Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tucker Poolman to 4-Year, $10M Deal ($2.5M AAV)

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I guess Benning pays an extra million for every inch over 6'2. That's how we got the Myers contract.

Bodes well for signing Hughes though.

Reactions: Hit the post

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
These are the kind of depth players you want to keep on their toes with 1-2 year contracts and make them earn the next one.

4 years would be insane even at a reasonable cap hit. Just total idiocy.

For sure.

Don't sign players that haven't played on your team together long-term deals. Especially true for depth of players like this.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
For sure.

Don't sign players that haven't played on your team together long-term deals.

Well there's a strong case to me for foregoing the UFA market all together, but that's just not how pro sports operate.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I would challenge haters of this deal to name similar depth defensemen that we should have signed this free agency, and let's compare the contracts.

Reactions: nucks88

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Well there's a strong case to me for foregoing the UFA market all together, but that's just not how pro sports operate.

You can navigate it by signing only 1-2 year deals (which Benning has had some success with) and the team will come out much, much better.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Only deal signed the last few days that wasnt either fair value or a good deal. Quite happy with how it all turned out all in all. Should Poolman have been closer to 1.5-1.7 or gotten a year less? Sure. But it'd take a severe lack of perspective and maturity to lose your mind over this contract of all things. Its definitely an overpay, but its nowhere near the other shit (Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Gudbranson, Sbisa, the list goes on). All in all we have most of the roster filled out with enough money to get Petey, Hughes, and Dickinson signed (~20 million).

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It could be that there were 12 teams after this guy, or at least 12 teams that inquired. He's 28 years old, a RHD, a good No.5 guy... Maybe Benning had to pony up an extra $0.75mil or so and an extra year of term to get this guy.

Not every contract can be a steal. As long as he plays to a level that is close to his value then I'm fine with it. At most this guy is 1mil overpaid, that isn't crippling, especially if most of our depth players are signed to reasonable contracts.

Reactions: bbud

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Cody Ceci got 4 x $3.25.
Poolman's deal is much better IMO.

Market rate is what the MARKET sets it as, not what fans with keyboard thinks it is.

Are we better with Hamonic/Poolman or with Schmidt, is how I'm slicing it. Especially since Schmidt had emphatically stated that he did not request a trade and Benning stated he wanted to move him.

And I honestly don't know.

Reactions: Peen

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Are we better with Hamonic/Poolman or with Schmidt, is how I'm slicing it. Especially since Schmidt had emphatically stated that he did not request a trade and Benning stated he wanted to move him.

And I honestly don't know.

Schmidt wanted PP1 time and with the Canucks playing 4F 1D and Hughes, Schmidt was not going to get what he wanted.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Only deal signed the last few days that wasnt either fair value or a good deal. Quite happy with how it all turned out all in all. Should Poolman have been closer to 1.5-1.7 or gotten a year less? Sure. But it'd take a severe lack of perspective and maturity to lose your mind over this contract of all things. Its definitely an overpay, but its nowhere near the other shit (Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Gudbranson, Sbisa, the list goes on). All in all we have most of the roster filled out with enough money to get Petey, Hughes, and Dickinson signed (~20 million).
This isn’t a one off though.

Here are the types of arguments I’ve seen for Myers, OEL, Poolman, Hamonic

1. The buyout won’t be THAT bad
2. If X player improves to Y level, it will only be Z amount overpaid
3. Who else were we going to sign???

Like the cumulative value of how much those guys are overpaid/too long left on their contract is a big hit. Same with the Halak contract which pushes bonuses to next year.

Our cap freedom in 2022-2023 is gone.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Cody Ceci got 4 x $3.25.
Poolman's deal is much better IMO.

Market rate is what the MARKET sets it as, not what fans with keyboard thinks it is.

I'll agree to the extent that fans often underestimate the market for UFA contracts-- Edler and Hamonic being two recent examples where no shortage of people thought that they should sign for half or not much more than half of what it actually took.

The key, however, is to get value for that market rate and Benning has a long history of bad results after topping the market bidding for outside UFA targets-- with widespread complaints from fans immediately following the signings, not just well after the fact. Hence much of the skepticism. I don't know a lot about Poolman but I know plenty about Benning.

Feb 19, 2018
If he does build chemistry with Hughes or OEL this contract could end up being a steal at 4 years. Like Mayfield on the Islanders. Trots turned his career around and hopefully Shaw can do the same.

Reactions: nucks88

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
I wonder how many of those 12 teams were still in at 2.5 x 4 year tho...

It's actually crazy that Jimbo has spent the past several weeks trying to clean up the mess he made because he overpaid depth players for too long. Only to once again overpay a depth piece with 4 years of term lol

Reactions: Hit the post

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Jets went into this offseason needing to dramatically upgrade their blueline.....and Poolman apparently wasn't in their plans.

So they acquired Nate Schmidt from the Canucks and Poolman signs with the Canucks. Is he an upgrade? Probably not.

I don't know how you can say Poolman deserved a four-year deal, based on how he played last season with the Jets. But maybe the Canucks figure he has more to give. He spent four years at North Dakota and his career overlapped Boeser's, so I imagine the Canucks saw a lot of him.

But seems to me the Canucks get themselves in trouble in free agency when they sign a guy to contract term for what they 'think he will do', rather than what 'he's actually done'.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009

Yeah -- they are generally terrible value. You will probably need to make some UFA signings at some point, though.

I think there were 3 or 4 good ones today (Haula, Suter, Gaudreau, Savard.. and Halak was a fine signing) and there will likely be a few more good signings coming up too (always better value after the first day)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad