Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I'm just curious, is all.

Obviously you've been spending a lot of time the past ten days or so reviewing Schmidt's game, so I'm wondering what you saw in his game that made you change your opinion of it so drastically and so suddenly? Any chance you have any notes as to which games or plays within those games we should check out that caused you to so massively downgrade your opinion of his play?

Since they haven't played any games in that period, you obviously weren't basing this on live viewings, so I'd imagine you have links to the footage pretty handy if you've been studying it so intently.

I'm just hoping to improve my grasp of the game, and I figured that this might help since these must be some seriously subtle nuances that you're picking up if you didn't notice them after watching him all season, and only came to this re-evaluation in the past few days.
You made your point but how you going to come at someone for their comments but block who looks at your profile so they can't go back and quote you. Lol.

Reactions: Bobby9

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It's a tough gig to be a fan. You can choose to be miserable, hate watch a team, and threaten to leave (but never leaving) or just enjoy sports as what it is, entertainment.

The day I care about a bunch of miserable anons on a message board that want to be right more than seeing the team succeed is the day I failed life.
Well said. That's exactly where I'm at.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
This is a team built to be appreciated by casual drivers... Not for enthusiasts who appreciate the art and science of efficiently and effectively getting from A to B.

Yes, to be a Canucks fan, it's best for an enthusiast to either close their eyes to the details, delude themselves into thinking it's a sweet ride, or finance a new car.

Last edited:
Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
That's the thing though, you can be optimistic and also realistic, calling a spade a spade doesn't make you some sort of bitter shrew.
It is tricky. I am working towards being a supporter of the team rather than a critic of the team. As fans we hear critics and commentators all the time and soon we become one of them. We are fans we can like and dislike but it does it change anything and does not increase our enjoyment at all. We all have opinions but really no one here knows.

Reactions: JAK and alternate

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
When I heard about Tucker Poolman somehow getting 2.5 x4 from my co-workers in Winnipeg, we were all like Lmao how the f*** did Tucker Poolman get 2.5 x4.

Then when they said it was Vancouver who signed him, I legitimately just wanted to walk out of my house all the way to the bottom of the Red River.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Here’s my attempt at a positive spin on this signing… from nucks misconduct:

“Poolman’s regular partner last year at even-strength was also Morrissey. There’s a case to be made that Morrissey is one of the most overrated defenders in hockey. The pair had a 46.8% Corsi together last year. Poolman’s Corsi jumped to 48.9% without Morrissey, but Morrissey’s Corsi dropped to 42.8% without Poolman.”

lol I think this is word for word a post from someone on here, without attribution

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
This is a team built to be appreciated by casual drivers... Not for enthusiasts who appreciate the art and science of efficiently and effectively getting from A to B.

Yes, to be a Canucks fan, it's best for an enthusiast to either close their eyes to the details, delude themselves into thinking it's a sweet ride, or finance a new car.

I hope one day I’ll grow up to be a sophisticated fan like you

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
It is a word for word quote with attribution from Nucks Misconduct, as I clearly stated in my post you didnt read.

No, I am saying someone else posted that but didn’t attribute it to Nucks Misconduct. I wasn’t saying it was you.

Reactions: Love

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Sounds like the issue with the enthusiast. It’s good to learn tools to cope. Counselling might help.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
You must not be looking very hard or have your own agenda because I've seen and read mostly positive comments from Jets fans in regards to his play. Believe what you want. Opinions always vary.

Wow, what is your problem? The reason I asked that is in the comments of the trade thread of the mainboard, as well as on the Jets board, the vast majority of the comments are saying it was a bad signing and that he's not a very good hockey player. Now I could go to the threat and count the numbers of positive vs. negative comments to get an exact % but that seems to be a waste of time since it sounds like you are suffering from confirmation bias.

So instead of accusing me of having my "own agenda", why don't you justify your position and show us how he is a good player?

Also, grow up and don't launch personal attacks at others for simply asking you a question. My initial response to you was civil and all I wanted to hear was why you thought he was a good player.

Reactions: geebaan

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I’m 40 so it isn’t looking good. Perhaps when I turn 60 I won’t be a casual fan anymore. Need to keep my head down and work hard!

Today's 40 is yesterday's 30! #1) I never said I was a Canucks' enthusiast. I used to be... but now, I close my eyes to the details. At this point in time, I would probably label myself as an "uninformed enthusiast" which is still outside but closer to the realm of a "casual Canucks fan", with all the benefits that this state of being brings - which is my ultimate goal, and what I want to ultimately identify with. #2) I never said that anyone who posts on this board isn't an enthusiast. We are all probably enthusiasts (although, I am resisting it for myself). I do think that some enthusiasts on here are deluding themselves into thinking the Canucks are a good team, on a good path. That's fandom. I think practically everyone on this board wants the Canucks to be a good team. I want the Canucks to be good, and I don't want to be negative, so I block out the details this past year. I tried to approach the team more as a casual, and I enjoyed the Canucks a lot more as a result. This is a team that is built for casuals to enjoy, therefore, enthusiasts need to adapt. Some resist and become negative. Some delude themselves to the details. Some ignore the details. Others cut ties. No judgement here. I don't have any doubts that practically every poster on this board could better analyze other NHL teams than they can the Canucks. We are all serious enthusiasts dealing with a silly team.

Sounds like the issue with the enthusiast. It’s good to learn tools to cope. Counselling might help.

Thanks! Of course it's good to learn tools to cope. We all witnessed Benning slap the shit out of the Canucks. Enthusiasts like you and I need to adapt to a team that is bonkers. I'm learning to cope by ignoring the details (it's a process, and I relapse at times, but it's working... I feel a lot happier with the Canucks than I did). I see no reason why, as Canucks fans, we need to approach this team with reality, and seriousness. Choose to ignore reality, or choose to delude reality. Both are fine options, as this is not a team built for those who take reality at face value. I felt more inclined to choose to ignore the details than delude the details... but both strategies work great to enjoy the team.

Last edited:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The day I care about a bunch of miserable anons on a message board that want to be right more than seeing the team succeed is the day I failed life.

It's really funny reading the rationalizations of people engaging with folks they insist are miserable but are they themselves perfectly well adjusted.

Reactions: geebaan

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I think what Ryan Miller is trying to convey here is that in order to be a fan of a team and enjoy sports properly, one must also be an intellectually dishonest management shill who makes thousands of contradictory posts under multiple handles on message boards.

And he also *checks notes* doesn't care what you think of him being full of shit.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
You must not be looking very hard or have your own agenda because I've seen and read mostly positive comments from Jets fans in regards to his play. Believe what you want. Opinions always vary.
Or go to their Free Agency thread and see their celebration of Poolman and Forbort being taken away. :lol:

This signing follows the exact same pattern of the myriads of bottom line UFAs that have busted miserably, and Poolman passes neither an eye or stats check... if some fans would rather indulge in copium instead, oh well.

Reactions: ugghhh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad