Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Myers sounds like basically a warm body, which are important to have when Tanev and Edler are always broken.
He is arguably in the later part of his prime right now at 29. Most of it will depend on who he finds chemistry with I guess. The fact Jets fans don't give a rats fiddle that he's left should tell you something.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Winnipeg is also a much better offensive team. And he scored 18 two seasons ago so has averaged 20 ES points/82 GP in his last two years. And he's a year older. Maybe remove the 'incredibly' but very few non-elite players top 25 ES points in a season.

If you think Myers is going to get 35+ points with the PP usage he's likely to get here, you're in dreamland.

Well I think we can expect to be a better offensive team this year than yrs past...

Myers PP time will ebb & flow as the units will shakeup when it hits its inevitable dry spells...
Unlike last yr when he had to fall back on Hutton when desperate... this yr I think he'll be a lot more comfortable placing Myers in there - quite regularly I would predict. - dependent on his effectiveness of course, which in the past has been decent.

I don't think he'll simply be locked out of mins by Edler and Hughes... he'll see significant pp time.

And you're thinking of another poster that said 35 pts...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well I think we can expect to be a better offensive team this year than yrs past...

Myers PP time will ebb & flow as the units will shakeup when it hits its inevitable dry spells...
Unlike last yr when he had to fall back on Hutton when desperate... this yr I think he'll be a lot more comfortable placing Myers in there - quite regularly I would predict. - dependent on his effectiveness of course, which in the past has been decent.

I don't think he'll simply be locked out of mins by Edler and Hughes... he'll see significant pp time.

And you're thinking of another poster that said 35 pts...

I would expect we’ll see his usual 20 ES points plus 5 or so PP points.

That 35+ point claim is what started this discussion.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I would expect we’ll see his usual 20 ES points plus 5 or so PP points.

That 35+ point claim is what started this discussion.
So you predict 25 pts after all?

Something you JUST called 'incredibly unlikely'.... which is what got me into the discussion.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So you predict 25 pts after all?

Something you JUST called 'incredibly unlikely'.... which is what got me into the discussion.

As I said before, I should have said 'unlikely he goes over 25 points' as removed the 'incredibly'. And I feel 25 points is being generous.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I think Myers might get a lot of PP time. Which will improve his point totals, do you really think Edler goes ahead of him on PP. I think Myers will get first unit PP time with Petterson and Boeser. I also think that Myers is as good as Edler on the PP, but worse everywhere else. Signing a offensive d-man to a 6 million deal and not playing him on the PP would really weird. Taking away some of Edlers PP minutes would be good since he will probably be our no PK D-man.

Hopefully Hughes shows that he is ready to run a NHL PP and Myers & Edler gets time with the second unit.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As I said before, I should have said 'unlikely he goes over 25 points' as removed the 'incredibly'. And I feel 25 points is being generous.

I didn't read the entire discussion so my apologies if I am missing something here, but 2016-2017 injury riddled season aside, Myers hasn't had a sub 26 point season since 2013-2014 when he played 62 games? The guy has also played on mostly bad teams over his career.

Personally, I'm expecting Myers to be given a lot of opportunity and minutes. 30+ points is my prediction.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think Myers might get a lot of PP time. Which will improve his point totals, do you really think Edler goes ahead of him on PP. I think Myers will get first unit PP time with Petterson and Boeser. I also think that Myers is as good as Edler on the PP, but worse everywhere else. Signing a offensive d-man to a 6 million deal and not playing him on the PP would really weird. Taking away some of Edlers PP minutes would be good since he will probably be our no PK D-man.

Hopefully Hughes shows that he is ready to run a NHL PP and Myers & Edler gets time with the second unit.
I think it'll be a transitional yr... Edler will still get his shot...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think it'll be a transitional yr... Edler will still get his shot...

I think he will as well. Though I do think they will plan to use Myers and Hughes on the first unit fairly early on. It will give them some more flexibility with having a Right shot and left shot up top.

Though until you start to see how guys read off of each other it's hard to predict what will happen. It may turn out that Edler understands better how Hughes wants to do things and is a better fit. It may turn out that Hughes needs a lot more seasoning in his decision making and mans the second unit.

And we've gone down this route before...criticized signings get ample opportunity to make the boss look good. Myers to start the year will be given a lot of ice. After the first third/half of the season Green will start to make his pecking order known.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Damn, I had almost forgotten that we had signed Tyler Myers for $6MM. Going to be a long year.
Myers #4/5 d
Eriksson 3rd/4th liner
Sutter 4c
Beagle 4c
Schaller 15th forward
Spooner buyout

Totalling $22.308 this coming season for a bottom pair d, 4 bottom 6 crap players and a buyout

ABSOLUTELY NUTS

Reactions: RIP Botchford

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Myers #4/5 d
Eriksson 3rd/4th liner
Sutter 4c
Beagle 4c
Schaller 15th forward
Spooner buyout

Totalling $22.308 this coming season for a bottom pair d, 4 bottom 6 crap players and a buyout

ABSOLUTELY NUTS

It's Ok though, the cap doesn't really matter and by the time they need to sign the young guys money will be freed up. Hey...is Boeser under contract yet? :laugh:

I said several times that this was the offseason that Benning was going to get himself into cap hell that could seriously impact the team and I'll be damned it didn't turn out that way. But Gillis!!!!!!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Tyler Myers plays controlled minutes in the second or third pairing, and anchors the second-unit pp, he'll be a solid addition for the Canucks. But if Edler and Tanev go down with their inevitable injuries and Myers has to move into the top-pairing, look out. That's when the wheels fell off the wagon in Winterpeg.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
If Tyler Myers plays controlled minutes in the second or third pairing, and anchors the second-unit pp, he'll be a solid addition for the Canucks. But if Edler and Tanev go down with their inevitable injuries and Myers has to move into the top-pairing, look out. That's when the wheels fell off the wagon in Winterpeg.

Rather have Stecher on the 2nd unit. But they'll probably put Myers there because he's the big contract player.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver

From the sounds of that, isn't really worth $6 million a season.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Is he worth 6 million as a player - no
Is he realisticallyworth 6 million - yes. Taking into consideration UFA status, supply/demand for Dmen in the market. Most poeple thought he was going to fetch $7MM. Go back and read through the main thread on the board. 6 million was a bit of a shock

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is he realisticallyworth 6 million - yes. Taking into consideration UFA status, supply/demand for Dmen in the market. Most poeple thought he was going to fetch $7MM. Go back and read through the main thread on the board. 6 million was a bit of a shock
Exactly this...most of the prognosticators had him pegged for $7-8M a season.

Anton Stralman got 3 x $5.5M ,and who knows how much Gardiner will get?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

That is the biggest falsehood we currently see in pro sports. Just because the market is willing to pay something has no bearing on if that player is worth it. The league is filled with players like this from Lucic who took less to the flipside where players are under paid.

The secret is to find the real value and not over pay.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
So what should be the takeaway in your opinion?

That Nielsen, Ladd, Eriksson, Lucic, and literally every other UFA is worth their contract because that is what the market dictated?

Or that teams should just step out of the bidding war for overpriced mid range UFAs?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Exactly this...most of the prognosticators had him pegged for $7-8M a season.

Anton Stralman got 3 x $5.5M ,and who knows how much Gardiner will get?

Those reports that said he would get 7-8 million are bull****. What team's would have the capspace that he would be willing to sign to? If teams were willing to pay 7-8 million he would of got paid that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I believe what the poster is getting at is that despite what the "prognosticators" were tweeting, realistically nobody was going to offer Myers 8 million per season. That is, there is a gulf between the reality of the situation and the conjecture.
Would you have been shocked if he got $7M a season.?...probably not...and most people were surprised that he signed for $6m

"The most attractive and highest-producing under-30 UFA defenceman remaining once Karlsson signed. Logs more than 20 minutes nightly. Solid power-play option. Big body. Shoots right."

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
So what should be the takeaway in your opinion?

That Nielsen, Ladd, Eriksson, Lucic, and literally every other UFA is worth their contract because that is what the market dictated?

Or that teams should just step out of the bidding war for overpriced mid range UFAs?
The takeaway is that the contract is probably a fair contract generally speaking

however, was it a good contract FOR THIS TEAM... well, many would say "no", so thats the subjective part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad