Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
IF Aquilini is actually micro-managing, then this would explain why the Canuck front shop is so small..."we spend to the cap and we do not need more costs for extra hockey execs." It probably took a lot of lobbying for an analytics position to be approved. Recently, Scott Walker and 3 scouts left the organization. If they are not replaced, then it also implies that they are cutting costs there too.
Cost-saving probably has something to do with it but I think for the most part what we are witnessing is Mr Aquilini feeling confident in his own hockey management proficiency. As he masters the roles formerly occupied by Gilman, Henning, Linden etc he continues to expand his hockey department portfolio taking on the responsibilities of Walker and others. The expert opinion of his confidant Benning and certain key senior alumni that he feels comfortable with like Delorme and Smyl is all the hockey department that a polymath like Mr Aquilini requires.

God help us.

Reactions: joelCAMEL

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Right so basically in your opinion anything Benning does is horrible...

So because I disliked the Myers signing and Miller trades you come to that conclusion?

Benning is a terrible GM but I don't blindly hate him. Check my post history. Pettersson, Podkolzin, Hughes, Boeser picks I applauded as soon as they were made. Trading Bieksa and Burrows when he did I applauded.

Sadly there just haven't been that many good moves to cheer about. That's why we're in the mess we're in.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So because I disliked the Myers and Miller trades you come to that conclusion?

Benning is a terrible GM but I don't blindly hate him. Check my post history. Pettersson, Podkolzin, Hughes, Boeser picks I applauded as soon as they were made. Trading Bieksa and Burrows when he did I applauded.

Sadly there just haven't been that many good moves to cheer about. That's why we're in the mess we're in.
Getting a 2nd for Garrison was pretty solid (as he had a NTC and a bad groin). You can debate what he did with that asset acquired (or the cap space free'd up - eg., Pizza man!) but that's another issue.

Reactions: Bobby Digital

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Right so basically in your opinion anything Benning does is horrible...

This followed Bobby Digital criticizing two Benning moves, Myers and Miller. Those criticisms of two moves caused you to conclude that he thinks anything Benning does is horrible.

By that "reasoning" anyone who criticizes two Benning moves-say, the Eriksson signing and the trade for Gudbranson-thinks anything Benning does is horrible. Your reasoning makes no sense and pretty much destroys your credibility.

If you want to accuse him of thinking everything Benning does is horrible you need to look at a lot more than two moves, because your statement fails if there is even one Benning move that you can't show BD considered horrible.

Do you have anything showing he considered the Pettersson and Boeser picks or the Benn signing horrible?

I didn't think so.

Reactions: Bobby Digital

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Myers isnt being paid $11.5 M,and he's not even a first pairing defensemen...I wasn't saying that Myers was equal to EK, just stating that a lot of offensive D-men have defensive issues.

You dont like the contract....Which always begs the question..Who would you have signed /traded to improve the Canucks defence this season?
But 6 million is first pairing money, Myers is overpaid. Karlsson is one of the best players in the league. I would rather pay Karlsson 12 million than Myers 6. You pay for good players not for crap. This team is tight to the cap because they overpay for bad/mediocre players.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
But 6 million is first pairing money, Myers is overpaid. Karlsson is one of the best players in the league. I would rather pay Karlsson 12 million than Myers 6. You pay for good players not for crap. This team is tight to the cap because they overpay for bad/mediocre players.

Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>>>>>.UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster >>>>>>>>>>Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>>>UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster>>>>>>>>>>>Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>>>>UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster>>>>>>>>Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster>>>>>>Myers is overpaid...etc.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>>>>>.UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster >>>>>>>>>>Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>>>UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster>>>>>>>>>>>Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>>>>UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster>>>>>>>>Myers is overpaid>>>>>>>UFA players generally are overpaid, but you dont have to give up assets off of the roster>>>>>>Myers is overpaid...etc.

Dont sign him then.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dont sign him then.
Inactivity isn't the answer (unless you're expecting the same results), and neither are the players you listed a while back..Playing the left side, having no offensive ability, or being a marginal NHL player does not improve this defence (which is starved for offence).

Has Jim Benning improved the D over last season.?...yes....

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

You don't want to overpay for players but you also need players. That's the balance.

I would rather pay $12.5M for McDavid than whatever the Canucks will end up paying Boeser. But it isn't a choice is it?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Inactivity isn't the answer (unless you're expecting the same results), and neither are the players you listed a while back..Playing the left side, having no offensive ability, or being a marginal NHL player does not improve this defence (which is starved for offence).

Has Jim Benning improved the D over last season.?...yes....

What will it take for you to admit that the Myers signing was a mistake?

Im sure you are able to now admit that Loui Eriksson signing was a mistake and set us back long term, right?

edit. Activity for the sake of activity is not constructive.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
You don't want to overpay for players but you also need players. That's the balance.

I would rather pay $12.5M for McDavid than whatever the Canucks will end up paying Boeser. But it isn't a choice is it?
There was other options than signing Myers for 6 millions, Miller, Jokiharju, Subban, Barrie where moved. Both Buffalo and Columbus has more d-men than they need. There were better options. Signing Myers is bad. So was signing Eriksson. You need players but not mediocre ones paid like elite players. Is that so hard to understand?

Last season it was Beagle the elite 4th liner who you defended untill you were Blue in the face. How did that turn out again?

This is the same argument, it is not good to overpay for bad players. This is how you get in to cap problems. its better to do nothing than to do something stupid

PS.
And for the record I have no trouble with the additions of Ferland, Benn and Miller (though I wish the pick could have been a 2nd rounder instead). These 3 are good players that are paid at a good level.

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Myers has stepped up whenever there were injuries on the Jets. It's not a great deal (maybe 1-1.5M overpaid IMO) but i think you guys will appreciate having him once Tanev/Edler miss time with their annual injuries.

It's depth that gets teams to the playoffs most of the time.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Nonsense as always.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Nonsense as always.
Punching your self in the balls hurts>>>>>>>>>>>But you can punch your self for free and you cant just do nothing >>>>>>>>>>Punching your self in the balls hurts>>>>>>>>>>>But you can punch your self for free and you cant just do nothing >>>>>>>>>>Punching your self in the balls hurts>>>>>>>>>>>But you can punch your self for free and you cant just do nothing >>>>>>>>>>Punching your self in the balls hurts>>>>>>>>>>>But you can punch your self for free and you cant just ... etc.

Reactions: Peter10 and Peen

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There was other options than signing Myers for 6 millions, Miller, Jokiharju, Subban, Barrie where moved. Both Buffalo and Columbus has more d-men than they need. There were better options. Signing Myers is bad. So was signing Eriksson. You need players but not mediocre ones paid like elite players. Is that so hard to understand?

Yes there were other options available. Barrie was an option. Who do you suggest the Canucks part with to acquire him? The Subban option was reportedly explored but the Canucks chose to not do a deal where salary was not retained. As for Miller, he's a popular target but he didn't have a good year last season. Just comparing his underlying stats to Myers last season was Miller better? I don't think so. Ultimately, Miller was moved for a 2021 2nd and a 2022 5th. Isn't that weird? Did nobody offer a 2019 or even 2020 2nd for him? Perhaps Vegas wanted to trade him outside of the Conference? I don't think you can classify Jokiharju as a comparable option at this point.

Buffalo has more Dmen than they need? That's after they went out and acquired 2 Dmen no? Who do you suggest the Canucks go after? Ristolainen? I'm under the impression that they defense sucked last season. As for Columbus, I have no idea who you are looking at there. The Canucks have a surplus of forwards as well. Reportedly Eriksson, a two time 30 goal scorer and 3 time 70+ point producer, is available.

And for the record I have no trouble with the additions of Ferland, Benn and Miller (though I wish the pick could have been a 2nd rounder instead). These 3 are good players that are paid at a good level.

So is your argument to never over pay for a player or you only pay "good" players? There's a difference. I don't think Benn is in the same class as Karlsson.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yes there were other options available. Barrie was an option. Who do you suggest the Canucks part with to acquire him? The Subban option was reportedly explored but the Canucks chose to not do a deal where salary was not retained. As for Miller, he's a popular target but he didn't have a good year last season. Just comparing his underlying stats to Myers last season was Miller better? I don't think so. Ultimately, Miller was moved for a 2021 2nd and a 2022 5th. Isn't that weird? Did nobody offer a 2019 or even 2020 2nd for him? Perhaps Vegas wanted to trade him outside of the Conference? I don't think you can classify Jokiharju as a comparable option at this point.

Buffalo has more Dmen than they need? That's after they went out and acquired 2 Dmen no? Who do you suggest the Canucks go after? Ristolainen? I'm under the impression that they defense sucked last season. As for Columbus, I have no idea who you are looking at there. The Canucks have a surplus of forwards as well. Reportedly Eriksson, a two time 30 goal scorer and 3 time 70+ point producer, is available.

So is your argument to never over pay for a player or you only pay "good" players? There's a difference. I don't think Benn is in the same class as Karlsson.

Subban went for cheap.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Myers has stepped up whenever there were injuries on the Jets. It's not a great deal (maybe 1-1.5M overpaid IMO) but i think you guys will appreciate having him once Tanev/Edler miss time with their annual injuries.

He can more than pull his weight offensively but that's less of a concern with Hughes. It's our best defensive D that are injury prone. He's no better than Hutton in the defensive side of the game. Will get exposed when Edler and Tanev go down.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Subban went for cheap.

Subban would've been best case scenario. If only the Canucks took that Arizona trade to move down on day one of the draft. They could've made a decent offer out of 40th, 45th, Beiga and Rathbone while taking Caufield at 14. Although, the Canucks would probably have to sweeten that quite a bit to entice Nashville to keep PK in conference and not take the NJ package.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He can more than pull his weight offensively but that's less of a concern with Hughes. It's our best defensive D that are injury prone. He's no better than Hutton in the defensive side of the game. Will get exposed when Edler and Tanev go down.

Maybe, but still with better players you have a better chance to win if it comes to that. Doesn't matter if it's by scoring a ton or how you do it.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Subban would've been best case scenario. If only the Canucks took that Arizona trade to move down on day one of the draft. They could've made a decent offer out of 40th, 45th, Beiga and Rathbone while taking Caufield at 14. Although, the Canucks would probably have to sweeten that quite a bit to entice Nashville to keep PK in conference and not take the NJ package.

Best case scenario would have been someone like DeHaan, Ristolainen or Jokijarju. Someone who comes cheap and/or is young and will actually be with the team when the young core is entering its prime.

Giving up assets for a 30 year old Subban who is declining, has a high cap hit, and won't be here for the long haul just doesn't make sense for us.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Nonsense as always.
Its not nonsense at all...you (and Puckmunchkin) are both whining that Myers is overpaid (which has been conceded, that he is ..by maybe $1M),.... and barking out ridiculous comments like 'I would rather have Karlsson"..problem is,..in UFA..the player makes the choice of his destination(it takes two)..so thats a non starter off of the bat..

Or Barrie and Ristolainen..those acquisitions will hurt a lot more (goodbye Podkolzin) than than the extra $1M you're paying Myers

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

1. Ok, if I understand your point, when players are out of the lineup it is good to have other players.

Last season when Edler and Tanev were out it was good that there was somebody-in that case Ben Hutton-to step forward and play big minutes. That doesn't make that horrible contract that Hutton got at the end of his entry level contract a good one.

Now you're referring to "depth" that costs $6 million per season. In a world where cap space is a limited resource, spending that on depth would be a waste of a valuable resource that could have been used to get more and better depth.

A $ 6 million player needs to be more than depth to be a worthwhile investment. I say that not to claim that Myers is just depth (he's more than that) but to make the point that justifying his signing as increasing team depth is a fallacy.

2. Opinions on Myers' worth vary greatly.

Some say he's a defensive slug and worth little.

Some say he's an offensive juggernaut and # 1 defenceman.

I think he's good offensively, only fair defensively and that on balance his value is that of a 2nd pair guy. If he was being paid 2nd pair money for the next three seasons I wouldn't criticize the signing.

Myers is certainly a step up from some of the other defensive acquisitions the team has made through the years and imo there's nothing bad with having Myers on the team. He's likely to do some good things, be the hero occasionally, make mediocre defensive decisions that largely go unnoticed and function at a reasonable level. The issue isn't likely to be whether we got a slug but whether the Canucks have, again, handed out a contract for too long and too much money.

Paying him $6 million values him at the level of his offence contributions and pretty much ignores his mediocre defensive play.

As to term, paying him that for five seasons, until he reaches the age of 34, seems to me to make no allowance whatsoever for the possibility of age-related decline. Some of the decline in value will be offset by inflation, but it seems to me that there must still be some allowance for the risk of decline.

My estimate of the difference between his contract and the value he brings to the team would be higher than yours even without taking into account the risk of age-related decline before the end of the contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad