Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Daniel Sprong to 1-Year Deal ($975K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
My guess right now -

Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Sprong - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Hoglander
PDG

That’s a pretty slick four line setup.
I am pretty excited to see this line if we do get to see it. Hoggy and Sherwood can run wild because Suter is so reliable defensively.

Reactions: Indiana

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
good signing

last playoffs canucks lack depth, start of this year, on paper canucks are deep in forwards and throughout the year and tdl, allvin probably will upgrade some more as needed

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
My guess right now -

Heinen - Miller - Boeser
Sprong - Pettersson - DeBrusk
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Hoglander
PDG

That’s a pretty slick four line setup.

Being pedantic, you have Sprong and DeBrusk on the wrong sides, and I think Suter has the 3C spot locked, he’s better than Blueger and should be an upgrade for Joshua/Garland. Sprong does lock Suter into a C spot, imo.

One reason Sprong probably has inside on a top six spot is he’s a natural RW.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
surprised that Sprong can only get like a 1 year sub 1M contract after back to back 40+ point seasons. Have to wonder if that how much Hog will be valued if he becomes a 40ish point scorer.
It's more than the points. Basically no coach in his career has trusted him, and it's because his defensive play and forechecking effort is below replacement level.

I've said elsewhere that I don't think Hoglander has much value either. He's a small, low/no defensive utility, mid-tier scoring forward. We see these guys routinely be regarded poorly.

If a team was looking at Hoglander, they could also throw a league minimum deal at Yamamoto and pretty much get the same output.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Love it.

Essentially Kuzmenko at 975k.

If he can bring his defensive game up to a passable level and play top 6 he can definitely hit 35-40 goals. Worst case he’s able to provide elite offense from the 4th line.

The good news is that if there’s any player who can hold Sprong accountable on the ice it’s JT Miller. Tocchet, Allvin, and Rutherford all have history with the player so they know what they’re getting, both good and bad.

Loving the way our forward group has been assembled this offseason. Our depth is significantly better.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Our forward group has lots of versatility. Two tandems in Miller/Boeser and Pettersson/DeBrusk with players like Heinen, Suter, Sprong, and Hoglander that can all play up and down the lineup. Able to play third wheel on those lines. Maybe Sherwood too. It will be interesting to see if Joshua-Blueger-Garland can retain their chemistry. Overall, very excited to see how our lines look in the Fall.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Nice to have another right shot forward, we were lacking on that side.

You called it.

They were going to do something this offseason. Roster was not set. It was one part handedness, one part goal scoring and perhaps laying the groundwork for a future forward+ trade.

I've seen @Vector post about goals in and out, and I had similarly considered points in and out earlier on (not posted). If you compare DeBrusk, Heinen and Sherwood against Lindholm (both CGY and here), Mikheyev and Lafferty, it's pretty even in terms of points in and out. Further, a downgrade going from Zadorov-Cole to Forbort-Desharnais (just for points). So it seems like a 'push' overall. That begins to change with additions like Sprong. Who himself is a clear points upgrade on Podkolzin (on paper).

Now, they have a base whereby they can move ahead on chemistry or on paper totals (or both). It better ensures their scoring floor.

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Sprong is 17th in the whole league in points scored per 60 mins played the last two years playing 4th line mins?

Seems like a mental case in the D zone but hey, not easy to get potential 25-30 goal scorers out there for less than a mil.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Sprong is 17th in the whole league in points scored per 60 mins played the last two years playing 4th line mins?

Seems like a mental case in the D zone but hey, not easy to get potential 25-30 goal scorers out there for less than a mil.
He scored 46 points in 66 games playing only 11 mins/game and 32 were at ES, even if he was getting soft minutes that's an insane pace. Interested to see if Tocchet can get him to play more responsibly while keeping up production.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I do appreciate Alvin's timing. We needed something to talk about, and he didn't disappoint.

The next move should come a couple of days after August 11, when the Olympics end (Poolman out, please). Then we'll need something around the end of August to distract us from the inevitable, apocalyptic, choking brown haze in the sky, and soon after it's the Young Stars Classic.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In a league that supposedly values depth scoring, Sprong had 21 goals and 25 assists with Seattle in 2002-23 and 18 goals and 25 assists with the Wings last season. And the Canucks acquired his services for under $1m a season. Ridiculous.

I mean his production, relative to the limited minutes he gets, is off the charts. But so far, since he was drafted, he's plied his trade in Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Washington, Seattle, Detroit and now Vancouver. Why? I guess we're about to find out.

Maybe Tocchet is the guy who'll be able to 'unlock' his defensive potential. But he also tried with Kuzmenko, and we know how that turned out.

Yet I suppose a 'one-year, show me' deal means there's minimal risk.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
love this signing

as others have said, he replaces hoglander in the lineup and allows the canucks to use hog as a piece for a defenseman. worst case, you waive sprong if he can't stick and it doesn't matter. best case, he fits with petey the way kuzmenko did.

would've been happy with giving him an extra year at a slightly higher average just to make it more of a suter contract, but then you lose the flexibility of waiving him if he sucks.

absolutely thrilled with how the forward group is looking.

• Love

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Who all out of our forwards doesn't require clearing waivers to go to Abby?

I really think its still to early to lose either Pods or Hogs for nothing. I keep hoping Pods in particular will pick it up. I mean, in reality, he's been unlucky. Keeps hitting posts. both of them are only 23. I believe neither would clear waivers.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Tocchet's going to hate him.

He dethrones Hog as whipping boy in waiting

People are talking about dumping Hog which is logical, but I think this means Pod gets cut.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Could be the Canucks aren't done. They might be packaging one or two of their young forwards for an upgrade, either at center or on the blueline.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think you probably attach Hogs or Podz to Poolman to move that contract, and maybe pick up Kylington for cheap, then see how things roll. There will be cap space to spare potentially for an in-season upgrade on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad