Rumor: Canucks Targeting Jake Guentzel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
That would be an awesome off-season. We would have to downgrade from Hronek and Zadorov but i think id be fine with it. It would probably also allow us to get another top 6 winger

Debrusk-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Guentzel
Joshua-Suter-Garland
Mikhayev-Aman- Podkolzin

Hughes-Roy
Soucy-Myers
Dillon-Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

The dream would be to get rid of Mikhayev as well, that would let us upgrade to a Tanev from Roy or even keep Zadorov.
They will not be able to sign all of DeBrusk, Guentzel, Dillon and Roy. Additionally, in the world where they somehow did, they would certainly need to trade Mikheyev and not re-sign Joshua.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Which is nowhere close to the top 5. There's clearly two full tiers of players between him and the top 5 guys.

He's basically an equivalent player to Forsberg, who's probably around the 10th best winger.

Saying there is "clearly two full tiers of players" between him and the top-5 is just dumb. He's clearly on the 2nd tier of elite wingers, where that 1st tier has like 5-7 wingers and that next tier has 10-15 wingers.

In no order, I'd probably put it:

Tier 1: Kucherov, Panarin, Rantanen, Pastrnak, Matt Tkachuk, Kaprizov and Marner
Tier 2: Nylander, Forsberg, Reinhart, Guentzel, Robertson, Keller, Bratt, Brady Tkachuk, Connor and Ovechkin

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I’d have no qualms about the Canucks offering him a 7 year, $60M~ contract or doing a sign and trade deal with Carolina and giving him 8 years to try to bring the cap hit closer to $8M.

I think his game will age well and ultimately it’s the next 3/4 years I’m most concerned with anyway.

Reactions: wetcoast

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Jalen Chatfield, who's a 26 year old #5/6 defenseman, just signed for a $3 million AAV.

I think you're extremely low on your estimates for what these guys are going to be getting.
Myers is reportedly taking a discount in the $3m range. He is not getting $5m AAV, lives in Kelowna during the offseason and loves it here in Vancouver.

Brenden Dillon got 3.9m AAV in his last contract, why would he be getting a raise when he's 33? He's also from the area and has already noted from (last time he needed a new contract) and the last few months that he'd love to play for Vancouver. I doubt he gets over $4.5 if he does sign with us considering his age and is from the area.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Myers is reportedly taking a discount in the $3m range. He is not getting $5m AAv lol

Okay. What about the other 2 players that were projected to be much lower?

Dillon and Roy aren't signing for $3 million a year.

I’d have no qualms about the Canucks offering him a 7 year, $60M~ contract or doing a sign and trade deal with Carolina and giving him 8 years to try to bring the cap hit closer to $8M.

I think his game will age well and ultimately it’s the next 3/4 years I’m most concerned with anyway.

I think you're underestimating what Guentzel is going to cost. If he was willing to sign basically an 8x8 deal, the Penguins would have just re-signed him.

He's probably looking at $65 million over a 7 year deal that would go to around $70 million on an 8 year deal.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
vancouver is going to have blow away JG, he wants to test the market. that means big money.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Okay. What about the other 2 players that were projected to be much lower?

Dillon and Roy aren't signing for $3 million a year.

I think you're underestimating what Guentzel is going to cost. If he was willing to sign basically an 8x8 deal, the Penguins would have just re-signed him.
I was going off the basis of another poster saying he could go for $9M AAV($60M~ over 7 years is right in that range). If he’s getting $9.5-10M AAV, then no thanks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was going off the basis of another poster saying he could go for $9M AAV($60M~ over 7 years is right in that range). If he’s getting $9.5-10M AAV, then no thanks.

Skinner signed for 8 years at $9 million a year back in 2019. I don't know why anyone would expect Guentzel to get less than that.

I think 7 years and $66.5 million for an AAV of $9.5 million is what he'll end up getting. He may even end up higher due to the big spike in the cap this year.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
vancouver is going to have blow away JG, he wants to test the market. that means big money.

-Canucks have 6th most cap space ( 27million or so), big money wont be a problem primarily because Hughes, Demko, Miller are massively underpaid.

- City of Vancouver will obviously be a plus sell...

- Connections and familiarity with Rutherford/Allvin/Tochett

- Getting to play with a 25 Yr old 100 point centreman who is just entering his prime

- Depending if he embraces a true hockey live, eat and breath hockey market like a Canadian city, Vancouver would be a massive plus for that.

Canucks will have a lot to dangle... we shall see if its enough on July 1

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Skinner signed for 8 years at $9 million a year back in 2019. I don't know why anyone would expect Guentzel to get less than that.
Skinner was also 27 when he signed that contract. I know Guentzel is better, but age plays a huge factor in what teams are willing to spend.

I think 7 years and $66.5 million for an AAV of $9.5 million is what he'll end up getting. He may even end up higher due to the big spike in the cap this year.
I think this is probably realistic but that number may not come from a contending team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Skinner was also 27 when he signed that contract. I know Guentzel is better, but age plays a huge factor in what teams are willing to spend.

I think this is probably realistic but that number may not come from a contending team.

Well yeah, Guentzel has his cup already and has been super underpaid over his career. The dude is clearly chasing money at this point, and I don't blame him.

He's been making $6 million a year for the last 6 years. He has been underpaid by probably a good $2-$3 million every year over that window. I'd feel confident in saying he has lost a good $15 million over those 6 years due to how good of a deal the Penguins got him to sign.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Well yeah, Guentzel has his cup already and has been super underpaid over his career. The dude is clearly chasing money at this point, and I don't blame him.

He's been making $6 million a year for the last 6 years. He has been underpaid by probably a good $2-$3 million every year over that window. I'd feel confident in saying he has lost a good $15 million over those 6 years due to how good of a deal the Penguins got him to sign.
I can see Chicago being an interesting destination for him for sure. Get paid, big hockey market, play with a generational talent, close to home and if Chicago develops the team well, could be contenders again halfway through his next contract.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
People seem to forget another american LW, that plays in Winnipeg when making best wingers in the NHL lists.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's basically an equivalent player to Forsberg, who's probably around the 10th best winger.

Saying there is "clearly two full tiers of players" between him and the top-5 is just dumb. He's clearly on the 2nd tier of elite wingers, where that 1st tier has like 5-7 wingers and that next tier has 10-15 wingers.

In no order, I'd probably put it:

Tier 1: Kucherov, Panarin, Rantanen, Pastrnak, Matt Tkachuk, Kaprizov and Marner
Tier 2: Nylander, Forsberg, Reinhart, Guentzel, Robertson, Keller, Bratt, Brady Tkachuk, Connor and Ovechkin

I guess it comes down to how we view tiers... There's absolutely no way I'd have Kucherov or Pasta on the same "tier" as Karpizov or Marner for example. To me its:.

Tier 1: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Tkachuk
Tier 2: Rantnen, Panarin, Kaprizov
Tier 3: Marner, Robertson, Nylander, Forsberg, Connor

Guentzel is in the 4th Tier with Tkachuk, Reinhart, Bratt, and a few others.

But he's very clearly tiers down from the top 5 guys. Even if you think it's just 1 Tier, it's a pretty big jump in quality from the top 5 guys who are all arguably franchise cornerstone types(If a Winger is capable of such a thing) compared to the Gunetzels, B Tkachuks, and Reinharts.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I likely wont like the last 3 years of the contract, but he is a gamer and be worth every penny before father time catches up to every athlete. Seeing how disappointed Sid was after losing him is very telling.

He is not a top 5 winger to be fair, but EP has good potential to do what Aho did for his game also and elevate him to top 10.

The focus for this club is to supplement this group of players with their contention window opening. My ideal situation is Stamkos for short term, but thats very unlikely, JG for long term is achieveable and there is a possibility for him to give a bit of discount with the management loyalty to him. There is risk to every large signing, but if this management team is going to endorse a FA this year, this guy is it. I'm all for it.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
IDK about that. I feel like if the contract is fair this could be a Hossa type signing (not comparing playstyles, just impact to a teams potential success). Guentzel is a gamer

Hossa was elite offensively and defensively. He had a lot more room to decline gracefully. Big money for guys that aren‘t elite and pushing 30 rarely works out.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Definitely would take Jake over Rantnen, Panarin, Marner, Robertson and Keller.
How on earth can you justify picking Jake over Rantanen? The rest are also debatable to say the least but Rantanen is a top 10 forward in the league.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
How on earth can you justify picking Jake over Rantanen? The rest are also debatable to say the least but Rantanen is a top 10 forward in the league.
I like Jake's game better defensively, 5v5, and playoffs over all those other wingers, and how he projects into his 30s

Rant, Panarin, marner get lots of points sure, but in vancouver with tocchet, I take Guentzel over all of them and it's not really too difficult a decision.

I don't have Rantanen in top 10 nhl fwds, probably not even wingers, idk if majority of avs fans still do either tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad