Confirmed with Link: Capitals to VA is dead. DC decides to pay $515 million dollars to upgrade capital one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
alternatively...
Is this about the fact that the current arena for the last 25 years has been thoroughly and seamlessly incorporated into the city and the neighborhood, with tons of walkable things to do nearby, steps from Metro, less than 1/2 mile from The National Mall, with great support and has been suddenly yanked away (with no public oppty for comment) when apparently DC has made multiple offers to appease Ted

I think *that* is the issue
Ted could've negotiated a fine deal to stay and still be a big ol' Multi-Billionaire

note - I'm not really anti this deal and obv a new place will incorporate many good new ideas/new tech/blah blah and it's not a far move; for me it's not a Garth "we fear change" it's more of it felt organic and good and a "they did it right" having the arena in town and incorporated into the neighborhood
There’s a good argument, it just seems to fit, feels organic…totally agree. But it didn’t start out that way. It’s clear DC didn’t seriously negotiate until it was almost too late. That is on them.

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Couple thoughts:

The parking thing, obviously they will make accommodations for parking, but the desire would/should obviously be to funnel people to the public transportation anyway. It -should- be more convenient to take the Metro than to drive, not vice versa.

Second, if the team moved just 100 feet in any direction, some people would be unhappy about it. Its absolutely guaranteed that Ted fully understands where his season ticket holder base is located in great detail, and also where the casual ticket buyers tend to come from. Customer analytics is fundamental to decisions like this. Ted fully understand this move will anger some people, but likely will be healthier for the larger fan base over the long term. For both drivers and metro riders, if the move adds 30 minutes to your one way game commute, that will be a deal breaker for some, and just an inconvenience for others. But the rage and anger may be a little over the top about it. Ted knows he may lose some paying customers, but he's still doing this because the long term return will be worth it. For him, but likely for the larger portion of the fan base.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I bet all the food and bev places by Cap1 are bummed!

Also, here's a thought: At the rate Ovi is scoring, will he score 895 at the new arena?

hahahaha

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I bet all the food and bev places by Cap1 are bummed!

Also, here's a thought: At the rate Ovi is scoring, will he score 895 at the new arena?

hahahaha

They'll likely go out of business. They depend on the games for their existence. Its part of the cycle of commerce, no one is guaranteed a future. Some of them may be able to relocate to the new site, maybe.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
They'll likely go out of business. They depend on the games for their existence. Its part of the cycle of commerce, no one is guaranteed a future. Some of them may be able to relocate to the new site, maybe.

Speaking of.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Mayor Bowser has alot of cake on her face. They just opened that sports book, lots of jobs and business out with the Caps. Her "last best offer" was still less $100 mill then Ted was asking for .

But it doesnt really make sense $100 mill is a deal breaker to when you look at what contracts he gave Beal and Wall.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Statements like "we are working to build a lasting legacy over multiple generations and lift all of our neighbors towards a shared sense of prosperity" just strike me as so phony. From everything I hear, nobody who lives in that area actually wants this or thinks it will be good for them - which is why the whole thing is a surprise to most of them. He's moving because there's more $ for him and his family to make in VA than in DC, which helped build your teams into something that a neighboring state decided to throw taxpayer $. Own the greed and the leverage you get from all the public $ and in-kind contributions.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It's gonna gut the whole area, which had gotten so vibrant pre-covid.

It will definitely gut the area, but as I'm reading it, the area was already in steep decline post covid as it stands. Its possible there was simply writing on the wall for Ted that DC was going to continue to let it decline. The story that there used to be 28 police for games and now there are 3, indicates this possibility.

I feel pretty strongly that Ted would have worked it out to stay in DC if they were serious from the start about maintaining the area and investing in the future. Their publicly announced offers seems way too little/too late, IMO. Just trying to save face.

This article talks about some of the cause of the decline. Post covid, office workers are not returning to downtown. That's hurting business apart from the MSE teams. DC, like lots of major cities, is facing a reckoning in the post Covid world.

Last edited:

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Couple thoughts:

The parking thing, obviously they will make accommodations for parking, but the desire would/should obviously be to funnel people to the public transportation anyway. It -should- be more convenient to take the Metro than to drive, not vice versa.

Second, if the team moved just 100 feet in any direction, some people would be unhappy about it. Its absolutely guaranteed that Ted fully understands where his season ticket holder base is located in great detail, and also where the casual ticket buyers tend to come from. Customer analytics is fundamental to decisions like this. Ted fully understand this move will anger some people, but likely will be healthier for the larger fan base over the long term. For both drivers and metro riders, if the move adds 30 minutes to your one way game commute, that will be a deal breaker for some, and just an inconvenience for others. But the rage and anger may be a little over the top about it. Ted knows he may lose some paying customers, but he's still doing this because the long term return will be worth it. For him, but likely for the larger portion of the fan base.
Ted sees recently built arenas and entertainment complexes, and wants to cash in. He wants people to eat, live, and play in Leonsis-land. I can't blame him. He's not getting that type of deal in DC. Look at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. It's got a massive lower bowl, gondola luxury seating, and 4 VIP clubs, which would mean more money in his pocket. He's not getting that with the current situation. I think Capital One is a fine arena, but it certainly has its limitations. In the bill, it states that the lease would be extended until 2052 and that the Capitals and the Wizards would not be able to relocate outside the District until the end of the it. He doesn't want to be locked into a 55 year arena at that point, which would certainly be inadequate at that time. If he takes the DC deal, I'm sure there will be discussions again in 10-15 years about a new arena, but I'm not sure he gets this type of deal in DC in the future anyways.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
On Bowser I remember her dicking around the football team. She said they could not move back into DC unless they dropped the Redskins name. When we finally went to Washington Football Team she moved the goal posts and still would not cut a deal for RFK. Always left a bad taste she made us drop the Redskins name and lied and the new arena.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Couple thoughts:

So says the guy living in California! LOL

And PS — I echo your sentiments — but I am also a Californian, now.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
So says the guy living in California! LOL

And PS — I echo your sentiments — but I am also a Californian, now.

Oh I don't have a dog in this race, but I do want to see DC succeed as a vibrant city - I grew up there after all. But its also clear that Bowser and the DC city council have no clue at all how to build a business friendly climate, especially post Covid, while VA and MD are tripping over themselves to land more business including the sports teams that are all up for grabs. DC just doesn't get business growth driving success of the residents.

Ted sees recently built arenas and entertainment complexes, and wants to cash in. He wants people to eat, live, and play in Leonsis-land. I can't blame him. He's not getting that type of deal in DC. Look at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. It's got a massive lower bowl, gondola luxury seating, and 4 VIP clubs, which would mean more money in his pocket. He's not getting that with the current situation. I think Capital One is a fine arena, but it certainly has its limitations. In the bill, it states that the lease would be extended until 2052 and that the Capitals and the Wizards would not be able to relocate outside the District until the end of the it. He doesn't want to be locked into a 55 year arena at that point, which would certainly be inadequate at that time. I'm sure there will be discussions again in 10-15 years about a new arena, but I'm not sure he gets this type of deal in DC in the future anyways.

Its becoming very apparent that Ted saw DC declining and didn't want to commit to staying there for that long even if they did throw $500M at the area. The problems downtown are larger than just the Caps and Zards. Bowser has blown it, big time. Have to bet she'll blow it on the football team too.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
In the end, fandom comes in so many forms.

Obviously, the most intense is “blood, sweat, and tears” on an attended game by game basis. Or a partial package that produces same, on a smaller piece of the pie.

That’s the ultimate, and where the rubber is meeting the road for a few poeple.

Then there is the odd “see a game or 4 this season” crowd. They shouldn’t really be challenged by this, as each game is truly “an experience” for this group, and it’s a planned event regardless of where it really is.

Then there are the fans that aren’t local, like me. We aren’t impacted at all.

It’s all a risk for Ted, but as was mentioned above — the team knows it’s fanbase better than anyone else, so they are acting accordingly.

Reactions: Calicaps

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
On the flip side, maybe the football team somehow benefits from this in a move back to DC?

I would hope so too, but its probably wishful thinking at this point. JH isn't going to stick his $6M baby in a place that is in clear decline.

Even Abe's apparent philanthropic idea of moving the teams downtown in 1997 was more driven by cheap real estate costs.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I assume you are a big believer in basing decisions on social media likes?
It's a great way to gauge public interest in today's day and age. There's a reason so much money is pumped into it. I think it's pretty obvious that if over 100,000 people read a message and only 500 were like "heck yeah!" It's not being received very well.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think it's pretty obvious that if over 100,000 people read a message and only 500 were like "heck yeah!" It's not being received very well.
Based on what? How many people ‘should’ like something to show it is well received?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Man, how could Ted do this...

This reeks of a dysfunctional relationship between Ted and Bowser, the latter probably sleeping at the switch and failing to inform the council just how bad it had gotten. Otherwise I'm sure they would've pressured for some sort of offer well before this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad