Prospect Info: Canucks select D Elias Pettersson , 3rd Round, 80th Overall, 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I hope he makes the eventually team so I can call them Thing 1 and Thing 2

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I hope he pronounces his name differently so shorthouse has an extreme complication added for entertainment value.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I love your GM and scouts. All I wanted was this guy to Vancouver and Jack Hughes to New Jersey. 50% of it happened.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
After living through Bob Cole mangling the Sedins and Sundin I think I’m prepared for the Elias Pettersson squared era.
‘And it’s Henrik Sundin to Daniel Sundin to Mats Sundin and he scores!’

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
After living through Bob Cole mangling the Sedins and Sundin I think I’m prepared for the Elias Pettersson squared era.
‘And it’s Henrik Sundin to Daniel Sundin to Mats Sundin and he scores!’
He used to say Mats Naslund too.... man I used to rant about how it was an example of Eastern bias that we couldn't have announcers on HNIC who could say the names of players on our team, but in retrospect Bob Cole was just getting on in years.

The name is obviously the biggest draw for me with this pick as I've never seen him play, but seeing his physicality and some smart reads in his highlights is nice to see. That said we don't have a lowlights package to know if those are what we can expect or not. It's why draft discussion on forums is always a crapshoot, people have strong opinions while having seen a couple minutes of highlights and parrot the opinions of analysts who also might not have seen a lot. It's a game of telephone where even the first guy wasn't sure what he was saying.

But what else are we supposed to do, off season is so boring. Might as well argue over who went at 80 between guys we only just heard of and will forget a week from now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

holy, the kid reminds me of a poor Dahlin style of play. So smart and compose with the puck and always seems to make the right play. Needs to work on his forward skating with the puck but every other part of his skating is above average. STEAL

It will be interesting to see how he compares with his team mate Simon Forsmark taken 101st overall by the canes who had better production and seems more polished right now but is also a bit older and not as good a skater so maybe not as projectable?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Top4 shut down upside. Really like what i have seen from this prospect. Kinda scoffed originally with the name and all but after spending some time looking into his game and development im excited to see where he ends up

Has really quick feet a balanced stance moves well with his head up at all times. Nice first pass and plays hard and heavy

Could be a Ekholm type pick for us at 80

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Top4 shut down upside. Really like what i have seen from this prospect. Kinda scoffed originally with the name and all but after spending some time looking into his game and development im excited to see where he ends up

Has really quick feet a balanced stance moves well with his head up at all times. Nice first pass and plays hard and heavy

Could be a Ekholm type pick for us at 80

He seems like a really solid pick but I’m still just struggling so hard to get past the name thing.

Reactions: Red and sting101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After following reports from development camp and watching some of the highlights, I'm starting to feel a lot better about the Canucks d-pipeline. Pettersson and Myrenberg had strong camps; and observers were also lauding the play of Jurmo.

It may take a few seasons for these guys to arrive---but looking more and more like they might actually be able to play at a level beyond the AHL. Not bad for guys drafted in rounds 3-6.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
After following reports from development camp and watching some of the highlights, I'm starting to feel a lot better about the Canucks d-pipeline. Pettersson and Myrenberg had strong camps; and observers were also lauding the play of Jurmo.

It may take a few seasons for these guys to arrive---but looking more and more like they might actually be able to play at a level beyond the AHL. Not bad for guys drafted in rounds 3-6.
You have a good pipeline when you can have these prospects suck and it doesn’t matter, its not good when you kinda need for them to surpass there draft position and make it.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Not to take anything away from these players, but this exact same post with different names is made after every single summer dev camp.

These guys are all extremely talented hockey players: they're supposed to look good in this setting. IMO, while it's possible to hurt your reputation, it's pretty tough to prove anything positive in a camp like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: B-rock

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Your basically just saying that we don't have enough high picks.

Yes. It's brutal to be in a position where having a couple guys who look like they might be able to contribute in some way a few years down the line is reason to "feel a lot better" about the team's prospect pipeline.

Considering where this team has been for the past half decade or more, that's absolutely horrendous.

Reactions: B-rock

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Your basically just saying that we don't have enough high picks.
I don’t think so… YMMV

Mainly we haven’t developed young players well for well over a decade. If we constantly have even just 1 player every 2 years taken after the 1st round actually reach there ceiling, thats how you get a deep prospect pool… then you don’t have to worry about the 7 others that don’t work out.

Players that go straight to the NHL (high picks) don’t do anything for your prospect pool and mask over bad development…

The Oilers are not like Tampa because even though they have drafted a heap of NHL talent, they suck at developing outside of guys that walk into the NHL.

Reactions: me2

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don’t think so… YMMV

Mainly we haven’t developed young players well for well over a decade. If we constantly have even just 1 player every 2 years taken after the 1st round actually reach there ceiling, thats how you get a deep prospect pool… then you don’t have to worry about the 7 others that don’t work out.

Players that go straight to the NHL (high picks) don’t do anything for your prospect pool and mask over bad development…

The Oilers are not like Tampa because even though they have drafted a heap of NHL talent, they suck at developing outside of guys that walk into the NHL.

That's an element, but they wouldn't be reliant on lower rounders to be filling in the pipeline right now if they'd had firsts in 2020 and 2021, as those players would (or at least should) be on their way into the fold in the same way that Podkolzin and Hoglander were in the past couple seasons.

Edit: To elaborate a bit, I guess what I mean is that if you're not developing lower rounders then that's a problem, but if you're forfeiting firsts for multiple years and you're still in a building stage then you're almost certainly in for some shit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad