Rumor: Canucks Targeting Jake Guentzel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Feel like Jake is this year's "You're gonna regret it" signing.

I feel like Jake is more like this year's Pavelski contract where everyone is sticker shocked and then he is considered one of the best players in the league for the next 5 years.

Nothing in Jake's game should be erased with age.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
What if they trade Lindholm's rights for Guentzel's? That would a be a first?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Signing Guentzel to partner with EP40 would be the dream we'd have 2 number 1 lines. Hopefully the number can be lower then 9 per but I wouldn't freak if got to 9.5.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
What if they trade Lindholm's rights for Guentzel's? That would a be a first?

Lol didnt Lindholm burn his bridge with Carolina?

I remember there was off-ice stuff between Lindholm and Carolina management that sorta forced the trade out of there i believe.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This would be a good signing for the Canucks. There are/were rumors about him signing in Chicago but he’s too old IMO and doesn’t match the rebuild timeline. On a team trying to compete the next 3-5 years I think he’d be an awesome addition.

The Penguins don’t want him back or what??

I think Guentzel not coming back is more of a consequence of this team needing to make changes and get younger than anything else.

Before Guentzel was traded, the Penguins had basically been trying the same thing over and over again for the last 6 years with no results changing. They just kept running with the same coach, same system and same core with only nibbling at the edges, and just refused to make any sort of notable changes to the team. They finally got to the point this year of "okay, we can't just keep doing this".

What they should have done to get younger and make changes was not re-sign Malkin and sign Trocheck instead (who's from Pittsburgh and wanted to sign with the Penguins), while re-signing Guentzel and keeping him long-term. But you can't go back and do that with Malkin and Trocheck, so you need to make changes somewhere.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Guentzel and Tanev will be Canucks on July 1st or 5 mins into the UFA signing window.
200w.gif

Jake never wanted to leave the Pens. Hes just as likely to sign with the Pens to play with Sid that go elsewhere. In fact I would be mildly shocked if he hasnt had some sort of conversation with Sid. Well see what happens, regardless he will go to where he wants, hes got his cups.

Reactions: Raistlin

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Signing Guentzel to partner with EP40 would be the dream we'd have 2 number 1 lines. Hopefully the number can be lower then 9 per but I wouldn't freak if got to 9.5.

That would be an awesome off-season. We would have to downgrade from Hronek and Zadorov but i think id be fine with it. It would probably also allow us to get another top 6 winger

Debrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Guentzel
Joshua-Suter-Garland
Mikhayev-Aman- Podkolzin

Hughes-Roy
Soucy-Myers
Dillon-Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

The dream would be to get rid of Mikhayev as well, that would let us upgrade to a Tanev from Roy or even keep Zadorov.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think Guentzel not coming back is more of a consequence of this team needing to make changes and get younger than anything else.

Before Guentzel was traded, the Penguins had basically been trying the same thing over and over again for the last 6 years with no results changing. They just kept running with the same coach, same system and same core with only nibbling at the edges, and just refused to make any sort of notable changes to the team. They finally got to the point this year of "okay, we can't just keep doing this".

What they should have done to get younger and make changes was not re-sign Malkin and sign Trocheck instead, while re-signing Guentzel and keeping him long-term. But you can't go back and do that with Malkin and Trocheck, so you need to make changes somewhere.
Dubas actually never formally offered him an extension, they had talks and then Dubas traded him. Jake said he was surprised when it happened.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He’s performed in a regular season and he’s performed in the playoffs.

He’s everything you want

That’s great and all but that’s going to be a +30y contract

Good luck getting the value out of it

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dubas actually never formally offered him an extension, they had talks and then Dubas traded him. Jake said he was surprised when it happened.

Yeah, but I think that goes more to my point that Dubas wanted to make changes to the team to get younger. He can't trade Malkin or Letang, so that just leaves Guentzel.

Like I said, in hindsight they should have prioritized Guentzel over both Malkin and Letang. He's simply a better player than them at this point. But you can't go back in time to change that, so they need to play with the cards they've been dealt.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
IDK about that. I feel like if the contract is fair this could be a Hossa type signing (not comparing playstyles, just impact to a teams potential success). Guentzel is a gamer

Hossa's cap hit was dirt cheap due to the insane term contracts teams used to be able to hand out.

Rumor has been $9M ballpark for Jake.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
That would be an awesome off-season. We would have to downgrade from Hronek and Zadorov but i think id be fine with it. It would probably also allow us to get another top 6 winger

Debrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Guentzel
Joshua-Suter-Garland
Mikhayev-Aman- Podkolzin

Hughes-Roy
Soucy-Myers
Dillon-Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

The dream would be to get rid of Mikhayev as well, that would let us upgrade to a Tanev from Roy or even keep Zadorov.
Salary cap???

Debrusk = 5M
Guentzel 9M
Joshua = 3.5M
Roy = 6M
Myers =5M
Dillon = 5M

Do they have another 33M avalable this summer?

Reactions: Darren McCord

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah, but I think that goes more to my point that Dubas wanted to make changes to the team to get younger. He can't trade Malkin or Letang, so that just leaves Guentzel.

Like I said, in hindsight they should have prioritized Guentzel over both Malkin and Letang. He's simply a better player than them at this point. But you can't go back in time to change that, so they need to play with the cards they've been dealt.
Which he did, he got the prospects and pick for a rental. Bunting was exactly what the top 6 needed as well. My thought process on all this is, Dubas got some prospects, still has a mandate to win and will appease Sid. Sid didnt want Jake gone and Jake didnt want to leave. Sign Jake to 9.5 x 7 and then trade him when Sid calls it quits. I think if Jakes wants back it will happen.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Salary cap???

Debrusk = 5M
Guentzel 9M
Joshua = 3.5M
Roy = 6M
Myers =5M
Dillon = 5M

Do they have another 33M avalable this summer?

Myers isnt getting anything more than 3mil from Canucks.

Dillon at 5mil? He is 33 yrs old, why is he getting an almost 2mil raise?

Matt Roy at 6mil? why does he deserve a 3mil raise? Might as well spend that on Tanev or Zadorov then.

Canucks will have about 25mil in cap space. Theyll have enough for all those guys, they just have to trade Hronek and maybe even Mikhayev as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Myers isnt getting anything more than 3mil from Canucks.

Dillon at 5mil? He is 33 yrs old, why is he getting an almost 2mil raise?

Matt Roy at 6mil? why does he deserve a 3mil raise? Might as well spend that on Tanev or Zadorov then.

Canucks will have about 25mil in cap space. Theyll have enough for all those guys, they just have to trade Hronek and maybe even Mikhayev as well.

Jalen Chatfield, who's a 26 year old #5/6 defenseman, just signed for a $3 million AAV.

I think you're extremely low on your estimates for what these guys are going to be getting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad