Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Its amazing you had 7 likes for this inaccurate take.

Eriksson:
i was happy that the Sedins got a winger to play with....never liked the contract....could never have dreamed he would be as awful as he has been....was a very good player at one point in this league. Any support i had was with the realization that our GM and ownership were going in a different direction than i wanted. So its something i would not have been doing.
"yess now avoid Brouwer and sign Hamhuis and Connolly"....... was my 1st take

Gagner:
i really didnt care too much about...wanted 1 less year if you can find a quote where i cared beyond...depth can play the pp and create competition for the kids whatever go ahead fill your boots.

Jay Beagle : Sting101
"Beagle is fine for a couple years. And 3 is what i expect given the state of this team and what Jay can command

Sets the tone all over the place. Good guy, great soldier, gym rat who shows that you can still improve late into your 20's and early 30's. He will be a good mentor and can play RW as well as C if Gaudette pushes in.

Obviously 2 yrs would be ideal but when you're a bottom feeder your at the agents mercy. i'm fully confident he is more useful than trash can Gagner who is absolute garbage for another 2yrs and basically looks like he's trying to avoid getting hit by a bus half the time. i do like that between him and Sutter they can eat the bulk of the defensive duties so Pettersson can get the Sedin treatment.

I also believe this means Gaudette will start in Utica barring injuries. Not all that terrible as so did Jake Guentzel for 30+ games before he went to the Pens and it's entirely likely someone will be injured before the season starts anyway."

My 1st response to Gudbranson deal (post 982 on the deal)
"This trade is garbage IMO.

The Panthers are laughing all the way to the bank. With Petrovic and Matheson they wont miss him at all. Except in the odd scrum.

Reasons
1. Bad timing. With free agency and teams needing to clear roster cap space its entirely likely a bargain could have come available before the end of summer. Eg Ehrhoff Franson Garrison.

2. Cost. Overpayment IMO. You know its bad when the GM is quoted admitting it before the ink is dry. McCann is going to be a fast 2 way 30 goal scorer with great compete and the 2nd rounder is 3 picks higher than the player that just made Gudbranson expendable in Alex Petrovic. Considering where this team is at its just mind numbing.

3 Failure to assess biggest organizational needs. Instead of showing patience with our talented youth. Just like the Shinkaruk trade we decide to patchwork renovate a 28th place team. Its beyond delusional. A 29th place offense about to lose a season removed 30 goal scorer in Vrbata and now Shink and McCann? Plus Burr and Higgins on the outs. Who the hell is going to score goals?

4. Player valuation. Just surrendered 3.5-5 million in cap space to a offensive black hole that was 136th in the league in takeaways. I like Gudbranson were supremely lacking in size and snarl that can play 20 minutes a night making players pay a price and hes a righty but we just payed with 2 excellent youngsters 1 a surefire NHLer that can snipe so that we have 3.5 million less to spend this offseason. Its beyond stupid to think that 2 expansion drafts plus a couple more UFA offseasons wouldnt produce some excellent alternatives for next to nothing. Gudbranson is a 3rd overall.....who cares? Rathje Barker Schenn Bogosian Reinhart just off top of my head come to mind. And isnt local guy Karl Alzner a UFA next summer? So while smart teams free up cap space and load up on draft picks we become buyers for the Sedins and Millers reno.....WTF!

5. What the hell happened to the self proclaimed direction of drafting and developing? Its sad...analysts are saying well its pretty obvious the Canucks are in rebuild mode now but our delusional GM thinks its time to tweak his lineup for contention.

We are going to regret this trade for years to come....just a terrible move IMO."

So feel free to apologize.

Gagner

Confirmed with Link: - Canucks sign F Sam Gagner to 3-Year Deal ($3.15M AAV)

Very good signings by the team today.

Gagner has some versatility, can play centre and wing and is really good on the PP. Still has young legs and if Henrik decides to retire can move into the middle next season.

Burmistrov is a big upgrade on Chaput and Gaunce as a 4C and can even move into the top3 lines if need be and still produce a bit.

MDZ is a Chris Higgins of the defense type reclamation project. Has the modern requisite skills to be an effective player for us as long as the party boy reputation is a thing of the past. Really helps solidify the left side of our defense and creates some good competition for Juolevi to have to overcome if he's gonna play which is a blessing. With the right focus he could be a really nice pick up.

Eriksson I can't find a direct take in the signing thread but here you are pushing for his signing and then listing him as a reason for optimism :

Roster & Fantasy GM Thread X

Canucks Management Discussion | Part 23

Ideally we land 1 of Eriksson or Okposo for the top6.

Top6- Eriksson is a huge upgrade on an unwilling combatant in Vrbata. Should on paper give us a dozen more goals and be a 2way competitor not a -30 malcontent. Horvat imo has to be viewed as a legitimate 2 way scorer who unlike last year will be able to hold his own defensively and produce 45-50pts. Baertchi without a doubt becomes a productive offensive player. He was our most dangerous player throughout the latter parts of the season.

Beagle you already gave your positive quote.

Gudbranson I missed that post so I apologize. You had a bunch of posts around that time talking about how excited you were for Gudbranson's physical play. But it still holds that you're generally super-positive about offseason acquisitions and then super-wrong about how things will turn out.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
This Biega over Myers talk is absurd. Myers is a perennial 30 - 40 point d-man with a few defensive warts. Biega is the definition of a journeyman who, other than last season, has failed to show he can produce any offence at the NHL level. This is where advanced stats fail so miserably if solely relied upon to make every decision.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gagner

Confirmed with Link: - Canucks sign F Sam Gagner to 3-Year Deal ($3.15M AAV)

Eriksson I can't find a direct take in the signing thread but here you are pushing for his signing and then listing him as a reason for optimism :

Roster & Fantasy GM Thread X

Canucks Management Discussion | Part 23

Beagle you already gave your positive quote.

Gudbranson I missed that post so I apologize. You had a bunch of posts around that time talking about how excited you were for Gudbranson's physical play. But it still holds that you're generally super-positive about offseason acquisitions and then super-wrong about how things will turn out.
Ill take it....the Eriksson one i added in my post and Gagners was referring to all the moves.

Ill also apologize for being a dick but i get pissed at all the negativity and was in a bad mood. I dont like that you keep taking runs at our players and even wanted Horvat gone for Slavin and Boeser for a Ryan Murray type healthy. still no need to go after you.

Cant change the GM and i dont find the point in beating my head against a wall regarding the logic of our moves with the heads running this team. Safe to say i would have went a completely different direction in 2014 but here we are. It's also ironic that some of these people that go after me wanted Benning in 2014 when i was a stauch anti Benning guy.

:dunno:

As far as being super wrong.... thats your opinion. Nobody here is impervious to that and hockey is fluid. Feelings are mutual sometimes

Back to the topic at hand.... i think our D is improved and Miller is a good get despite the hand wringing over how we went about it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Fun facts...

There were 25 D-men who averaged over 20 minutes in ice time last year and signed their contracts as UFAs. Their average cap hit last year under those 25 contracts was $5.7M. The average length was 5.8 years. The average age at signing was 29.2. All but 3 had NTC/NMC. These players represent about 26% of the 95 D-men that averaged over 20 minutes per game.

And these data are from before the market adjusted upward.

The Myers contract isn't out of line. One can argue whether the decision to sign a UFA was the right one or debate the circumstances that led to the need to sign one, but it is difficult to argue that the contract itself, for a 29 year old, 20+ minute, UFA D-man is a bad one (IMHO).

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
He also played with the worst groupings of forwards.

His QOT was amongst the top30 worst of all top6 defenseman last year

I mean, I think he will continue to play with shit forwards.

Poking around that more, it does seem like Dmitry Kulikov's impact on Tyler Myers shot metrics is roughly analogous to Erik Gudbranson's impact on Hutton's.

Reactions: sting101

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
This Biega over Myers talk is absurd. Myers is a perennial 30 - 40 point d-man with a few defensive warts. Biega is the definition of a journeyman who, other than last season, has failed to show he can produce any offence at the NHL level. This is where advanced stats fail so miserably if solely relied upon to make every decision.

I don't even get how this is a thing. I was so surprised to see this stance from people on here. Ridiculous.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I’m genuinely very curious now to see Myers play for us. It seems like he is very very bad in his own end (could be bitter leafs and jets fans though).

My barometer will be Gudbranson. A very very low bar I know, but I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment :popcorn:

Reactions: mossey3535

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I can’t believe some of you are complaining of this move.

We finally got a top 4 D-Men that adds size and stability to the back end.

We haven’t had one of these since Dan Hamhuis walked.

Reactions: Bougieman

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I’m genuinely very curious now to see Myers play for us. It seems like he is very very bad in his own end (could be bitter leafs and jets fans though).

My barometer will be Gudbranson. A very very low bar I know, but I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment :popcorn:

That's like setting the bar for good vision as seeing better than Stevie Wonder.

Reactions: Grantham

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
If you think Hamhuis and Myers are comparable, then I’m not surprised you can’t believe it.

I'm not comparing him to Dan Hamhuis..

I'm just saying: After Dan Hamhuis walked... these are the defenders that came in:

Philip Larsen
Luca Sbisa
Del Zotto
Gudbradsson
Poulliot
Alex Biega
Matt Bartkowski
Huttons
Yannick Webers...

I'm just saying that Tyler Myers is the best D-men we've had come in since Dan Hamhuis walked. None of these people in the list are Top 4 D, Myers is.

6 Million is no biggie, just get rid of Tyler Motte and you save a million. I'm just sick of watching marginal D-men play in our line-up, we finally get someone who IMO is closer to the Tanev & Edler tier to stabilize our back end. So yes I can't believe people are complaining after all the garbage we've had.

As much as I hate Benning, I approve of this signing.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
just get rid of Tyler Motte and you save a million.

That's not really how that works though. If you assume Motte is on the 23-man roster, and then get rid of him, you have to replace him with someone costing at bare minimum $700k (net savings of $275k in this case).

You can only really save money by replacing players on the 23-man roster with significantly cheaper players (i.e. replacing guys like Sutter/Eriksson/Beagle with $1-1.5MM players).

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Does it improve the team today? Yes.

Will we regret it in a couple of years? Yes.

Pretty much sums it up.

Our defence right now, on paper...looks better than it has in quite a while.

Edler-Tanev
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Stecher

That actually looks like a potentially serviceable NHL Top-6. If Hughes plays well, we've finally got 4 and a half serviceable "Top-4D". But injuries will change that soon enough.

And it won't be long before Myers contract becomes at the very least, an unpleasant blight on our cap situation. He's basically a serviceable Top-4D at this point, and it's generally all downhill from here on the careers of players like him. I've never been a real fan. If he weren't a towering giraffe man, he'd have garnered far less hype and attention over the years. I really don't like the approach...but if you've got a blueline in dire need of help and you wanted to give it a shot in the arm this summer in free agency...i guess Myers was the guy to get.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Im not saying I like the Tyler Myers contract because I actually hate it. Having said that, I believe theres a legitimate chance there is another team that would have signed him to this contract. Which is much more than I usually expect of our management group, especially when they get a hard on for a player. Won the inevitable loss I guess.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I see a shutdown pairing of Edler and Myers

I think you might be making assumptions about Myers as a player just based on his physical attributes.

He is not good at defending zone entries or in his own zone.

He needs soft minutes to succeed.

Reactions: dwarf

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Tyler Myers was disgustingly misused in Buffalo, they tried deploying him as shutdown defender and he was utterly destroyed.

I fear that the Canucks will try and do the same with him, I fear they’re going to play him 25 minutes a night and try to make him something he isn’t.

I don't have any real faith in Travis Green, but there's an avenue here that makes enormous sense when it comes to putting together pairings. And frankly, it's one where you still can play Myers 25 minutes a night. Basically just have to reunite Edler-Tanev who are a proven top-end shutdown pairing, Benn-Stecher absorbs spillover...and you more or less play a Hughes-Myers pairing big minutes behind the Pettersson line and offensive zone starts like AV did to perfection with Ehrhoff back in the day.

Reactions: alternate

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I don't have any real faith in Travis Green, but there's an avenue here that makes enormous sense when it comes to putting together pairings. And frankly, it's one where you still can play Myers 25 minutes a night. Basically just have to reunite Edler-Tanev who are a proven top-end shutdown pairing, Benn-Stecher absorbs spillover...and you more or less play a Hughes-Myers pairing big minutes behind the Pettersson line and offensive zone starts like AV did to perfection with Ehrhoff back in the day.

I agree with sheltering a Myers/Hughes pairing and giving them mostly OZ shifts, but I don’t think Tanev can be relied upon for the sort of hard minutes he’d need to log with Edler. I think Stecher and Edler would make more sense and I think Stecher might be ready for that. And then pair Benn and Tanev to manage the load on Tanev and give our bottom six forwards a good pairing to play with because lord knows they’ll need it.

I’m hoping also that with carefully managed minutes, a relatively healthy campaign and a bit of luck they can get real value for Tanev at the deadline if the Canucks are out of it. But having said that, if we’re out of it, it probably means it’s all gone to hell and injuries have piled up. I think I’m better off resigning myself to the fact we probably won’t trade Tanev at the deadline or will get pretty underwhelming value given recent history.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I agree with sheltering a Myers/Hughes pairing and giving them mostly OZ shifts, but I don’t think Tanev can be relied upon for the sort of hard minutes he’d need to log with Edler. I think Stecher and Edler would make more sense and I think Stecher might be ready for that. And then pair Benn and Tanev to manage the load on Tanev and give our bottom six forwards a good pairing to play with because lord knows they’ll need it.

I’m hoping also that with carefully managed minutes, a relatively healthy campaign and a bit of luck they can get real value for Tanev at the deadline if the Canucks are out of it. But having said that, if we’re out of it, it probably means it’s all gone to hell and injuries have piled up. I think I’m better off resigning myself to the fact we probably won’t trade Tanev at the deadline or will get pretty underwhelming value given recent history.

I just don't really know that "babying" Tanev is actually going to keep him any healthier than otherwise. He's still going to find ways to get injured. But when he's healthy, you might as well use him to maximum effect. He's a massively better matchup defender than Stecher. And even when it comes to the idea of "pumping his value" at the deadline...teams are going to notice if you're trying to "hide" him anyway. If he makes it through to the deadline healthy playing top shutdown minutes...that is where you get your proverbial "King's ransom" for him. Teams will look at that and say, "screw it, he's been healthy all year let's do it!".

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Biega is the perfect 7th Dman.

Are people saying he is better than Myers based on some stats?

Also Myers has failed to hit 30 points in 6 of his 10 season in the league.

His underlying numbers have gone down as the league gets faster.

Still he is a regular NHL player, Biega is not.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Biega is the perfect 7th Dman.

Are people saying he is better than Myers based on some stats?

Also Myers has failed to hit 30 points in 6 of his 10 season in the league.

His underlying numbers have gone down as the league gets faster.

Still he is a regular NHL player, Biega is not.

He has 34 points per 82 games played over his career. If you want to knock him for injuries, that’s a different point to make IMO.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He has 34 points per 82 games played over his career. If you want to knock him for injuries, that’s a different point to make IMO.

I didnt do the math on per game basis... But to me this is a long ass stretch where he doesnt hit 30.

upload_2019-7-3_17-49-56.png

But again; I get what you are saying.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I just don't really know that "babying" Tanev is actually going to keep him any healthier than otherwise. He's still going to find ways to get injured. But when he's healthy, you might as well use him to maximum effect. He's a massively better matchup defender than Stecher. And even when it comes to the idea of "pumping his value" at the deadline...teams are going to notice if you're trying to "hide" him anyway. If he makes it through to the deadline healthy playing top shutdown minutes...that is where you get your proverbial "King's ransom" for him. Teams will look at that and say, "screw it, he's been healthy all year let's do it!".

I believe there is pretty strong evidence that tiredness increases chances of injuries, and to that end I think it would be beneficial to keep Tanev’s minutes down to 20 rather than 23 per night. It’s not going to stop a puck to the jaw or anything like that, but I think it would reduce the amount of hard minutes he spends battling on the boards and in front of the net with top six forwards that he would do a lot of on a mediocre team.

I agree he is still probably a better matchup defenceman than but I think Now is the time to see if Stetcher can handle that role. He’s been in the league for a few years now and is good at positioning, defending the blue line and transition, so given his muffin shot and pretty “meh” overall offensive game, I think it might be the role he is best suited if he can do it. Plus it gives some mobility and energy to that pairing.

Tanev would get a better haul if he played the prime shutdown matchup role and was healthy at the deadline, but given his history I think that’s highly unlikely and they might end up with nothing as a result. I’m fine with trying “manage the load” to keep him healthy even if that doesn’t achieve the highest possible return. As I said tho, getting anything for him at the deadline is probably just a pipe dream at this point anyway

I don’t think there is a definitive right or wrong here, just different way of approaching a problem.

Reactions: biturbo19

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I didnt do the math on per game basis... But to me this is a long ass stretch where he doesnt hit 30.

View attachment 242545

That's like the perfect chart. He hit 30 pts on strong Buffalo and Winnipeg teams that had 100 point seasons, was injured and/or scored way less on weak teams.

Luckily the Canucks are a 100 point team, and not a weak/oft-injured one. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not comparing him to Dan Hamhuis..

I'm just saying: After Dan Hamhuis walked... these are the defenders that came in:

Philip Larsen
Luca Sbisa
Del Zotto
Gudbradsson
Poulliot
Alex Biega
Matt Bartkowski
Huttons
Yannick Webers...

I'm just saying that Tyler Myers is the best D-men we've had come in since Dan Hamhuis walked. None of these people in the list are Top 4 D, Myers is.

6 Million is no biggie, just get rid of Tyler Motte and you save a million. I'm just sick of watching marginal D-men play in our line-up, we finally get someone who IMO is closer to the Tanev & Edler tier to stabilize our back end. So yes I can't believe people are complaining after all the garbage we've had.

As much as I hate Benning, I approve of this signing.

If Myers was the player you thought he was, I'd approve of the signing too.

Problem is that in my opinion he's closer to being a tall Michael Del Zotto - a player on your garbage list. A skill #5 defender who struggles defensively and struggles when moved into higher-leverage minutes.

I feel like people are going to have a huge wake-up call when they actually see this player skate on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad