Speculation: Caps General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2018-19 We Are The Champions Edition - Pt. 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Bummer. But good on Beagle for getting paid. He deserves it. The 'Nucks are my second team too, so that's nice.

Similar to when Jeff Halpern signed with Dallas. Put in your time, do a good job, and get your payday elsewhere if necessary.

If he signs for only a couple of seasons, Caps can always get Beags back via a deadline deal in 2020.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
This is similar to my take.

Boyd might have a bit of an edge at the 4C competition due to him being a right handed draw (and all of Backstrom, Kuzy, Eller, and Stephenson being left handed draws). But Boyd isn't a PKer and definitely isn't someone I would trust with frequent defensive zone starts. I think Boyd slots in better as a "5C" type that can hop anywhere into the lineup when someone is hurt than an everyday 4C.

On the other hand, I like Stephenson better on the wing than I do at center, although maybe that shifts sligthly if he's tasked primarily with defensive responsibilities.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Caps go out and try to nab a cheap 4C in free agency. Or possibly even waiver wire/camp invite. Torrey Mitchell might make sense if he's willing to take a one year deal. His faceoff% and draws taken dropped a bit in 2017-18, but he had over 50% and over 700 draws taken in both of the years before that. Plus he was still at 53.8% against righties last year and 51.3% in the defensive zone.

100% agree with all of this. I'd like to see Boyd make the team straight up on merit first, not because we're desperate for a righty. No reason he can't take draws as a wing and I would prefer a 4C with defensive/PK acumen.

Agreed on Stephenson, too. I'd keep developing him exactly as we have -- let him play wing, let him push all the young guys for time higher in the lineup, give him some C looks when injury dictates, focus on his PK game. I really like this kid and his versatility.

The only drawback to signing a 4C is that it'd close the door for development spots in the lineup barring injury -- Stephenson/UFA/Devo. So it'd be great if one of our kids could make the jump, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring the right guy in.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I don't like the fit with Boyd at 4C and I don't think Reirden would either. But I also think Stephenson is a better winger than centre. Lots of decisions.

I personally don't believe so but who knows. Boyd pretty much played a top 6 scoring role in the AHL, whether if was at center or on the wing. He never PKed and was strictly viewed as a playmaker. I'd guess he'd make the roster as the extra forward but not get a ton of games barring any injuries.

This is similar to my take.

Boyd might have a bit of an edge at the 4C competition due to him being a right handed draw (and all of Backstrom, Kuzy, Eller, and Stephenson being left handed draws). But Boyd isn't a PKer and definitely isn't someone I would trust with frequent defensive zone starts. I think Boyd slots in better as a "5C" type that can hop anywhere into the lineup when someone is hurt than an everyday 4C.

On the other hand, I like Stephenson better on the wing than I do at center, although maybe that shifts sligthly if he's tasked primarily with defensive responsibilities.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Caps go out and try to nab a cheap 4C in free agency. Or possibly even waiver wire/camp invite. Torrey Mitchell might make sense if he's willing to take a one year deal. His faceoff% and draws taken dropped a bit in 2017-18, but he had over 50% and over 700 draws taken in both of the years before that. Plus he was still at 53.8% against righties last year and 51.3% in the defensive zone.
Assuming they do not sign a vet 4C to take Beagle's place, my belief is that the 4th line moves away from being a defensive line and moves toward being a youthful energy line. This puts Boyd and Pinho in line for that 4th line if they require a RHC.

For PK, they would have to rely on 18-43 | 20-25 | 19-77 with maybe one of the young 4th liners taking some turns here. The more I look at it, the more I think they will probably bring in a defensive 4C like Hivemind mentioned above.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Don't really see de Haan as a fit with Orlov, Kempny, and Djoos on the roster at LD and de Haan likely commanding a decent chunk of change.

Nash would also like command more than a 4C's salary after scoring 40 points with Boston.

If I'm looking for a 4C option in UFA I'm looking squarely at Nick Shore. Right handed, youngish (25 years old), career 50.3% FO%, good defensive numbers at ES, plenty of PKing experience, and would almost certainly come in less than $1 million. This would be ideal because if a guy in the system beats out Shore then who cares, bury Shore in the minors with no effect on the cap. If Shore does work out then he's young enough to perhaps keep longer term.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
If I'm looking for a 4C option in UFA I'm looking squarely at Nick Shore. Right handed, young (25 years old), career 50.3% FO%, good defensive numbers at ES, plenty of PKing experience, and would almost certainly come in less than $1 million. This would be ideal because if a guy in the system beats out Shore then who cares, bury Shore in the minors with no effect on the cap. If Shore does work out then he's young enough to perhaps keep longer term.
Nick Shore is a low risk move that you wouldn't mind having to waive if someone beats him out in camp. Definitely.

Reactions: Hivemind and twabby

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Honestly, I wouldn't be totally opposed to giving Eric Fehr a camp tryout or league minimum deal to see if he could earn a 4C spot. I know he lost out on the numbers game in Toronto, but San Jose played him as a 4C during their playoff run. He's probably not ideal, so I wouldn't guarantee him a roster spot. But in providing competition for the gig, I think he'd do fine. Just a month older than Beagle.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It must be a little demoralizing for the young kids to see a UFA inked at their position. Heart sinks, sigh. Back to Hershey, and secretly hoping for you know what.

Agreed. We don't need Orpik back!!! Let Seigenthaler or Johansen or Hobbs, or even Bowey get a shot!! Let Gersich or AFJ or Boyd get a legit shot to play 4th line minutes next season. If one can't handle it, next one up.

If the Caps learned nothing from this season it has to be you can do it with kids. The Pens won back to back with this philosophy. Of course the vets do most of the heavy lifting but giving kids a chance is so important for the organization.

Last edited:

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Honestly, I wouldn't be totally opposed to giving Eric Fehr a camp tryout or league minimum deal to see if he could earn a 4C spot. I know he lost out on the numbers game in Toronto, but San Jose played him as a 4C during their playoff run. He's probably not ideal, so I wouldn't guarantee him a roster spot. But in providing competition for the gig, I think he'd do fine. Just a month older than Beagle.
That's so 2013

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Calvin de Haan and Riley Nash intriguing possibilities, esp. if Orpik isn't returning.

I don't like Calvin de Haan as an option. I did few months back because he's a good, slightly underrated player but this UFA D crop is absolutely brutal and there are lots of teams scrambling for defense. Someone is going to pay him too much, and hopefully it's not us.

Enstrom would be a solid option if Orpik isn't coming back. I wonder how big offers he'll get in the market though. It's worth a shot trying to convince him to come chase the Cup for smaller short-term contract seeing as (apart from last year) he's spent his entire career in terrible teams (11 full seasons and 15 Playoff games, 11 came last year).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Enstrom will get much better offers than the Capitals would be willing to give him at this point. He'd be worth considering more seriously if Kempny had walked away.

Reactions: Koized

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
de Haan missed an entire season with a shoulder that required surgery, pass.

Check out Enstrom's games played the last four seasons as well.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Agreed. We don't need Orpik back!!! Let Seigenthaler or Johansen or Hobbs, or even Bowey get a shot!! Let Gersich or AFJ or Boyd get a legit shot to play 4th line minutes next season. If one can't handle it, next one up.

If the Caps learned nothing from this season it has to be you can do it with kids. The Pens won back to back with this philosophy. Of course the vets do most of the heavy lifting but giving kids a chance is so important for the organization.
I Disagree. Ian Cole was their Orpik type player on the back end for their back-to-back Cups. Having Djoos and Bowey in the 5/6 spot would be a mistake. Jerabek is ahead of Bowey right now, even though he's a UFA. Seigenthaler, Johansen and Hobbs, should all do another year at least in Hershey. They could be call-ups if needed and sent back down to Hershey.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I Disagree. Ian Cole was their Orpik type player on the back end for their back-to-back Cups. Having Djoos and Bowey in the 5/6 spot would be a mistake. Jerabek is ahead of Bowey right now, even though he's a UFA. Seigenthaler, Johansen and Hobbs, should all do another year at least in Hershey. They could be call-ups if needed and sent back down to Hershey.

Yeah but Cole was 26 and 27, not 38. If they bring Orpik back I guarantee by game 30 we will be praying for an injury so he can come out of the lineup cause this fairy tale he will only play 50 or so games is crazy.

Jerabek and Chaisson won't be back, so at least that clears two spots.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005

Djoos and Bowey need to play and can’t go to Hershey. They should sign a cheap #7 and add a defenseman at the deadline if they need to.

With Beagle leaving they should add one more veteran bottom 6 player, I guess they could bring back Chiasson who is meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad