Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
NO what Im saying is dont overpay mediocre players. That is not a good way to build a team. Its not hard understand, you spemd money on good players, not on third liners and no 4 dmen

This assumes that all teams have the same situation and strategy.

The team had a D-core that was not competitive,
+ They had very limited assets from which to trade to improve the D-core.
+ They had a goal to make the playoffs in 19/20 (not saying this was right, just it is what it is)
= Need to sign the best D-man they could access as a UFA.

One can criticize why the cupboard is bare after many years or the strategy to make the playoffs in 19/20. But once those two are set, there is little choice but to add through free agency, which always results in overpayment.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Ok..what I’m saying is that by definition.. UFA = overpayment.

How many top 4 D were available?..I know one of them got $11M and the (who’s on his last legs) got $5.5m

Is Myers mediocre?..I’ll hold off on that until I see him with our D core.
Great stuff. Yes Myers is mediocre, he was on the third pairing on his last team.

If we had caproom we could have trade for Subban or Barrie. If hadnt overpaid Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Gagner (lead to Spooner buyout), We would have had money to spend to aquire better players.

This is why you Dont overpay 4th liners

Reactions: racerjoe and JackFr

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Ok..what I’m saying is that by definition.. UFA = overpayment.

How many top 4 D were available?..I know one of them got $11M and the (who’s on his last legs) got $5.5m

Is Myers mediocre?..I’ll hold off on that until I see him with our D core.

Such dumb logic, no wonder you love him Benning so much when your brain works like this.

Teams aren't built in the ufa period. Theres no rule in the NHL forcing teams to sign a certain number of players in july 1st. If you know a player will be overvalued in ufa, then dont sign the player.

And clearly Myers 600+games in the NHL isnt enough of a sample size, we need to judge him only after hes worn a vancouver Canucks uniform...sounds exactly like what people said when Eriksson signed.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
How the f*** does "Good deal" have 60 votes here..?

Forum politics?

I can understand someone thinking its not good but not bad... sort of, but to think this is a good deal for anyone but Myers and his agent is bonkers.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Such dumb logic, no wonder you love him Benning so much when your brain works like this.

Teams aren't built in the ufa period. Theres no rule in the NHL forcing teams to sign a certain number of players in july 1st. If you know a player will be overvalued in ufa, then dont sign the player.

And clearly Myers 600+games in the NHL isnt enough of a sample size, we need to judge him only after hes worn a vancouver Canucks uniform...sounds exactly like what people said when Eriksson signed.
I never said that teams are built on UFA (or trades)...Maybe you should learn to read before beaking off...

"If you know a player will be overvalued in ufa,"...lol..no shit....you're a genius.

I generally like to see players play on our team first..before coming up with rash negative statements.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I never said that teams are built on UFA (or trades)...Maybe you should learn to read before beaking off...

"If you know a player will be overvalued in ufa,"...lol..no ****....you're a genius.

I generally like to see players play on our team first..before coming up with rash negative statements.

Others of us have actually watched said players and formed opinions based on their level of play.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
How the **** does "Good deal" have 60 votes here..?

Forum politics?

I can understand someone thinking its not good but not bad... sort of, but to think this is a good deal for anyone but Myers and his agent is bonkers.

Considering people were expecting something like 7x7.5mil, I’d say 5x6 is a good deal. The context is important, it doesn’t mean Myers isn’t overpaid.

Reactions: Nomobo and sting101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Considering people were expecting something like 7x7.5mil, I’d say 5x6 is a good deal. The context is important, it doesn’t mean Myers isn’t overpaid.

So there should be a 4th option "could have been worse" that got the Good Deal votes?

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I agree, I think this is nonsense that he isnt overpaid. Last season we all feared a $6 million deal for Myers.

Then closer to ufa day tons a reports came out saying up to $8 million was a possibility for Myers and I saw people here all fearing that, more then $6 million obviously

Then he signed for $6 million. It was like a relief and a disaster at the same time

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I agree, I think this is nonsense that he isnt overpaid. Last season we all feared a $6 million deal for Myers.

Then closer to ufa day tons a reports came out saying up to $8 million was a possibility for Myers and I saw people here all fearing that, more then $6 million obviously

Then he signed for $6 million. It was like a relief and a disaster at the same time
Realistically though,..His previous contract with the Jets was for $5.5M per..(so he got a $500K raise)..Is he going to go to UFA and take a pay cut?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
So there should be a 4th option "could have been worse" that got the Good Deal votes?

I’m honestly going to do my best to stay positive and reserve my judgement until I see him play. When I have seen him play, albeit in very limited showings, I have been reasonably impressed.

But, I won’t judge those who chose to label this a “disaster” now as there is a good chance you could be right.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’m honestly going to do my best to stay positive and reserve my judgement until I see him play. When I have seen him play, albeit in very limited showings, I have been reasonably impressed.

But, I won’t judge those who chose to label this a “disaster” now as there is a good chance you could be right.
Not allowed here ..Superior posters (who watch all the other teams play) have already declared that he is 'no good'...

I would say that a change of scenery does impact a players performance.. (negative or positive)...Its been known to happen.

Reactions: sting101

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Not allowed here ..Superior posters (who watch all the other teams play) have already declared that he is 'no good'...

I would say that a change of scenery does impact a players performance.. (negative or positive)...Its been known to happen.

Am I wrong in guessing the only reason you do this for Myers is because of your emotional investment in Jim Benning?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

If we'd have traded for Subban or Barrie, you'd (the royal you, not you exclusively) have blamed Dim Jim for that too. "Why spend assets on overpaid or short term contracts?" would be the question. You hate the Myers and Ferland signings, how does the Miller trade strike you? Did you enjoy that? That seems to be the only larger lightning rod for criticism, and rightfully so, if the team won't compete in two years.

And no, there was a lot more negativity around the Eriksson signing at the time. Myers is paid proportionally less then Eriksson, and fills a need (even as a second pairing D). The only thing I remember being said frequently about Eriksson was that it was in line with other (now awful) signings.

Benning getting resigned is a gross disservice to fans, the city and the team, but are we really saying we'd rather have given up assets for another player instead of signing one for no assets but cap space? Do we hate draft picks as much as Benning "Classic" now?

Reactions: notsocommonsense

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If we'd have traded for Subban or Barrie, you'd (the royal you, not you exclusively) have blamed Dim Jim for that too. "Why spend assets on overpaid or short term contracts?" would be the question. You hate the Myers and Ferland signings, how does the Miller trade strike you? Did you enjoy that? That seems to be the only larger lightning rod for criticism, and rightfully so, if the team won't compete in two years.

And no, there was a lot more negativity around the Eriksson signing at the time. Myers is paid proportionally less then Eriksson, and fills a need (even as a second pairing D). The only thing I remember being said frequently about Eriksson was that it was in line with other (now awful) signings.

Benning getting resigned is a gross disservice to fans, the city and the team, but are we really saying we'd rather have given up assets for another player instead of signing one for no assets but cap space? Do we hate draft picks as much as Benning "Classic" now?

Would I have wanted to give up assets... well no not with where I think this team is.

HOWEVER....

If we are looking to win, I would have rather given up some assets for Suban, who I think is a better player, and signed a forward in FA. Then doing what we ended up doing. Hell I think there was a lot of better options than what we did.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

"If you know a player will be overvalued in ufa,"...lol..no ****....you're a genius.

There is no rule forcing a GM to sign players during the UFA period. If you're a middling bottom feeder then you don't sign dmen already on the decline to long term high aav contracts. This simple fact may be hard to comprehend for you, try to think back to the eriksson signing.

I'm sure you said the exact same drivel about how you would like to see him play with the canucks first before coming up with rash negative statements. We all know how that turned out.

Reactions: geebaan

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
There is no rule forcing a GM to sign players during the UFA period. If you're a middling bottom feeder then you don't sign dmen already on the decline to long term high aav contracts. This simple fact may be hard to comprehend for you, try to think back to the eriksson signing.

I'm sure you said the exact same drivel about how you would like to see him play with the canucks first before coming up with rash negative statements. We all know how that turned out.

Guys we can’t know if Sbisa, Guds, or Eriksson are any good yet.

Reactions: Hit the post

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Realistically though,..His previous contract with the Jets was for $5.5M per..(so he got a $500K raise)..Is he going to go to UFA and take a pay cut?

Players take less all the time when they're older, worse players than when they signed their last contract.

The notion that we should have been throwing money at him so he didn't feel bad about taking a pay cut is ... bizarre?

It's pretty clear you just default to wearing rose-coloured glasses in Lollypop Land whenever evaluating a new move Benning has made.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Would I have wanted to give up assets... well no not with where I think this team is.

HOWEVER....

If we are looking to win, I would have rather given up some assets for Suban, who I think is a better player, and signed a forward in FA. Then doing what we ended up doing. Hell I think there was a lot of better options than what we did.

I don't disagree with the third option...but who would have a better impact on our team that was available. Panarin aside, Thornton? An RFA? Dzingel? Duchene? Not to be overly defensive, but i don't know who we could/would have signed that would be objectively better.

Miller, Ferland and Myers versus Subban and a 5.25 million dollar forward. Maybe 7.25 if we drop Benn too. We get back our first and third round picks too.

Plus we'd have likely had to surrender comparable value to what New Jersey did...two top four D prospects and a second. So I'd feel our first and Woo would be the ask. There were some rumours swirling that our side had questions about PKs attitude not meshing with our leadership too. Barrie would have cost us what Toronto paid too, rumour was something involving our 10th overall pick this year though, my inference is of Pod wasn't on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad