Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
11 yrs later... some Canuck fans finally get their guy.

Can remember the draft where some people were excited over the prospect of drafting him over Hodgson...

Reactions: F A N

Zambaloni

Jun 25, 2019
Winnipeg
Jets fan here, I'll just quickly post and then be on my way.

I liked having Myers on our team. He wasn't always consistent, but he's a good defender. The first time you see him in on a play but have to trace back on the other team's advance, and he reaches in to steal the puck from a mile behind the player, you'll be amazed at his reach and stick. That's just one of those things that will make you glad he's on your team.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
@Peter10

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...efenceman-3-4-on-a-really-good-team-1.1332135

"NBC sports hockey insider and game analyst Pierre McGuire likes Tyler Myers game and feels that he can be compared to fellow giant defenceman like Colton Parayko and Alex Pietrangelo. McGuire also said that he gauges his opinion by watching players up close and doesn't take his cues from analytics."

Lol this is one of the dumbest things Pierre Mcguire has ever said.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I feel like people are going to have a huge wake-up call when they actually see this player skate on a regular basis.

If we've learned anything... Some people will hold on to the reputation for YEARS despite what they watch on the ice or what the stats say.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
@Peter10

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...efenceman-3-4-on-a-really-good-team-1.1332135

"NBC sports hockey insider and game analyst Pierre McGuire likes Tyler Myers game and feels that he can be compared to fellow giant defenceman like Colton Parayko and Alex Pietrangelo. McGuire also said that he gauges his opinion by watching players up close and doesn't take his cues from analytics."

This is just horrible... Parayko and Pietrangelo are legit 1st pairing D men.

Trust me... this is unfair to Myers. No way he lives up to this kind of expectations...

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
@Peter10

If he's half as good as those two we have a gem but sadly it's not what I'm reading from Jets fans. However he has his positives as well he's just not great at making quick exit passes as he seems to take awhile to get a read. However he's fine in the offensive zone and uses his stick well defending.

Reactions: Peggy

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
This is just horrible... Parayko and Pietrangelo are legit 1st pairing D men.

Trust me... this is unfair to Myers. No way he lives up to this kind of expectations...

I know. That's just his opinion, not mine.

I just want to show Peter and friends that not everyone thinks that Myers is a #5 defenseman. Most analysts think he's a 2nd pairing guy.........with some guys thinking that he's even more.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
@Peter10

I respect McGuire’s opinion, and I hope he’s right. But my eye test says no way is Myers either of those guys.

Feb 20, 2013
I didnt do the math on per game basis... But to me this is a long ass stretch where he doesnt hit 30.

View attachment 242545

But again; I get what you are saying.

That span is 113pts in 311 games, which equates to 30pts per 82.

I had no idea he has been such a consistent point producer. If anything this chart makes it seem like he has the potential to produce more than 30 in the larger role he will take on in Vancouver.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
If he's half as good as those two we have a gem but sadly it's not what I'm reading from Jets fans. However he has his positives as well he's just not great at making quick exit passes as he seems to take awhile to get a read. However he's fine in the offensive zone and uses his stick well defending.

Pretty good analyst of him

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
I know. That's just his opinion, not mine.

I just want to show Peter and friends that not everyone thinks that Myers is a #5 defenseman. Most analysts think he's a 2nd pairing guy.........with some guys thinking that he's even more.

I think you should rely less on analysts than you do right now. Analysts are frequently wrong, and I don't know if Mcguire should even be considered an analyst.

"NHL insider Pierre McGuire joins Sekeres & Price & says the Canucks hit a home run in acquiring Erik Gudbranson because he's so tough to play against. McGuire also said that Gudbranson could be captain material one day."

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not surprising that checking other media commentators from around the NHL, the Myers contract is near the top of many lists of the worst UFA signings on July 1st. But $6m for five years isn't really an 'over-payment' and for a team as starved for blueline talent as the Canucks, it's really hard to argue with, even if he isn't an everyday top-four guy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not surprising that checking other media commentators from around the NHL, the Myers contract is near the top of many lists of the worst UFA signings on July 1st. But $6m for five years isn't really an 'over-payment' and for a team as starved for blueline talent as the Canucks, it's really hard to argue with, even if he isn't an everyday top-four guy.

JB keeps bringing in guys and expecting them to contribute more when given more ice time. When will he learn that guy’s kind of are what they are, and it’s extremely rare for a player to play better with more ice time? Actually guys normally get worse, because they’re not able to play those minutes.

Reactions: daddyohsix

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
11 yrs later... some Canuck fans finally get their guy.

Can remember the draft where some people were excited over the prospect of drafting him over Hodgson...

You wonder if "history" was the reason Schenn didn't re-sign here.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
JB keeps bringing in guys and expecting them to contribute more when given more ice time. When will he learn that guy’s kind of are what they are, and it’s extremely rare for a player to play better with more ice time? Actually guys normally get worse, because they’re not able to play those minutes.

I thought one just takes G/60 or Pts/60 and multiply it by ice time and PP opportunities? :huh:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
He really was a poor target on many levels. From what I've heard and read, the team had targeted both Subban (NJ was willing to take on his full salary, we weren't) and Barrie (I believe we may have traded the 10th if the players the team liked were already gone). Both of these are excellent targets imo.

This indicates to me that Myers was always the Plan C, or oh shit desperate free agent signing b/c they felt they had to do something. But if they struck out on Barrie and Subban that's when you just...stop. No need for panicky moves where you sign a #5 to top 4 money, and add another bloated, albatross contract to the club.

Such a shame we couldn't have landed one of the first two. I'm not sure Podkolzin and the Myers contract (which I view as a negative asset) is better than Barrie and the flexibility and superior play that player and contract provides.

Last edited:

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
You can be sure that some team would've given Myers that contract - GM's haven't learned yet, but why did it have to be us? Myers is going to get shredded playing on the top pair when Tanev inevitably gets injured. Then when it's obvious the player is overpaid and declining in the coming years it'll be impossible to move him.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
You can be sure that some team would've given Myers that contract - GM's haven't learned yet, but why did it have to be us? Myers is going to get shredded playing on the top pair when Tanev inevitably gets injured. Then when it's obvious the player is overpaid and declining in the coming years it'll be impossible to move him.

I'm hoping the ED saves our butts here...we'll have to see if any our d prospects make the show and are worth protecting but if we go for the 8 skater route and leave all d exposed (Edler's contract will run out, Hughes doesn't require protection) then they might take Myers. I'd send a 2nd round pick to ensure that happens personally.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
@Peter10

Pierre has always been mesmerized by Big Body Presence and Big Active Sticks. I won't read into it any more than that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He really was a poor target on many levels. From what I've heard and read, the team had targeted both Subban (NJ was willing to take on his full salary, we weren't) and Barrie (I believe we may have traded the 10th if the players the team liked were already gone). Both of these are excellent targets imo.

This indicates to me that Myers was always the Plan C, or oh **** desperate free agent signing b/c they felt they had to do something. But if they struck out on Barrie and Subban that's when you just...stop. No need for panicky moves where you sign a #5 to top 4 money, and add another bloated, albatross contract to the club.

Such a shame we couldn't have landed one of the first two. I'm not sure Podkolzin and the Myers contract (which I view as a negative asset) is better than Barrie and the flexibility and superior play that player and contract provides.

There is nothing wrong with having a Plan C. Nashville apparently wanted Gaudette as part of the package along with Vancouver taking on his full salary. The Canucks said no. The Barrie deal fell apart, but probably involved a significant return. Barrie is a pending UFA and will be the same age as Myers is now when he becomes a UFA. Barrie is going to cost a lot to re-sign. $8Mx6yrs might not get it done. But ya Barrie would have been better than Myers. In fact, it might not have been mutually exclusive either as the Canucks can move Tanev and sign Myers still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad