Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Daniel Sprong to 1-Year Deal ($975K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Love it! Sprong offensively has all the tools. If Tocchet can work on him on the defensive side and motor/drive a bit we have a legit top 6 player for under a mil.

Reactions: Indiana

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
1721505107136.png

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
At first I though why?

Then I realized low cost depth doesn't hurt.

Then i remembered almost every FA deal signed by the Canucks this off season are incredibly low AAV short term deals that can result in easy trades in the season to recoup picks/assets for the future.

The ONLY questions I have are now regarding Podkolzin and Hoglander. This leaves Podkolzin on the outside or riding the pine and that doesn't sit well with me as we need to see something from this kid soon. As well as Hoglander, people put him on the trade block but where does one find a middle 6 producer for his 1.1 million? (yes I relaize the sprong signing here but really)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
On one hand, obviously a win just because it's low-risk and medium-upside. Sprong can give them 20ish goals at under a mil, great value.

I've also talked a lot about how the Canucks need to diversify their offense, and Sprong brings them a rush element that they did not have enough of last season.

That said, he is horrible defensively, constantly cheats/blow the zone, and doesn't forecheck. He is the anti-Tocchet player and I more-or-less expect him to land in the Kuzmenko doghouse pretty quickly.

This may also somewhat be a prelude to a Hoglander trade. Hard to see Tocc putting both of them in the lineup at the same time.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I can’t believe he came that cheap, obviously has warts as a player but damn that’s one Hell of a money ball contract for that even strength offensive production.

Obviously Sprong is banking on himself and saw opportunity here to play with Miller or Pettersson.

At this rate they don’t even have to move anyone, just waive Aman, I think.
you can waive pdg too. but the other option is dangling hoglander/pods for defensive help. dont feel confident in forbot handling top 4 mins in case of injuries.

Curious what number he picks here

• Wow
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I like that he gives flexibility to the lineup and players moving up/down as needed for extremely cheap, but he does have a lot of issues in the defensive zone. It'll be interesting to see how much Tocchet trusts him and plays him because he won't like the way Sprong plays.

Reactions: Indiana and arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
On one hand, obviously a win just because it's low-risk and medium-upside. Sprong can give them 20ish goals at under a mil, great value.

I've also talked a lot about how the Canucks need to diversify their offense, and Sprong brings them a rush element that they did not have enough of last season.

That said, he is horrible defensively, constantly cheats/blow the zone, and doesn't forecheck. He is the anti-Tocchet player and I more-or-less expect him to land in the Kuzmenko doghouse pretty quickly.

This may also somewhat be a prelude to a Hoglander trade. Hard to see Tocc putting both of them in the lineup at the same time.
surprised that Sprong can only get like a 1 year sub 1M contract after back to back 40+ point seasons. Have to wonder if that how much Hog will be valued if he becomes a 40ish point scorer.

Reactions: Indiana and MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
you can waive pdg too. but the other option is dangling hoglander/pods for defensive help. dont feel confident in forbot handling top 4 mins in case of injuries.

PDG wouldn’t get you under the cap I don’t think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad