Confirmed with Link: Capitals to VA is dead. DC decides to pay $515 million dollars to upgrade capital one

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Moving ahead a few years: If Ted does not take Monumental public but sells it to the Qataris, then there'll be a big slice of property owned by a sketchy foreign investment fund just minutes from the Capitol and the Pentagon?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The idea of going to Potomac friggin Yards versus Chinatown DC is just... Bleh. I can get off at chinatown metro and walk around, find a bar or two, a place to eat at and head to the arena. It just isn't going to be the same.
Yeah that’s why they built the arena there, all that stuff was already there… ;). That place was a complete shithole when the arena opened. If you walked from metro center to the arena and strayed from the heard in any way you were taking your life into your own hands.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I am absolutely baffled by the amount of people treating Ted like he's Art Modell.
because the only reason is money and so his family can be a big real estate developers

this has nothing to do w best interest of the fan base, its 100% about his generational wealth

I live in Howard County .. f*** you Theodore John Leonsis

Reactions: blindsideheadshot

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
because the only reason is money and so his family can be a big real estate developers

this has nothing to do w best interest of the fan base, its 100% about his generational wealth

Moves like these are never about the best interest of the existing fan base….it’s about the future.

This is largely on the DC government IMO. They didn‘t have to wait so long to get serious and pony up.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
So many haters, so little time….F em all Ted….do your business. They‘ll get over it, and if they don’t, they’ll be replaced by other fans. The vitriol is unsurprising. Personal conveniences are being impacted, but Ted deserves better from fans IMO.
F all the 'I support Ted and he owns the team and can do what he wants as a business man"

Reactions: blindsideheadshot

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Moves like these are never about the best interest of the existing fan base….it’s about the future.

This is largely on the DC government IMO. They didn‘t have to wait so long to get serious and pony up.
Ted spokesperson last night sd Dc did everything they could .. blah blah blah .

But yeah its DC govt fault and not the greedy billionaire

adios amigos

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

The team spent decades in Landover, did the VA fans not matter then? I'll say it again. I spent my entire adult life with basically every sports team in my area playing in Maryland. It didn't stop my fandom, or stop me from going to games. If moving 5 miles south kills your fandom, I honestly couldn't careless.

And literally everything is about money. Should he just continue to spend 40 million dollars a year in DC fun funzies?

The reaction is ridiculous.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
its literally not
4XQw5SC.png

The fanbase killer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The team spent decades in Landover, did the VA fans not matter then? I'll say it again. I spent my entire adult life with basically every sports team in my area playing in Maryland. It didn't stop my fandom, or stop me from going to games. If moving 5 miles south kills your fandom, I honestly couldn't careless.

And literally everything is about money. Should he just continue to spend 40 million dollars a year in DC fun funzies?

The reaction is ridiculous.
I’m amazed at this…..like Cap Center/US Air arena wasn’t a nightmare to get to for Virginians for decades…..don’t even get me started on FedEx.

I‘m in Loudoun, so it’s not like Alexandria is suddenly a peach of a commute….it sucks just like going to MD or DC does….but it’s 5 miles difference. They’ll work out the parking logistics….

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ted spokesperson last night sd Dc did everything they could .. blah blah blah .

But yeah its DC govt fault and not the greedy billionaire

adios amigos
Is this about that he’s a “greedy billionaire” in your view, or the team is moving ~5 miles? How many games a year is this impacting you?

If I was still a season ticket holder, going to 20-30 games a year, and this was adding another 30 mins or more each way, I would be annoyed for sure, but I can also see the legit business reasons to make this move. Ted didn’t build Cap One and he’s been screwed on the lease forever. People with that kind of $ want to leave something tangible behind….

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
alternatively...
Is this about the fact that the current arena for the last 25 years has been thoroughly and seamlessly incorporated into the city and the neighborhood, with tons of walkable things to do nearby, steps from Metro, less than 1/2 mile from The National Mall, with great support and has been suddenly yanked away (with no public oppty for comment) when apparently DC has made multiple offers to appease Ted

I think *that* is the issue
Ted could've negotiated a fine deal to stay and still be a big ol' Multi-Billionaire

note - I'm not really anti this deal and obv a new place will incorporate many good new ideas/new tech/blah blah and it's not a far move; for me it's not a Garth "we fear change" it's more of it felt organic and good and a "they did it right" having the arena in town and incorporated into the neighborhood

Reactions: Holtbyisms

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I love the idea that the people who plan multi billion $$ developments likely forgot about parking since it isn’t obvious in the 30,000 foot view.

Seriously? Oh f***, we completely forgot about parking. Ted’s not going to be happy…
Absolutely. Sports teams in this area have never built stadiums with terrible parking situations.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Absolutely. Sports teams in this area have never built stadiums with terrible parking situations.
Sounds like an opportunity for someone with knowledge of the area to get in early on solving a problem and make some serious money doing it.

I personally don’t remember much SAFE parking around the current arena when it was built. Did it evolve over time? Absolutely but it certainly wasn’t there when the arena opened.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00