Confirmed with Link: Capitals to VA is dead. DC decides to pay $515 million dollars to upgrade capital one

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
It's a great way to gauge public interest in today's day and age. There's a reason so much money is pumped into it. I think it's pretty obvious that if over 100,000 people read a message and only 500 were like "heck yeah!" It's not being received very well.
I just liked your post although I could care less about the content.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
This reeks of a dysfunctional relationship between Ted and Bowser, the latter probably sleeping at the switch and failing to inform the council just how bad it had gotten. Otherwise I'm sure they would've pressured for some sort of offer well before this.
Yeah, if the two teams are so important to the District's financial welfare, better to be paying a bit of attention to their owner's needs and spending less time defending sleazy deputy mayors and doing other marginal stuff.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
WMATA has a huge funding shortfall so at least Virginia will pony up for this stadium only for the metro to stop running service after 8pm

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
This move delivers! Brought out, in full force, the NIMBYs, the hurt feels, quitters, and just don’t cares.
This is best post of the entire thread. Not enough likes. I would have added "social media stat nerds". My extreme hate for the NIMBYs has me truly hoping for Del Ray tears to feast upon if everything goes through.

NO ONE pays attention to WMATA news ever really.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Not a caps fan but I live in the area and work just a couple blocks from the arena. Man it would be such a bummer if they relocated out of the city. I haven't lived here for too long but it my experience I felt the arena was in a great location with a lot going on and plenty to do just a short metro ride away. It certainly doesn't hurt that when the Sabres are in town I can head over to the arena after work and catch the game. I get the financial incentives for moving the team, I'm not gonna argue against any of them.

But man I just feel like moving across the river you would lose the vibes you feel with it being right in the heart of downtown. Not to mention all the business it drives to Chinatown and Penn Quarter, would be a huge cultural loss imo. I wish I lived here during the cup run, would have been an awesome experience.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
This is going to be great!

It’s reassuring the mayor has a very firm view of what’s not going to be possible - driving there or use the metro as currently configured. And no tax payer money will be used to whatever the solution will be - Ted Leonsis will figure it all out and pay for it. The mayor sure fleeced him. I guess it’s all in the agreement that presumably will be released shortly.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
I'm also quite sure MWAA wasn't consulted either. This essentially nukes a transportation option to DCA during pre/post game or event rushes.
That’s not a problem. Just like parking, the mayor of Alexandria wants to keep flying to a minimum, in keeping with his overall vision of nothing moving.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
If true, par for the course.

You have the DC government, WMATA, VA politics, and a greedy billionaire involved. All the ingredients for an incompetent silly shit show.

This should be a TV show....would actually pay to watch on Monumental no less. lol
Don't forget Evil NIMBYs.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
All this hate on Ted cracks me up. He is an entrepreneur. And this is America where we are a capitalist society and not communism. People are acting like Ted owes them something and should give his money away (which he does a lot). But he certainly doesn’t owe the fans anything. In fact I would argue that he IS trying to give the fans something special.

Lastly, I doubt there are few, if any, here who understand how to manage a billion dollar net worth. There are different tax parameters, ways to grow wealth not available to the masses, and significant political advantages. If you had that kind of money you would do the same things. You say you wouldn’t, but you would.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
All this hate on Ted cracks me up. He is an entrepreneur. And this is America where we are a capitalist society and not communism. People are acting like Ted owes them something and should give his money away (which he does a lot). But he certainly doesn’t owe the fans anything. In fact I would argue that he IS trying to give the fans something special.

Lastly, I doubt there are few, if any, here who understand how to manage a billion dollar net worth. There are different tax parameters, ways to grow wealth not available to the masses, and significant political advantages. If you had that kind of money you would do the same things. You say you wouldn’t, but you would.
I have to admit, as an outsider reading about his current arena deal has me thinking that I can't really fault him for moving much either. Like... he's been talking about a raw deal for a while now and sounds like he wasn't getting any concessions, just milked for as long as the deal lasts, had enough and didn't want to play ball with the same people as before on principle.

They can be upset about that, and from a fan standpoint I totally get losing the convenience of metro stops directly under the arena (because that's neat and not every building has stuff like that) but a big complex with some side real estate is basically an owner's dream, and it's coming up more and more (like the Howard Terminal proposition in Oakland and the Braves' new spot with housing and entertainment spots on the property)

The only thing that I think is going to shoot him in the foot right now (I initially typed "face" for some reason) is that it sounds like the traffic concerns are very real. Now... there's a lot of development left to turn concept art into reality but all the underground parking in the world isn't going to make it easy to get to a riverside location from more than about two directions, and it seems like one of those (the DC side) gets really congested like all the time anyway.

Lane extensions and bridge projects are extremely expensive and not really covered in what we've seen so far, so like... are they just applying a pressure point and then hoping a government fixes the problem, or is there a second wave where Monumental hopes to lean on Amazon to suggest improvements to traffic and quality of life, or what? Because the traffic part does seem like it hasn't really been considered much.

Reactions: DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I have to admit, as an outsider reading about his current arena deal has me thinking that I can't really fault him for moving much either. Like... he's been talking about a raw deal for a while now and sounds like he wasn't getting any concessions, just milked for as long as the deal lasts, had enough and didn't want to play ball with the same people as before on principle.

They can be upset about that, and from a fan standpoint I totally get losing the convenience of metro stops directly under the arena (because that's neat and not every building has stuff like that) but a big complex with some side real estate is basically an owner's dream, and it's coming up more and more (like the Howard Terminal proposition in Oakland and the Braves' new spot with housing and entertainment spots on the property)

The only thing that I think is going to shoot him in the foot right now (I initially typed "face" for some reason) is that it sounds like the traffic concerns are very real. Now... there's a lot of development left to turn concept art into reality but all the underground parking in the world isn't going to make it easy to get to a riverside location from more than about two directions, and it seems like one of those (the DC side) gets really congested like all the time anyway.

Lane extensions and bridge projects are extremely expensive and not really covered in what we've seen so far, so like... are they just applying a pressure point and then hoping a government fixes the problem, or is there a second wave where Monumental hopes to lean on Amazon to suggest improvements to traffic and quality of life, or what? Because the traffic part does seem like it hasn't really been considered much.
Traffic is the biggest concern I have too. Clearly that has been a big topic so I assume they will get busy on that part. Construction doesn’t start until 2025 so there will be a lot of planning in 2024. Gotta get parking right.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Shirley, you can't be serious. 1B put in a simple savings account at 5% interest = ~50mil annually to live on a small Caribbean isle where I can use my influence to topple the long-standing colonial government (mostly likely french or dutch...wimps). After my dictatorship utopian system is implemented, I can finally watch Caps games in quiet at my own Belgian beer bar with the Swedish ski team. When I die, I'll leave the estate to 100 randomly chosen heirs where they have to compete in a winner-takes-all caged death match. Of course, I'll charge Monumental 500M for the broadcasting rights and these proceeds will be given to the HFboard Caps posters with the least amount of BS statistics posted in the past 10 years.

Deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad