Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
When I heard about Tucker Poolman somehow getting 2.5 x4 from my co-workers in Winnipeg, we were all like Lmao how the f*** did Tucker Poolman get 2.5 x4.

Then when they said it was Vancouver who signed him, I legitimately just wanted to walk out of my house all the way to the bottom of the Red River.
Do not know much about Poolman but there was absolutely NO need to give an "average" (perhaps less than average) player like him, a 4 year contract! Look at all the other 1 and 2 year contracts Jim somehow managed to sign, and then he goes and blows it by doing this! Frustrating!! We are likely to be complaining about this for the entire 4 years, while he collects his 10 million!

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oh no, my opinion changed :shockedpikachuface:

I don't really care.

If Jim Benning got wasted and crashed his car into a group of pedestrians you’d have an ‘opinion change’ the next day that drunk driving and vehicular homicide should be totally legal and that the assholes standing on the sidewalk in Jim’s way should be thrown in jail.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

"I don't know what the competition for him was, but his agent said there were 12 teams in on him so I better pay up. There's no reason for him to say something crazy just to raise his client's value at all."

What a spectacularly stupid quote from a spectacularly stupid man.

More proof he just doesn’t understand hockey and understand defenders and what makes them successful. Literally any bottom-pairing scrub who plays a conservative style is ‘like Tanev’.

Also, if 12 teams are in on a fungible depth defender, *you walk the f*** away*. This is not rocket science.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
What a spectacularly stupid quote from a spectacularly stupid man.

More proof he just doesn’t understand hockey and understand defenders and what makes them successful. Literally any bottom-pairing scrub who plays a conservative style is ‘like Tanev’.

Also, if 12 teams are in on a fungible depth defender, *you walk the f*** away*. This is not rocket science.

His presser today had a bunch of gems.

He straight up got flustered when asked about Schmidt and told (I think it was) iMac that he didn't understand the question before waffling on and saying that while they didn't speak to Schmidt about a trade, they were in contact with his agent at least 3-4 times a day and that it's the agent's responsibility to communicate these things to his client.

Or that it's okay to be eating Holtby's buyout/Halak's bonuses because Luongo's cap hit will be off the books.

Reactions: geebaan and ugghhh

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Look, I’m not even going to get into the opportunity cost of trading futures and sacrificing future cap space.

I have a very simple question that focuses only on the short term:

Considering we have replaced our matchup pairing of Edler and Schmidt with OEL and Poolman, can anyone explain how that is an improvement without just referring to their size?

The replacements objectively played smaller roles and provided worse results last season.

I just don’t even get the short term benefit.

Seems like we are banking on:

A. coaching improvement
B. Systems improvement
C. Every single blueliner to improve from what they showed last year

How is that even reasonable? This seems like the Holtby situation except applied to six f***ing defenders.

Some will improve, some will stagnate, some will decline in all likelihood.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
X-All-The-Y.jpg

Get ALL the bottom pairing dmen!!

Reactions: Grub

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He was averaging around 18-19 mins a game in the regular season, and over 20 mins in the playoffs..If he was a #6-7 D man on the Jets, he must have been heavily miscast.

Reactions: Canucks LB

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Anyway, I'm pumped as hell for this season and curious about Poolman. All we need from him is to be a dependable utility D. If a lot isn't asked from him but just that, I think he'll fit in well and we might even be thankful he's inked for 4 years.

I'm way more optimistic about this scenario than a Tyson Barrie splash, that's for sure.
I

Last edited by a moderator:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He was averaging around 18-19 mins a game in the regular season, and over 20 mins in the playoffs..If he was a #6-7 D man on the Jets, he must have been heavily miscast.
Would you confidently say that this defensive group is better than last season’s?

If so, what makes you confident that Poolman is an upgrade on Schmidt and OEL an upgrade on Edler? Or is it a hope wait and see thing?

I keep asking but no one has explained how this pair will prevent more offense than Schmidt/Edler and how Hamonic/Hughes are going to improve and how Myers is going to be better other than just hope.

It’s not reasonable to expect everyone to improve. Some improve, some decline, some stagnate.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Look, I’m not even going to get into the opportunity cost of trading futures and sacrificing future cap space.

I have a very simple question that focuses only on the short term:

Considering we have replaced our matchup pairing of Edler and Schmidt with OEL and Poolman, can anyone explain how that is an improvement without just referring to their size?

The replacements objectively played smaller roles and provided worse results last season.

I just don’t even get the short term benefit.

Seems like we are banking on:

A. coaching improvement
B. Systems improvement
C. Every single blueliner to improve from what they showed last year

How is that even reasonable? This seems like the Holtby situation except applied to six f***ing defenders.

Some will improve, some will stagnate, some will decline in all likelihood.

The team went on strike last season.

Certain players started f***ing the dog in game 1 and their lack of work ethic carried on throughout the season.

And then other players new to the team see this happen and are like.. wtf is this shit?? I didn't sign up for this bullshit.

My point being is last season was a complete write off. The team still knows how to play great hockey and absolutely chose not to and the resulting product was absolute shite.

So this... above all else.... was the contributing factor to our craptacular 20-21 season.

This season... they have done a complete and magical reset.

They got rid of trash and they fixed the salary cap structure.

The players that should be making the most are now making the most.

This is a massive deal from the players perspective dontcha know.

Do you think Bo LIKED that Loui was making more money doing way way less?

The Canucks are suddenly acting like a real NHL team again.

lol

Reactions: Peen and DRich82

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every time Jimbo signs another player to a four-year term, it usually ends up being a disappointment in the end.

But looking at the Poolman signing objectively, at least it's only $2.5m a season; he's still only 28 and a right shot d-man. And I think Benning has learned his lesson by declining to offer NTC's in the contracts he's signing.

If Poolman doesn't work out, there's still the opportunity of trading him down the road. Right shot d-men are always in demand.

But what's truly cringe-worthy is Benning saying that Poolman "has some of the same attributes as Chris Tanev". Didn't he say the same thing about Jalen Chatfield last summer? Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I think the longer term is a bet that this guy is going to be worth a lot more in a couple of years. A late bloomer who could still be trending up, similar to Garland.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Well this guy cant be that great either....

did you just compare poolman. To Seth Jones????

I get your trying to say advance stats are not good but poolman doesn’t even pass the eye test so other than blind hope which I bet you used to say holtby would be good are you basing your opinion on poolman being good?

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Every time Jimbo signs another player to a four-year term, it usually ends up being a disappointment in the end.

But looking at the Poolman signing objectively, at least it's only $2.5m a season; he's still only 28 and a right shot d-man. And I think Benning has learned his lesson by declining to offer NTC's in the contracts he's signing.

If Poolman doesn't work out, there's still the opportunity of trading him down the road. Right shot d-men are always in demand.

But what's truly cringe-worthy is Benning saying that Poolman "has some of the same attributes as Chris Tanev". Didn't he say the same thing about Jalen Chatfield last summer? Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
It could be a disappointment, and 4 years seems a year or two too long IMO...but I would like to see the player play first, before jumping to any rash judgement (which I can already tell is what this thread is going to be all about).

I didnt watch the Jets in the playoffs (watching the Canadian North division playoffs was unbearable)...Apparently, Poolman wasnt too bad.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
did you just compare poolman. To Seth Jones????

I get your trying to say advance stats are not good but poolman doesn’t even pass the eye test so other than blind hope which I bet you used to say holtby would be good are you basing your opinion on poolman being good?
I haven't even really seen Poolman play..where have I said that he's going to be good?...

Yes, I'm hoping Poolman does well..I'm taking it , that you'd like him to fail?

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It could be a disappointment, and 4 years seems a year or two too long IMO...but I would like to see the player play first, before jumping to any rash judgement (which I can already tell is what this thread is going to be all about).

I didnt watch the Jets in the playoffs (watching the Canadian North division playoffs was unbearable)...Apparently, Poolman wasnt too bad.

Sounds like he's either a shutdown dman or he owes Hellebuyck a few 6 packs after signing this deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad