Rumor: Canucks Targeting Jake Guentzel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Frank Corrado also talks about it. Lindholm is obviously not resigning in Vancouver so time to get Pettersson a winger.

What does that even mean? How hard can this be?

If he's the guy you want pay a 3rd round pick for his rights and put 68 million over 8 years in front of him and get it done.

Should they do that? that's another conversation, but if they want his rights they are not hard to acquire.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

If he's the guy you want pay a 3rd round pick for his rights and put 68 million over 8 years in front of him and get it done.

Should they do that? that's another conversation, but if they want his rights they are not hard to acquire.

You'd think that but the Hurricanes are really REALLY annoying to deal with.

Reactions: JKG33 and Szechwan

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
They should have targeted him at the TDL. Not that Lindholm wasn't a good target but I think Jake gave them more of what they needed.

Ideally, we would have but I don't see any scenario Pittsburgh doesn't demand Lekkerimaki or Willander which are two prospects we simply cannot afford to trade. Even Hoglander is a hard sell not because I don't think it's fair value but we need cheap deals to offset the OEL buyout.

Now if Pittsburgh would have accepted mostly what we gave up for Lindholm, then yes, I agree. Much as I like what Lindholm brought, Guentzel was really what we were missing in the playoffs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ideally, we would have but I don't see any scenario Pittsburgh doesn't demand Lekkerimaki or Willander which are two prospects we simply cannot afford to trade. Even Hoglander is a hard sell not because I don't think it's fair value but we need cheap deals to offset the OEL buyout.

Now if Pittsburgh would have accepted mostly what we gave up for Lindholm, then yes, I agree. Much as I like what Lindholm brought, Guentzel was really what we were missing in the playoffs.
As discussed ad nausum during the TDL, you guys were missing that mid-level forward prospect (like Koivunen). Could have been Kuzmenko, Brzustewicz, Raty, 1st/2nd. Which is similar to what we got but such is life.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think he's a great player. But i hate that it's gonna be like a "superstar contract" for basically a Zack Hyman. The Oilers got so lucky with that shit.

Reactions: wetcoast

Canuck Enforcer

Mar 7, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I know nothing about Canucks cap issues, but who's playing D?

Right now they have 3 D signed for next season:

Hughes, Quinn "C"LDNHLDraft248.9$7,850,000$7,850,000$7,850,000UFA
Soucy, CarsonNTCLD/RDNHLSigned293.7$3,250,000$3,250,000UFA
Juulsen, NoahRDNHLTrade270.9$775,000UFA

With Juulsen being more of a 6-7.

They have the cap space to shore up the D and depending on if they can move Mikheyev, they'll have enough cap space to fill the remaining spots with quality. Even if they don't move Mikheyev, they should be fine. They'll just have to be a bit frugal again with some depth signings upfront.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
No they don't. Kyle Connor is not in the same realm.
As Jake Guentzel?

They hilariously sit right next to each other in scoring since they entered the league. One never had a pair of HOF centers on his team.

1718321181871.png

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Feel like Jake is this year's "You're gonna regret it" signing.
Not likely, unless he suffers an injury that doesn't keep him from playing but tremendously affects his play.
Which could happen to just about any UFA signing.
I think this is probably realistic but that number may not come from a contending team.
The reports are mixed as to whether or not Guentzel wants to go to a contending team; he might take more money from a team like Chicago.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Unless it's a sign and trade (which seldom. Actually happen) Carolina is the only team that can offer him 8 years

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
As Jake Guentzel?

They hilariously sit right next to each other in scoring since they entered the league. One never had a pair of HOF centers on his team.

View attachment 882339

Yeah, as Jake Guentzel.

Kyle Connor is a perimeter goalscorer who has as many goals in his playoff career as Guentzel had in his first playoff run.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Not likely, unless he suffers an injury that doesn't keep him from playing but tremendously affects his play.
Which could happen to just about any UFA signing.

The reports are mixed as to whether or not Guentzel wants to go to a contending team; he might take more money from a team like Chicago.

I guess that is why I do see Vancouver making sense for Guentzel. Vancouver has the cap space to $ pay $ him ~and~ they are within striking distance of contending.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Lots of guys are good playoff performers....until they aren't. You certainly can't count on it. You also have to be a believer in "clutch" being a real thing.
"Clutch" is absolutely a real thing and it takes a seriously poor understanding of even rudimentary psychology to not understand that different people perform differently under pressure.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
"Clutch" is absolutely a real thing and it takes a seriously poor understanding of even rudimentary psychology to not understand that different people perform differently under pressure.
Bull. Clutch happens but there is zero evidence that it consistently happens. Someone can come through under pressure once and utterly fail the next.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Bull. Clutch happens but there is zero evidence that it consistently happens. Someone can come through under pressure once and utterly fail the next.
You genuinely misunderstand human nature to this degree?

The expression of clutch that you look at like boxcar numbers has enough variables that just because someone performs well under pressure doesn't mean they will score next game.

But seriously. I can't even fathom this level of thinking that life is a video game.

Ever played sports? Ever noticed that some people (or even yourself) perform better when the stakes are higher and some crumble under self doubt?

People aren't video game sprites who have 99 speed and 95 shot power regardless of the game.

Human psychology is exceedingly complex and spreadsheets don't do us justice.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
You genuinely misunderstand human nature to this degree?

The expression of clutch that you look at like boxcar numbers has enough variables that just because someone performs well under pressure doesn't mean they will score next game.

But seriously. I can't even fathom this level of thinking that life is a video game.

Ever played sports? Ever noticed that some people (or even yourself) perform better when the stakes are higher and some crumble under self doubt?

People aren't video game sprites who have 99 speed and 95 shot power regardless of the game.

Human psychology is exceedingly complex and spreadsheets don't do us justice.
Oh get off your high horse. There is zero evidence that someone comes through every time or even the next time. I think you are confusing abnormally good performance to normal. Or you have a much too broad definition of what clutch really is. Which is generally the problem. Statistically, clutch is a myth.

Reactions: wetcoast

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
A clutch player is a myth. But a player that is not intimidated by the moment is valid. When you talk about sports performance, there is such a big mental aspect to it.

It doesn't mean a specific guy is always going to score in an OT or game 7, but a guy that can carry his regular season play to a pressure filled situation can be considered a clutch player.

What your specific definition of "clutch" is, I don't know. But in the playoffs, Guentzel is:

• 2nd among active players in goals per game
  • 1st among active players in all-situ goals per 60
  • 1st among active players in EVS Goals per 60
  • 3rd among active players in GWG per game (Verhaeghe at 10! in 65 games, Kadri at 7 in 52 games, Guentzel at 8 in 69) Guentzel scores a GWG in 11.6% of his games.
Pretty good. Safe to say he's a playoff performer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As Jake Guentzel?

View attachment 882339

I do get what you are saying—but I think Guentzel is in a whole different echelon given his playoff productivity and success.
Also Kyle Connor is such a black hole as far as defesnvie involvment.

He was great for me in fantasy hockey but in the real NHL and playoffs I'll pass.

Feb 19, 2018
200w.gif

Jake never wanted to leave the Pens. Hes just as likely to sign with the Pens to play with Sid that go elsewhere. In fact I would be mildly shocked if he hasnt had some sort of conversation with Sid. Well see what happens, regardless he will go to where he wants, hes got his cups.
That ship has sailed my man. Jake and Chris both number 1 destinations at the deadline was in Vancouver. Canucks have like the 4th most Cap space this offseason and haven’t resigned anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad