Capitals to purchase CapFriendly website (UPD: Capitals hiring all capfriendly owners, beat out other teams that wanted to buy capfriendly)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Can't I just wait until Hell freezes over :laugh::laugh:
hqdefault.jpg

...Unlike CapFriendly

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
So the Caps needed someone to build a website for them?

I'm not doubting the effort involved to built Cap Friendly. It's just not clear to me why the Caps needed to hire their staff.
I've been reading this thread and this point keeps popping up, but the suggestion seems to be that the Caps should be ridiculed for not having a team that does exactly this kind of job.

Why is it more ridiculous that they hire a group of people that they know can handle this sort of work than it is to hire a group of people that may be able to handle it? Especially when the people they hire are being lauded for just how effective they are?

Also, why would the Caps buy the company and spend extra money training up people to go over a database that they're unfamiliar with instead of just keeping the old guys on for the smoothest transition possible?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Shocking, an entity suppressing information when having power/money to do so.

Shameful move by Caps
It still doesn't make sense to me. The Cap Friendly owners had lots of friendly contacts around the business. Now that they are hired as mercenaries, these relationships wont work the same way. So what is the Capitals buying really ?

If they wanted the Cap Friendly owners expertise, why cant they just keep the site up and do work for the team?

The next group of nerds will have a replacement site ready in under 6 months

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Sure, I like the website very much. But are you guys saying that a comparable replacement will not be developed in the coming months? I bet it will be. CapGeek wasn't irreplaceable. Others stepped in.

I think what happened is that they hired the key person or persons behind the website and acquired the website as well, because the person(s) would only be working for them. This still leads me to wonder what are those special skills offered by those persons that the Caps were coveting. It's not like Capfriendly provided completely unique information no one else could offer. There weren't any trade secrets on there.

I agree. But some people are treating this like there is some proprietary info or trade secrets involved. When we know there isn't. It doesn't make sense. Seems like these old hockey boomers don't know whats going on.

They mention the data base. Why does a team need to buy the data base when they can log on and view it for free ?

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
They mention the data base. Why does a team need to buy the data base when they can log on and view it for free ?
The NHL doesn't want the information out there. I can guarantee that the league have pushed for this purchase and the Capitals just happened to end up with the buy.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The NHL doesn't want the information out there. I can guarantee that the league have pushed for this purchase and the Capitals just happened to end up with the buy.
Kinda pointless , you delete one 3 more grows. If the NHL doesn't understand that someone is already copying capfriendly well they are truly clueless.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
It just shows how out of touch the league and the owners are. It's like how the music industry tried to suppress Napster until they had to accept that they should offer streaming as they weren't stopping piracy.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It still doesn't make sense to me. The Cap Friendly owners had lots of friendly contacts around the business. Now that they are hired as mercenaries, these relationships wont work the same way. So what is the Capitals buying really ?

If they wanted the Cap Friendly owners expertise, why cant they just keep the site up and do work for the team?

unless the NHL succeeds in not allowing the public access to contracts. I get the feeling we're in for a lockout once the CBA expires

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If that were true, PuckPedia be would getting bought too.

And there's nothing the league can do to stop agents from giving information to these sites. The only way that happens is if making contract information private makes it into a CBA and the owners would have to give up something massive for that to happen.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Kinda pointless , you delete one 3 more grows. If the NHL doesn't understand that someone is already copying capfriendly well they are truly clueless.
If anything , what they are doing is making the situation worse. Buying out these sites creates the incentive for the next group to start a site.

It would make more sense if they bought CF and controlled it.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If that were true, PuckPedia be would getting bought too.

And there's nothing the league can do to stop agents from giving information to these sites. The only way that happens is if making contract information private makes it into a CBA and the owners would have to give up something massive for that to happen.
CF is so much nicer to look at than PP

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Kinda wondered this myself.

When you go to each player profile, it says "stats powered by Elite Prospects". Is EP still going to give uninterrupted service on those stats? No doubt CF and EP had a little "systems integration party" at one point and likely CF merely pulls from the EP page. If I'm EP, I tell the caps "that'll be $1mil a year for the contract" or whatever a "bend over the barrel" amount would be for that.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
they're gonna be shocked when this deal goes through and they find out how much money and term is left on the PLD contract

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00