Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
From second highest, to fourth highest, to seventh highest and past prime years.

This acquisition is not aging well - and that's just in one day.

Reactions: xtr3m

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You can insert any roster player player on the Canucks along wit LE’s and the numbers look bad.

Heed looks like he bounces up and down from the AHL..He’s like an Alex Biega level.

Can you break down your analysis of what kind of a player Myers is today?

Im starting to think you are working with way different data on Myers than the rest of us, or you just dont know what he is.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Can you break down your analysis of what kind of a player Myers is today?

Im starting to think you are working with way different data on Myers than the rest of us, or you just dont know what he is.
Myers played over 20 mins every season in his career. He has a regular spot on the 2nd pp unit and pk. Has at least ppg average of 30 P per 82 game schedule in every season except one.

He was the second best UFA D-man this off season...getting him at $6M in FA was palatable....(most were expecting $7M+)

Check out posts #782 ,and #730.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Myers played over 20 mins every season in his career. He has a regular spot on the 2nd pp unit and pk. Has at least ppg average of 30 P per 82 game schedule in every season except one.

He was the second best UFA D-man this off season...getting him at $6M in FA was palatable....(most were expecting $7M+)

Check out posts #782 ,and #730.
This is BS, Myers is not a top 30 d-man, but is paid like one. Just because he was the second best UFA d-man doesn't make him worth 6 million. This is the same sort of reasoning that brought Eriksson here. If an UFA is not worth his money its a bad signing.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is BS, Myers is not a top 30 d-man, but is paid like one. Just because he was the second best UFA d-man doesn't make him worth 6 million. This is the same sort of reasoning that brought Eriksson here. If an UFA is not worth his money its a bad signing.
Not disagreeing with you that he isn't worth $6M....(and for the record, my vote was in the not great, not terrible),...but as a FA signing..$6M is a fair price for him.....You think its a terrible deal, and should have passed on signing him..fair enough...Who would you have signed, or traded for..for the backend (2nd pairing D).

Last edited:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Not disagreeing with you that he isn't worth $6M....(and for the record, my vote was in the not great, not terrible),...but as a FA signing..$6M is a fair price for him.....You think its a terrible deal, and should have passed on signing him..fair enough...Who would you have signed, or traded for..for the backend (2nd pairing D).
The Canucks already had 2 no 4 rights side d-men in Tanev and Stetcher. I don´t think overpaying for another was a smart strategy, especially since I don´t think this team is ready to compete. I would probably had looked for a trade for someone like Ristolainen who is great PP D-man and has a upside overall, or tried to get some assets for picking up a guy like Shattenkirk for NY. Both these guys are better offensively than Myers. There are other examples like Barrie, Subban, Miller.

My personal belief is that the Canucks don´t need more no 4 d-men, to me this team needs a true top pairing guy, hopefully Hughes can get there. The problem with paying Guys like Myers 6 million long term is that they take up salary space that could be used for better players.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

I liked your answers. Dont agree with the assessment tho.

I think his value is inflated and he is a mirage of a top4 Dman. With our team not ready to go for a cup run, having a declining asset on an overpaid contract that is "not terrible" today and only gets worse, is just the exact move a rebuilding team should avoid.

Lets say we succesfully complete our rebuild in the next 2-3 years, what good did this signing do for our cup hopes?

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Canucks already had 2 no 4 rights side d-men in Tanev and Stetcher. I don´t think overpaying for another was a smart strategy, especially since I don´t think this team is ready to compete. I would probably had looked for a trade for someone like Ristolainen who is great PP D-man and has a upside overall, or tried to get some assets for picking up a guy like Shattenkirk for NY. Both these guys are better offensively than Myers. There are other examples like Barrie, Subban, Miller.

My personal belief is that the Canucks don´t need more no 4 d-men, to me this team needs a true top pairing guy, hopefully Hughes can get there. The problem with paying Guys like Myers 6 million long term is that they take up salary space that could be used for better players.
I wasn't opposed to getting Ristolainen,but from what I gather..He's an elite player on the PP,and a 3rd pairing d-man in his own end (to be fair, Myers has his own defensive play issues as well)....Problem with Ristolainen,would be the price of his acquisition..It would have to be a young roster player, and most likely a very high pick...Some people think that Tanev could be a main piece going back,but I dont see it.

Then you get to Myers..obviously older..we didnt have to give up any assets for him (except overpay him a million $ a year)..He's not protected in the ED,and he can be traded in the last two years of his deal.

What was the price for Barrie?...our 2019 10th OA..?.Barrie has expressed a desire to play in BC...That depends on how Hughes plays, and what the salary cap can allow

I think that Myers contract will be perceived better if the entire Canuck D group kicks it up a notch ...Gudbranson,Del Zotto,Hutton,Pouliot were the starters last year...Hughes,Myers,Benn this season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wasn't opposed to getting Ristolainen,but from what I gather..He's an elite player on the PP,and a 3rd pairing d-man in his own end (to be fair, Myers has his own defensive play issues as well)....Problem with Ristolainen,would be the price of his acquisition..It would have to be a young roster player, and most likely a very high pick...Some people think that Tanev could be a main piece going back,but I dont see it.

Then you get to Myers..obviously older..we didnt have to give up any assets for him (except overpay him a million $ a year)..He's not protected in the ED,and he can be traded in the last two years of his deal.

What was the price for Barrie?...our 2019 10th OA..?.Barrie has expressed a desire to play in BC...That depends on how Hughes plays, and what the salary cap can allow

I think that Myers contract will be perceived better if the entire Canuck D group kicks it up a notch ...Gudbranson,Del Zotto,Hutton,Pouliot were the starters last year...Hughes,Myers,Benn this season.

Ristolainen will only be 25 this season and he has put up 4 straight 40+ point seasons. He's also a right-shot right-side D. I was interested in him in a Gudbranson swap. Now? Not really. If he's not going to be on the 1st unit PP, what's his value? His underlying stats are scary. If you didn't like Myers from an analtyics standpoint, Ristolainen is far worse and it's not just defending. Myers is actually good with the puck on his stick and can help the team with zone exits. Ristolainen cannot.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Subban at $9M x 3 years...That would make our cap interesting wouldnt it..?..(especially in 2 years time when its payday for EP and QH)..His play last season wasn't exactly stellar....It would also mean no Micheal Ferland.(who is on a fair deal)...

Jokiharju..?...Chicago easily got the best player in that deal..If Nylander can regain his swagger, its a massive win for them...What does Jokiharju top out as ?..a good 3rd pairing D-man.

Tim Heed..depth defence man..borderline NHL/AHL player

De Haan has limited offensive skill, not what we need at all.

Jake Gardiner..plays the left side..How much $ does he want ?...would he even play in Vancouver..?

Ben Hutton... inconsistent bottom pairing d-man with limited offensive skills who will most likely take a haircut on his next payday..Canucks were 100% correct in letting him walk.

I bet Myers exceeds his last years total..He's going to be given every opportunity here...

The haters are just choked because if JB hadn't have signed a top free agent d man then they could all have whined about how he hasn't addressed our problems at defense. Also, as you have alluded with Gardiner, not everybody wants to play in FAQ's sandbox...

Reactions: Cogburn

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
The haters are just choked because if JB hadn't have signed a top free agent d man then they could all have whined about how he hasn't addressed our problems at defense. Also, as you have alluded with Gardiner, not everybody wants to play in FAQ's sandbox...
Exactly, they’re in a no win situation. The incessant negative hyperbole is unbelievable. Anything even slightly positive gets jumped on led by the usual mob leaders.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
It’s gonna be interesting to see with Myers. In his announcement presser, he said he’s excited to show more with more opportunity. From Myers perspective at least, he sees himself having more success with more opportunity. We’ll know very quickly if he’s going to thrive or dive.

I don’t love this deal but I don’t hate it. A lot of how I judge the deal will be based on Myers performance, hard to believe this contract will look good in years five and six. Maybe even year four. If this contract looks bad from day one and we have another Louis on our hands wearing a different number and playing a different position, that’s terrible.

I think the JT Miller trade was much higher risk and a much worse deal given we gave up a first.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Exactly, they’re in a no win situation. The incessant negative hyperbole is unbelievable. Anything even slightly positive gets jumped on led by the usual mob leaders.
Not true. But that is the whole point for you I guess.

It actually is true. I have been jumped by the vigilantes by calling them on their exaggerations and claims. It does not bother me because I have thick skin and their barks are worse than their bites.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
"Jumped by vigilantes"? Dramatic much?

vigilante
a member of a self-appointed group of fans who wish they could manage their hockey team, typically because the team management is thought to be inadequate.

I think the description is appropriate. Since it is Friday night here, I expect the rest of the mob to show up soon.

Reactions: Nomobo

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s gonna be interesting to see with Myers. In his announcement presser, he said he’s excited to show more with more opportunity. From Myers perspective at least, he sees himself having more success with more opportunity. We’ll know very quickly if he’s going to thrive or dive.

I don’t love this deal but I don’t hate it. A lot of how I judge the deal will be based on Myers performance, hard to believe this contract will look good in years five and six. Maybe even year four. If this contract looks bad from day one and we have another Louis on our hands wearing a different number and playing a different position, that’s terrible.

I think the JT Miller trade was much higher risk and a much worse deal given we gave up a first.

I agree that it's hard to believe Myers' contract will look good in year six. :sarcasm:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
vigilante
a member of a self-appointed group of fans who wish they could manage their hockey team, typically because the team management is thought to be inadequate.

I think the description is appropriate. Since it is Friday night here, I expect the rest of the mob to show up soon.

I don’t think that is what vigilante means.

Askel

Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
This coming from you the guy that were confident that Canucks would make the playoffs is 2017.

You havent been right about anything regarding this team for years.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It actually is true. I have been jumped by the vigilantes by calling them on their exaggerations and claims. It does not bother me because I have thick skin and their barks are worse than their bites.

The forum decides what it is. That means posters on both sides, including you.

As to the signing: Myers is overpaid. That much is clear. Did Benning need to do something? Probably, but he put himself in the situation to have to do something. These things don't just happen. This is years of failed attempts and poor planning coming home to roost. So people can stop it with the supposition. It was a no win situation because that's what Benning created for himself.

Open invitation: If any of the pro-Benning crowd that have made comments here really want to get into what he could have done with the defense throughout his 6 offseasons, I'm game to have that discussion. Let me know.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Great post ML, I remember hearing this song when I was younger and I think I recognize some of the posters from here in that clip.
Hahaha yeah, I thought I recognized a few of them too obviously. I was pretty young when Rumble was on the charts myself. ;)

That cop kind of reminded me of a youngish Sterling Hayden...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Fact is, *ALL* UFAs tend to be overpaid. That’s whether you think said player is good or bad. Not sure why that’s even debatable but that’s just my opinion. Myers didn’t cost us any assets. So I’ll take that as a plus.

Reactions: Zippgunn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad