Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks wanted physical defenceman for the right side to pair with the three puck moving defenceman on the left side.

Schmidt isn't that, he's the defenceman version of a middle six forward. He can make a good pass, put up 20-30 points, and make smart decisions but that's as far as it goes. He doesn't carry the puck well, he doesn't hit, he doesn't block shots often, and he doesn't play a gritty game.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I would challenge haters of this deal to name similar depth defensemen that we should have signed this free agency, and let's compare the contracts.

I would have preferred just not signing it at all. Hamonic is an overpay, but whatever it's two years. Hunt and Keeper are fine as your #7s, I think. Keeper has some upside left in him. Schenn is fine at his cost.

There was no need for Poolman at all. He doesn't provide any skills that you couldn't duplicate from any of the other guys we had already signed. You're not getting offense out of him, and he's average (at absolute best) defensively.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I must be crazy because I actually like this deal. Yes, it's a year too long, but that's what it probably took to get it done. I like the player a lot and the AVV is completely worthy of his abilities. He'll slot in nicely as a 3rd, 4th on the 2nd pairing. I'm happier with this over Edler coming back.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Face value on paper I don't like the deal, 1.75-2M at 2 years I could have lived with.

But who knows maybe him and OEL get paired together and become something special.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Face value on paper I don't like the deal, 1.75-2M at 2 years I could have lived with.

But who knows maybe him and OEL get paired together and become something special.

Two guys who got absolutely caved with playing top-four minutes last season. Put 'em together.

Yep. It'll be something special alright.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Here’s my attempt at a positive spin on this signing… from nucks misconduct:

“Poolman’s regular partner last year at even-strength was also Morrissey. There’s a case to be made that Morrissey is one of the most overrated defenders in hockey. The pair had a 46.8% Corsi together last year. Poolman’s Corsi jumped to 48.9% without Morrissey, but Morrissey’s Corsi dropped to 42.8% without Poolman.”

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Canucks wanted physical defenceman for the right side to pair with the three puck moving defenceman on the left side.

Schmidt isn't that, he's the defenceman version of a middle six forward. He can make a good pass, put up 20-30 points, and make smart decisions but that's as far as it goes. He doesn't carry the puck well, he doesn't hit, he doesn't block shots often, and he doesn't play a gritty game.
July 28, 2021.

Hm, weird.

I'm still shocked from this deal, this is a deal that happens like once every 10 years. You don't get a top pairing defenceman from a Stanley Cup contending team for nothing.
October 12, 2020.

They're equal on defence, Schmidt is a better skater but Pietroanglo is much better on offence. It's going to be interesting to watch them next season, I think Schmidt is going to hit 40-50 points.
October 13, 2020.

Tanev isn't the type of defenceman Canucks need either.

Schmidt does everything Tanev does but better. Canucks need a Joel Edmunson, Cernak, Cole, Savard type of defenceman.

in free agency, you have: Oleksiak, Savard, Cole, Ceci, Nemeth

Jani Hakanpaa would be an interesting signing for the third pairing as well, one of the most physical defenceman this past season.
June 25, 2021.

. . .Hughes, Schmidt, and Rathbone are good pieces to build around.
July 4, 2021.

The great thing about Edler leaving is Schmidt will get more ES minutes and Rathbone will be relied on for the 2nd unit PP.
July 16, 2021.

The last three are from like the past month. Wondering what changed your opinion?

Last edited:

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Dont mind the deal. 1 year too long but whatever. Del Zotto got 2 million lmao.

Easily trade able if needed. Same goes with Hamonic.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Oh no, my opinion changed :shockedpikachuface:

I don't really care.

I'm just curious, is all.

Obviously you've been spending a lot of time the past ten days or so reviewing Schmidt's game, so I'm wondering what you saw in his game that made you change your opinion of it so drastically and so suddenly? Any chance you have any notes as to which games or plays within those games we should check out that caused you to so massively downgrade your opinion of his play?

Since they haven't played any games in that period, you obviously weren't basing this on live viewings, so I'd imagine you have links to the footage pretty handy if you've been studying it so intently.

I'm just hoping to improve my grasp of the game, and I figured that this might help since these must be some seriously subtle nuances that you're picking up if you didn't notice them after watching him all season, and only came to this re-evaluation in the past few days.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Here’s my attempt at a positive spin on this signing… from nucks misconduct:

“Poolman’s regular partner last year at even-strength was also Morrissey. There’s a case to be made that Morrissey is one of the most overrated defenders in hockey. The pair had a 46.8% Corsi together last year. Poolman’s Corsi jumped to 48.9% without Morrissey, but Morrissey’s Corsi dropped to 42.8% without Poolman.”
Corsi is so 2016

Reactions: Love

Nov 1, 2011
Yeah -- they are generally terrible value. You will probably need to make some UFA signings at some point, though.

I think there were 3 or 4 good ones today (Haula, Suter, Gaudreau, Savard.. and Halak was a fine signing) and there will likely be a few more good signings coming up too (always better value after the first day)

I think that is the key, wait until after the first few days until the leverage shifts before putting out any offers.

Reactions: ugghhh

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I must be crazy because I actually like this deal. Yes, it's a year too long, but that's what it probably took to get it done. I like the player a lot and the AVV is completely worthy of his abilities. He'll slot in nicely as a 3rd, 4th on the 2nd pairing. I'm happier with this over Edler coming back.

People who have seen him the play the most (Jets fans) don‘t have many positive things to say about him. I am curious what you see in him.

Reactions: ugghhh

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
My guess is being a fan of a team and wanting to look at the bright side so he can enjoy that part of his life more.

It's a tough gig to be a fan. You can choose to be miserable, hate watch a team, and threaten to leave (but never leaving) or just enjoy sports as what it is, entertainment.

The day I care about a bunch of miserable anons on a message board that want to be right more than seeing the team succeed is the day I failed life.

Last edited:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I would have preferred just not signing it at all. Hamonic is an overpay, but whatever it's two years. Hunt and Keeper are fine as your #7s, I think. Keeper has some upside left in him. Schenn is fine at his cost.

There was no need for Poolman at all. He doesn't provide any skills that you couldn't duplicate from any of the other guys we had already signed. You're not getting offense out of him, and he's average (at absolute best) defensively.

Agreed.

This was Benning's annual horrifc UFA signing. Over pay on money, even worse on term. Bottom 6 at best.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
People who have seen him the play the most (Jets fans) don‘t have many positive things to say about him. I am curious what you see in him.

You must not be looking very hard or have your own agenda because I've seen and read mostly positive comments from Jets fans in regards to his play. Believe what you want. Opinions always vary.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Didn’t pay enough attention last year to really know. Is there potential he could cover on the 2nd pair if there’s injuries? Maybe form a pair with OEL instead of Myers?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Jets fan, don’t hate on Tucker for a contract he didn’t offer himself.

He is a solid 5/6, can move up and cover for short periods, kill penalties, plays a blue collar game works his ass off and will put his body on the line blocking shots and digging pucks out corners.

He can surprise every now and then with a good shot he manages to get on net somewhat consistently. The odd time he surprises with skating pucks out in tight situations and creating a rush.

Solid person as well and by all accounts a very liked teammate.

Just a silly overpayment but it wouldn’t shock me if he was being offered something similar by another team that Vancouver had to outbid, based off today’s insanity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad