Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think Edler is going to have a big year. He was on pace for 50 points last year and 186 hits...both of which would have been the best for his entire career.
Maybe he's in a bit of a resurgence.... if he plays the full year like he did last year and is paired with Myers, he'll hopefully due a lot of the "heavy lifting" on that D pairing and cover some of Myers shortcomings

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The takeaway is that the contract is probably a fair contract generally speaking

however, was it a good contract FOR THIS TEAM... well, many would say "no", so thats the subjective part.

Again I don't think you understand the concept. Hell Logan Paul made a fortune of his stupid videos is that fair? Nope.

Is it Fair for Eriksson to make as much as he does? Nope?

Is it fair for the Islanders to still be paying for Dipetro? Nope.

However bad decisions get made all the time. Like did Crash deserve the Oscar for best picture? Probably not.

Did Trump deserve to become president? Nope.

Did I deserve a better fate with my Ex Girlfriend? Yep...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It says nothing about other teams that would spend that on Myers. Players and agents always ask for more than they are worth. No team was going to sign Tyler Myers to a 7-8 million dollar contract.
...but most people were very surprised the Canucks got him for $6M per....right?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Those reports of him getting $7-8M are far from BS....
NHL's Top 12 UFAs of 2019: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca
A lot of players received less than expected this year (in both term and total dollars) due to the market shifting on free agents. There was much more weight put towards expansion and upcoming CBA negotiations than anticipated. Myers was also the only defensive FA thus far to get over 3 years. Don't think it means much outside of the fact his contract was signed very early so the market hadn't really been established yet.

Reactions: mossey3535

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
How is it that the Canucks treated Myers like an absolutely elite free agent and locked him up the second free agency started, yetba superior defender in Jake Gardiner still is on the market...

The Canucks always get tunnel vision on the players they want and show no ability to negotiate or have proper foresight.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Again I don't think you understand the concept. Hell Logan Paul made a fortune of his stupid videos is that fair? Nope.

Is it Fair for Eriksson to make as much as he does? Nope?

Is it fair for the Islanders to still be paying for Dipetro? Nope.

However bad decisions get made all the time. Like did Crash deserve the Oscar for best picture? Probably not.

Did Trump deserve to become president? Nope.

Did I deserve a better fate with my Ex Girlfriend? Yep...

Be an alpha male and find a better girl. Stop sulking like a beta. Just saying :thumbu:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exactly this...most of the prognosticators had him pegged for $7-8M a season.

Anton Stralman got 3 x $5.5M ,and who knows how much Gardiner will get?

If I pay $15k for a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire with 270k on the odometer, I haven't made a great deal just because I didn't pay $18k for it.

A $30 million commitment to an aging, slow #4-5 defender still blows, although not as much as a $40 million commitment.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If I pay $15k for a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire with 270k on the odometer, I haven't made a great deal just because I didn't pay $18k for it.

A $30 million commitment to an aging, slow #4-5 defender still blows, although not as much as a $40 million commitment.
What other options would you have taken?....re sign Hutton and Schenn?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Absolutely, better to take those guys for $5M combined and then swing for the fences on a defenceman actually worth money next season.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
What other options would you have taken?....re sign Hutton and Schenn?

Foresight matters to anyone who values the long term success of the Canucks. So yeah, what you've suggested would probably be better for the Canucks in the long term. Heck, maybe in the short term too.

This is the crux of the problem with the bumblings of the Acquilinis... they decided to go with a lame duck GM in Benning, who has predictably made moves with the sole purpose of making the playoffs in 2020 to preserve his job. These decisions could potentially lock the Canucks into mediocrity until Horvat and Pettersson retire or sign elsewhere as UFAs.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
How is it that the Canucks treated Myers like an absolutely elite free agent and locked him up the second free agency started, yetba superior defender in Jake Gardiner still is on the market...

The Canucks always get tunnel vision on the players they want and show no ability to negotiate or have proper foresight.
Agreed, its a much better strategy to sit back have patience and see if you can pick up a player on a really cheap deal.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed, its a much better strategy to sit back have patience and see if you can pick up a player on a really cheap deal.
Is it?...what if you sit back and watch the big names go off the board...and the guy you want does not want to play in Canada,or his wife hates the city...?...The player has to want to play here..It takes both parties to come to an agreement in UFA.

Not being pro active means that there's a good chance you'll be dumpster diving on July 2nd.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Patrick Nemeth on a 2 year deal. Tim Heed even for cheap RS with upside—again, a 1 or 2 year deal for very cheap cheap.
You're obviously still in 'tank mode'...we don't need anymore bottom pairing D....Even though Myers can be an adventure in his own end..He brings offence from the back end, and is good on the PP...two things the canucks have desperately lacked in the last few years..

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

If we are talking foot speed, Tyler Myers is not slow. He s always been a good skater and I think that strength of his game will show here. Perhaps you mean his decision making?

I'm not thrilled by the Myers contract either by the way - im somewhere in the middle

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Is it?...what if you sit back and watch the big names go off the board...and the guy you want does not want to play in Canada,or his wife hates the city...?...The player has to want to play here..It takes both parties.

Not being pro active means that there's a good chance you'll be dumpster diving on July 2nd.
I would agree with you that, yes sometimes you need to be the one that goes after their target on day 1. However in general I believe its a better strategy to not overpay for a FA on day 1. And ofcourse not every signing is an overpayment but by nature of the system most FA signings are.

If I were the GM as a best practice I would sign a FA on day 1 as an exception and not the rule.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I would agree with you that, yes sometimes you need to be the one that goes after their target on day 1. However in general I believe its a better strategy to not overpay for a FA on day 1. And ofcourse not every signing is an overpayment but by nature of the system most FA signings are.

If I were the GM as a best practice I would sign a FA on day 1 as an exception and not the rule.
Seems to me that the best UFA's are getting signed well in advance of July 1...in the last few years...

Reactions: F A N

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
You're obviously still in 'tank mode'...we don't need anymore bottom pairing D....Even though Myers can be an adventure in his own end..He brings offence from the back end, and is good on the PP...two things the canucks have desperately lacked in the last few years..

So Myers is going to play on the PP over Hughes or Edler? Without significant PP time he's not putting up more than about 25 points (as MS has also forecasted)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Myers signing could go either way. He could solidify the Canucks blueline and anchor the second unit pp....or he could be the d-man equivalent of Louie Eriksson. We'll find out soon enough, if Jimbo has signed another contract boat anchor yet again.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If we are talking foot speed, Tyler Myers is not slow. He s always been a good skater and I think that strength of his game will show here. Perhaps you mean his decision making?

I'm not thrilled by the Myers contract either by the way - im somewhere in the middle
I was never bothered by acquiring the player, but I was by his contract...and the talk at that time was $7M for 6-7 years..Considering his age, consistency..and the fact that it is silly season (UFA)....$6M x 5 was more than fair.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So Myers is going to play on the PP over Hughes or Edler? Without significant PP time he's not putting up more than about 25 points (as MS has also forecasted)
"What’s more impressive is how he gets those points. Myers is first among NHL defencemen in one category on the power play: primary assists, the pass (or shot and a rebound) that leads directly to a goal. In other words, if you’re looking for someone on the power play to set up your snipers — say, Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson — Myers might be your best bet."..Vancouver Courier

To get the most out of Tyler Myers, Canucks need him to be on the power play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad