difference short term. So #7 is kinda irrelevant. Mike Green, right, on 1M contract.

RS should tell the story for Bowey and Kempny. Overall readiness for Madison and PK abilities for Michal. That should be a solid pair imho, capable of doing damage and holding their own.

Djoos-Bowey doesnt sound like best environment for both.

If at some point Reirden thinks Bowey isnt ready again then sit him. But I remember Hershey guys telling he was on another level after being sent down (after deadline). 100-150 more games and maybe he's good to go. Why dismiss him now?

Reactions: RandyHolt

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I glanced at capfriendly... The team's cap structure looks great now and in the foreseeable future -- even in 3-4 years, when Backstrom+Holtby and then Ovi+Niskanen are up.

Even Oshie's contract does not look like a big issue... I don't think they'll have a problem keeping Vrana & Bura either way, barring something exceptional, like the cap ceiling freezing for a couple of years in a row, or somebody going supernova -- which would be a nice problem to have.

Pretty unreal, how it all came together... A meteorite must've exploded near BMac's house in February -- the Eller contract, and then the Kempny trade and everything up to now has been pretty much flawless.

McClellan is a one cutthroat motherf***er and that is why the Caps are in such a good position when it comes to the salary cap.

Said immediately Shattenkirk won't be retained, moved the redundant/not needed Marcus because he knew he had to sign Kuzy and Orlov. Knew they had to get younger and FASTER didn't even negotiate with Williams and Alzner. Got Eller re-signed with no bump, didn't make a dumb trade at the deadline and kept their picks in a deep draft. Got Kempny for good money, got Carlson for about 500k less than I thought he would, and now he is letting Beagle go because he won't be sentimental (which you can't be).

I knew he would be ok from his first presser with his refreshing candor, and no bullshit interviews.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be surprised if they didn't sign a veteran glue guy type to help replace 83/44. They could perhaps wait until the deadline and bank cap space if they don't really like their options in free agency but that will come with an acquisition cost. It is tempting to turn it over to the kids and, when it comes to the PK, just rely more on Eller, Stephenson & Kempny. But I think they probably need a faceoff guy at least, shifting Stephenson over to wing. They may also need more of a steadying presence on the third pair opposite Djoos. They're still going to want to win and try to avoid any drama earlier in Reirden's tenure. He may have the developmental chops to take on extra responsibilities getting younger players up to speed in various roles but I'm not sure that's ideal with this particular group of vets or young players.

They should have around $4M to spend on one forward, one defenseman and perhaps a slight net upgrade in a back-up. That seems pretty doable. It's tough to outright block a younger player but Djoos isn't entirely safe just yet. Same probably goes for Stephenson or, if need be, either winger on the third line. Or DSP if he's slow and lacking energy. There would still be some lineup flexibility even if they were to add a vet center and third pair D. Not as much but it'd raise the stakes further.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
TIL Beagle was last on the Caps among forwards at PK GAA while Stephenson was 1st.

I want Orpik at 1x1.5M, Halak 1x1M among UFAs

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'd be surprised if they didn't sign a veteran glue guy type to help replace 83/44.

I'm not trying to be contentious here but why? Why can't Ovechkin and Backstrom and Niskanen, even Carlson, the vet guys, not be the "glue" guys? They won, everybody coming back knows what it takes now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Wow.
I'm not trying to be contentious here but why? Why can't Ovechkin and Backstrom and Niskanen, even Carlson, the vet guys, not be the "glue" guys? They won, everybody coming back knows what it takes now.
They're still going to need depth guys that lay it all on the line and can kill penalties. AJF might get there but I'm not sure they can assume that, just as they can't assume Stephenson will be as effective as they'd like at center.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Because glue guy comes naturally far more than it is learned. The glue guy usually has to forward more effort and more dedication on and off the ice on order have an nhl job. That's why they are glue. Its not always that way. Kozy was glue but only to a certain extent.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
What's your thinking on Halak? He's been pretty bad for the last few years.
Feel like he was overworked last year in terms of shot and minutes, numbers have been solid except for last year, Caps certainly need a goalie so they don’t have to call up Samsonov if there’s an injury, Halak is the one guy who’d take a 1 year deal where if you’ve got to start him in a big game you’re not scared of a letdown immediately after a bad goal.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I saw this a bit ok for what's worth, so not much. ;)

Dunno how much I trust them, but they've been in the ball park for us a few times this year so I've at least been keeping an eye on it.

Lehtonen would be a great backup for a year imo.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Dunno how much I trust them, but they've been in the ball park for us a few times this year so I've at least been keeping an eye on it.

Lehtonen would be a great backup for a year imo.

I don't trust any of the rumor guys but this person has gotten a lot of Caps stuff right so I pay 60% attention.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I don't mind a veteran 4th liner/good PK/faceoff guy as a camp try out but would prefer to see how it shakes out with Steph/DSP/Boyd/Gersich. Could pick up a 4th line PKer during the season or at the trade deadline for the playoffs run if need be.

Was thinking the past couple of days that having Bura start to PK would be great with his size and speed plus when a young player starts to PK it does add something to their game in a good way even at even strength.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Vrana - Backstrom - Oshie
Burakovsky - Eller - Connolly
? - Stephenson - DSP
? - ?

Kempny - Carlson
Orlov - Niskanen
Djoos - ?
?

Holtby
?

Currently see the competition for 3 available forward positions being Boyd, Gersich, Walker, AJF . . .

Currently see the completion for 2 available defenseman positions being Bowey, Johansen, Seig and possible resigning Orpik and/or Jerabek

Currently see the competition for the back up goalie being Copley and Vanecek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad