Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Daniel Sprong to 1-Year Deal ($975K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I like the signing, it's no risk/medium reward.

But knowing Tocchet I expect Sprong to be flipped for an upgrade on F/D in 2025 even if he's putting up pretty good offensive numbers.

Reactions: Indiana

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
69 or bust

Makes me want to watch Goon again. Also I think Silovs is going change numbers
FB_IMG_1721529509265.jpg

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I like the signing, it's no risk/medium reward.

But knowing Tocchet I expect Sprong to be flipped for an upgrade on F/D in 2025 even if he's putting up pretty good offensive numbers.

Tocchet has to bend a little here. He talked about being too strict with the systems play and how it led to a lack of shots/scoring. This is his chance. Ease up and keep the scoring in house.

It's another reason I don't think Hoglander is out automatically. He'll be given a chance because he scored. Podkolzin however, he's in tough.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Digging into this guy a bit more his stats are freaking hilarious. He is absolutely abysmal defensively but scores and generates assists at a legit top-line rate. He’s probably better offensively than Kuzmenko as he generates assists across career at a better rate and basically generates a similar goals per 60 rate. He’s not just a high-rate scorer, he’s also a well above average playmaker.

What a crazy weird player. Would be sorta nuts if Tocchet can teach him to play system defense.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not a fan of the player but at this price why not? Gives the team another option as far as goal scoring abilities. Rutherford obviously liked this player in the past. I highly doubt Tocchet will like him. I still think he could be a fit alongside Aman.

I suppose it's also a testament to the player Sprong is given that Sprong didn't sign for something similar to what Heinen signed for somewhere.

Digging into this guy a bit more his stats are freaking hilarious. He is absolutely abysmal defensively but scores and generates assists at a legit top-line rate. He’s probably better offensively than Kuzmenko as he generates assists across career at a better rate and basically generates a similar goals per 60 rate. He’s not just a high-rate scorer, he’s also a well above average playmaker.

What a crazy weird player. Would be sorta nuts if Tocchet can teach him to play system defense.
Ya he's an odd player. He's like the equivalent of an elite pinch hitter or a guy who steps on the court and get spotted 3s.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Trying to attach Podz or Hogs to move Poolmans contract is a very dumb move, something Benning would do.
At present, there simply is no roster room for both of them. As it is, one or both will end up on the waiver wire and possibly taken for nothing.

Using one of of them as a sweetener to dump Poolman is infinitely more useful than that.

You use a mid to late round pick to move on from a single LTIR year of Poolman, you don’t attach young NHL players unless you’re getting something decent in return.
Neither of those guys has any more value than a mid-round pick right now, if that.

Reactions: Vector and Lindgren

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think he would work well with Aman considering that Aman himself isn't very solid defensively (despite looking like it optically).

It's a very weird fit because what he does extremely well is what Hoglander does well, without as many defensive issues (though still some).

I feel like they either work on his game and try to turn him into something more salvageable, or he gets no icetime under Tocchet and is only the 13th forward if he stays the same player.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
At present, there simply is no roster room for both of them. As it is, one or both will end up on the waiver wire and possibly taken for nothing.

Using one of of them as a sweetener to dump Poolman is infinitely more useful than that.

Neither of those guys has any more value than a mid-round pick right now, if that.
Podkolzin maybe, Hoglander absolutely not. Both are still more valuable then getting out of 2.5 LTIR

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I guess that's the hope from many here, but I am not optimistic on that. No coach has got him to play better defense so far.

And part of why he creates offense efficiently is because of his poor defensive habits. He gets a lot of rush chances because he's a poacher, probing on blowing the zone early (or not backtracking in the NZ) in the hopes that his teammates can regain possession and hit him with a quick outlet while he's darting behind the opposition.

A lot of how he creates offense basically requires him to not be doing any defending. I've said elsewhere many times that the Canucks need more of a rush element, and this is one way to do it. But it's hard to see this meshing with Tocc.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Podkolzin maybe, Hoglander absolutely not. Both are still more valuable then getting out of 2.5 LTIR
Hoglander is a small, offense-only (that doesn't produce that much), zero-defensive utility winger. These guys have little value. I mean, look at Sprong and what the league thinks of him, and he's a far more proven scorer.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hoglander is a small, offense-only (that doesn't produce that much), zero-defensive utility winger. These guys have little value. I mean, look at Sprong and what the league thinks of him, and he's a far more proven scorer.
Hoglander just had a 24 goal season for 1.1 million, and is far more tenacious around the net with some good bite. For a 23 year old, he can just as easily bite you in the ass for trading him

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Hoglander just had a 24 goal season for 1.1 million, and is far more tenacious around the net with some good bite. For a 23 year old, he can just as easily bite you in the ass for trading him
He would absolutely bite you in the ass. Dude hits and forechecks like an animal and can chip in 20+ goals and is cheap. Why would you trade that?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I guess that's the hope from many here, but I am not optimistic on that. No coach has got him to play better defense so far.

And part of why he creates offense efficiently is because of his poor defensive habits. He gets a lot of rush chances because he's a poacher, probing on blowing the zone early (or not backtracking in the NZ) in the hopes that his teammates can regain possession and hit him with a quick outlet while he's darting behind the opposition.

A lot of how he creates offense basically requires him to not be doing any defending. I've said elsewhere many times that the Canucks need more of a rush element, and this is one way to do it. But it's hard to see this meshing with Tocc.

He must be good centre line forward in the offensive zone generally though because he also generates assists at a pretty top-notch rate, so he’s not just cherry picking goals.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Checking the current Canuck roster on Puck-pedia, I just don't see how there's going to be any room for the likes of Raty, Bains, Karlsson and Sasson.

I'm pretty sure Karlsson will have to be exposed to waivers, and I'm equally sure Raty is exempt. Not sure of the status of Sasson or Bains.
Allvin and JR said as soon as they got here that they wanted the AHL players to stay in the "A" longer so this isn't a huge surprise. Around the same time, one of the Sedin's was asked the best way to build a winning team and the reply was (paraphrase) "for players to outperform their contracts".

Reason #789 that Benning is in the witness protection program
Benning is the witless projection program.

Who all out of our forwards doesn't require clearing waivers to go to Abby?
This was my first thought as well. I think that puts the roster at 14 forwards that must clear waivers to get sent down?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He must be good centre line forward in the offensive zone generally though because he also generates assists at a pretty top-notch rate, so he’s not just cherry picking goals.
Before he signed with the Wings last season, Jack Han did an analysis of all his goals with the Kraken and found that half were because of "poaching" for rush chances, another 5 were on the PP (left flank shooter), and the remaining 5 were from a hodgepodge of chance types. I think this is the kind of a player he is - cheating to get rush chances.

I don't think it's hard to imagine him turning those same types of chances into assists, hitting a trailer on the rush or holding up to let a teammate drive the back post.

He could

But that doesn't really dispute that he doesn't have much trade value. Or that he doesn't really have an obvious lineup spot on the team.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Dhaliwal is wasted already

Still wasted from yesterday.

wonder if he sounds more like Don Cherry as he gets more hammered

cmon, u guys try and keep everything 💯 when there is not any time where ur bac is under .50

u know u are pro when u add a little splash of coffee to ur crown to wake up in the morning, after a mixed drink consisting of crown and mouthwash

rick dhaliwal is always soooooooooo drunk because he never isn't drinking crown

he is so whacky and zany (but mostly drunk) that he hooked up an iv drip to provide a steady stream of, u guessed it, crown as he sleeps

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canucks have only invested a year in him, but wondering how long it'll be before he's firmly in Tocchet's dog-house......I mean if he couldn't stomach both Kuzmenko and even Hoglander at times, he's going to double up on his ulcers with Sprong.

According to Allvin, Sprong has 'matured; as a hockey player. His biggest payday was last season in Detroit with a $2m contract. So he's taking quite a hair-cut to play in Vancouver.

But six teams in eight years after signing his ELC, is an indicator that his scoring simply wasn't enough of a wash for teams to live with his work on the defensive side of the puck.

But how knows, maybe Tocchet can make at least an average defensive winger out of him?

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Before he signed with the Wings last season, Jack Han did an analysis of all his goals with the Kraken and found that half were because of "poaching" for rush chances, another 5 were on the PP (left flank shooter), and the remaining 5 were from a hodgepodge of chance types. I think this is the kind of a player he is - cheating to get rush chances.

I don't think it's hard to imagine him turning those same types of chances into assists, hitting a trailer on the rush or holding up to let a teammate drive the back post.

He could

But that doesn't really dispute that he doesn't have much trade value. Or that he doesn't really have an obvious lineup spot on the team.
Far more value than a throw in to dump 2.5 in LTIR

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
The Canucks have only invested a year in him, but wondering how long it'll be before he's firmly in Tocchet's dog-house......I mean if he couldn't stomach both Kuzmenko and even Hoglander at times, he's going to double up on his ulcers with Sprong.

According to Allvin, Sprong has 'matured; as a hockey player. His biggest payday was last season in Detroit with a $2m contract. So he's taking quite a hair-cut to play in Vancouver.

But six teams in eight years after signing his ELC, is an indicator that his scoring simply wasn't enough of a wash for teams to live with his work on the defensive side of the puck.

But how knows, maybe Tocchet can make at least an average defensive winger out of him?
Perhaps him maturing and being last to the trough in FA a few years in a row will have him put in more effort on Defence. He was on a podcast recently (4 months ago) talking about how many GMs didn't want to give him a contract for that very reason last year or so. Plus, Tocchet hopefully can give him a boost. There really isn't much risk at worst they put him on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad