Prospect Info: Canucks select D Elias Pettersson , 3rd Round, 80th Overall, 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Hey! You’re the guy who said Willander will be a home run pick and that Hughes and Willander may potentially be the best pairing in the NHL if I recall correctly!

I hope you’re right!

Very excited for Pettersson.
I'm very excited about Willander, and while I'm not completely certain if I had called him a "home run" pick, I do believe he has great potential. When discussing draft strategies for later picks, I remember using the term "swinging for the fences," which highlights the idea of targeting players like Jayden Perron instead of Mynio.

In my opinion, Willander is an excellent fit to complement Hughes. However, I can't help but indulge in a wishful dream where EP2 and Willander form a dominant pairing for several years, reminiscent of the Keith-Seabrooke pairing. In this scenario, Hughes would be matched up against weaker opponents, focusing more on offence.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm very excited about Willander, and while I'm not completely certain if I had called him a "home run" pick, I do believe he has great potential. When discussing draft strategies for later picks, I remember using the term "swinging for the fences," which highlights the idea of targeting players like Jayden Perron instead of Mynio.

In my opinion, Willander is an excellent fit to complement Hughes. However, I can't help but indulge in a wishful dream where EP2 and Willander form a dominant pairing for several years, reminiscent of the Keith-Seabrooke pairing. In this scenario, Hughes would be matched up against weaker opponents, focusing more on offence.

Hughes as been playing against teams top lines for
The past 3 years.

Source ?

Go to a Canuck game.

There’s a filter option where you can see Quinn Hughes ice Time against which opposing player.

It shows that he spends the most 5v5 ice time against the teams top forwards on 95% of the games.

Quinn Hughes my man is legit top pairing dman.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The past 3 years.

Source ?

Go to a Canuck game.

There’s a filter option where you can see Quinn Hughes ice Time against which opposing player.

It shows that he spends the most 5v5 ice time against the teams top forwards on 95% of the games.

Quinn Hughes is a top-5 defender in the NHL and might have been the best d-man in the NHL in the 2nd half of last season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Idk...Hughes is ok at defending but elite IQ agility and puckhandling make him a top10 D. That stretch last year if he could do that for most the season your looking at a Norris trophy.

DPetey was a steal. He is a big boy that plays that way and his skating and agility for a big man plus really good positional smarts and passing makes him a potential top shut down D. That looks like one of the better post 1st round picks in a long time if he can stay on his trajectory.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Idk...Hughes is ok at defending but elite IQ agility and puckhandling make him a top10 D. That stretch last year if he could do that for most the season your looking at a Norris trophy.

DPetey was a steal. He is a big boy that plays that way and his skating and agility for a big man plus really good positional smarts and passing makes him a potential top shut down D. That looks like one of the better post 1st round picks in a long time if he can stay on his trajectory.
The fact that Makar got the 3rd most Norris votes playing only 60 games against a field of strong candidates while QH ended up 9th way behind 8th, makes me think that he won't sniff the Norris for awhile. Ppl seem ingrained that he cannot play defense, and nothing he does will change their opinion playing while the voting block is in bed.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If D Petey hits, that would fill that gaping hole in the lineup of a physically mean defensive stopper. I read that he was extremely competitive in development camp, he already has the size and reach, makes correct plays consistently per Faber, in a great org in Sweden with Lekk and Carlsson.

Everything seems to be tracking well. Let's hope he develops some offense and he could be our answer to Josh Manson.

Reactions: MarkMM

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’m incredibly high on D Petey. I wonder if we’ll be using his middle name (Nils) as away of differentiating between EP40 and him.

Regardless, his skating ability, physicality, and defensive IQ and instincts are all projectable as a top 4 defenseman. An 18 year old playing 15 minutes a night and on the first PK unit, while being the toughest defenseman on the ice, is rare in the SHL. First to defend teammates, always involved in scrums, all the while being physically imposing as a kid. Perhaps he becomes like an Erik Cernak or a Josh Manson.

I can see this being our defensive unit 2 seasons from now:

Hughes - Willander
D Petey - Hronek
Soucy/Hirose - McWard
This would be such a nice cap friendly defense for a period of time

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
If D Petey hits, that would fill that gaping hole in the lineup of a physically mean defensive stopper. I read that he was extremely competitive in development camp, he already has the size and reach, makes correct plays consistently per Faber, in a great org in Sweden with Lekk and Carlsson.

Everything seems to be tracking well. Let's hope he develops some offense and he could be our answer to Josh Manson.

Soucy and Cole have addressed the physicality at least in the short-term, with D-Petey and Willander hopefully being a more long-term solution.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Soucy and Cole have addressed the physicality at least in the short-term, with D-Petey and Willander hopefully being a more long-term solution.
there is no telling whether Soucy can play top4 for a full season. Cole has the track record from TB, but before that, he was mainly a good guy anchoring a 3rd pair like on the hurricanes in 2021. I hope both Willander and EP2 hits too, too early to pencil them in for anything yet for me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When you look at the Canucks prospect pool; as well as others around the league, you really have to admire the job Sweden does in developing hockey players.

For a nation with a population of about 10 million, barely more than the GTA and Southern Ontario, the Tri-Kronor send a steady of stream of impact players to the NHL and other pro leagues.

Wilander, D-Petey and Lekkerimaki could well b e 1-2-3 on the Canucks prospect pool depth chart. From Gradin, through Ohlund, Naslund, Edler, the Sedins and Pettersson, you could argue that the best players in Canuck players in team history all cut their teeth in Swedish minor hockey.

Keep the pipeline comin'!

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The fact that Makar got the 3rd most Norris votes playing only 60 games against a field of strong candidates while QH ended up 9th way behind 8th, makes me think that he won't sniff the Norris for awhile. Ppl seem ingrained that he cannot play defense, and nothing he does will change their opinion playing while the voting block is in bed.

It would make a huge difference if the team didn't suck balls for once. It's hard to vote a guy for Norris when he's part of one of the worst defenses in history. But hey, Karlsson won it in the end anyway so what do I know lol.

He absolutely reached a new level the last month of the season. If he can replicate that all season he should be in the running.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
For most of the voted awards, you need some sort of narrative to your season to hype you up and get widespread media attention.

Hall winning the Hart in 17-18 is the perfect example. There's absolutely no way he comes close to sniffing the trophy without his 26 game point streak + dragging NJ back into the playoffs. Those two things combined to get everyone talking about how incredible he was all season, and that's what people remembered when they voted.

Last season the buzz was all about EK and his incredible resurgence + quest for 100p. Hughes got lost in the background because he was just another stellar offensive defenseman sitting outside the playoffs. In the eyes of voters Hughes was just EK without the 100p. You also had Dahlin, Morrissey, Fox who came out of the gates much stronger and got most of the early attention. On Jan 1st Hughes was way down in 8th for D scoring - even though he finished out the season strong and ended up 2nd behind EK he did it very quietly after people's minds were already made up.

For Hughes to win the Norris he'll need to have a hot start to get some media attention + the Canucks will need to make the playoffs + he'll probably need to lead defensemen in points for a decent stretch so everyone talks about him.

Reactions: Wildcarder

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
The past 3 years.

Source ?

Go to a Canuck game.

I'm not sure why you're quoting my comments since I never said Hughes is not a top pairing defenseman.

While his defensive skills have shown significant improvement, that's not necessarily his primary strength. He does not fit the mold of a prototypical shutdown defenseman, especially during intense playoff games. In my "very wishful dream scenario", I envisioned the EP2-Willander pairing handling the tougher defensive challenges, allowing Hughes to conserve his energy when facing weaker opponents. This way, he can focus on his offensive prowess and dominate in that aspect of the game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hughes, Hronek, Willander, D-Petey could be an outstanding top 4 in a few years.
No doubt about....for the first time in almost a decade, you can see more than a glimmer of hope with this roster. They're got a flock of scoring forwards currently on the roster; and more scorers in the system.

And the blueline--long a black-hole with this franchise--is slowly but surely being dramatically overhauled. And no arguments between the pipes, with Demko in the here and now and Silovs close to being an impact goalie. And they've got some promising goalies in the system.

There's still some organizational concerns at the center position.....but if guys like Raty or Sasson can fill third and fourth line roles, than even that's not a big problem.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
No doubt about....for the first time in almost a decade, you can see more than a glimmer of hope with this roster. They're got a flock of scoring forwards currently on the roster; and more scorers in the system.

And the blueline--long a black-hole with this franchise--is slowly but surely being dramatically overhauled. And no arguments between the pipes, with Demko in the here and now and Silovs close to being an impact goalie. And they've got some promising goalies in the system.

There's still some organizational concerns at the center position.....but if guys like Raty or Sasson can fill third and fourth line roles, than even that's not a big problem.
Chris Faber kinda said it best, the teams top team prospects is something to get excited about, he thinks there is a lot of potential, where as a couple years ago Wouters was our 10th best prospect, now its what Bloom maybe...... Alvin and Rutherford are making a real difference in a short amount of time with their hand tied

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
I’m incredibly high on D Petey. I wonder if we’ll be using his middle name (Nils) as away of differentiating between EP40 and him.

Regardless, his skating ability, physicality, and defensive IQ and instincts are all projectable as a top 4 defenseman. An 18 year old playing 15 minutes a night and on the first PK unit, while being the toughest defenseman on the ice, is rare in the SHL. First to defend teammates, always involved in scrums, all the while being physically imposing as a kid. Perhaps he becomes like an Erik Cernak or a Josh Manson.

I can see this being our defensive unit 2 seasons from now:

Hughes - Willander
D Petey - Hronek
Soucy/Hirose - McWard

I don’t want to jump the gun since we’re early…but if all those guys reach at least the upper 25% of their ceiling…then our D goes from bad last year to great by 2025-26.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Time to upgrade this boring and out-dated opinion of 'prototypical defensemen'.

Although Hughes' skating and smarts make him the best defensive defenseman of the team at the moment, he lacks the size which indeed matters in certain situations.

Again my idea was based on my very wishful scenario where our two young defensemen who happen to possess skills, skating, IQ and plenty of size blossoming into a dominant pair. They will certainly fit the term 'prototypical SHUTDOWN defensemen' (not sure why you dropped the word SHUTDOWN) that can be matched against any type of opponents.

Why do you think the management and coaches are considering reducing PK time for EP when he's the clearly the best option. They are trying to maximize his skillset in the best way that helps the team win. Similarly, if we have a defensive pairing that can shutdown the best opponents, it would be wiser to give QH playing time against weaker opponents.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
No defenseman can 'shut down' anything without spending significant time outside of their zone. Otherwise you're just hanging on for dear life.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I feel like Pettersson is an example of a fairly similar pick to a guy like Mynio is a lot of ways though.

A guy with a frame, responsible defensive instincts, and some projectable tools, but pretty pedestrian production in a junior league. It's about that idea of growing into themselves and becoming a different player. Pettersson has done that to become a very promising depth D prospect.

Guys like Jayden Perron are generally speaking, a lot closer to, "they are what they are" sort of finished products. It may be "swinging for the fences" in the sense that you're hoping for improvement or growth that is extremely unlikely...and every once in a blue moon, that actually pans out. But it's like swinging at a heater of a pitch hoping to hit it out of the park. More often...you're going to completely whiff and it's the guys like Pettersson or Mynio who have a huge amount of potential development "headroom" that end up surprising and turning into viable NHLers.

Frankly...the odds don't exactly favour any of these guys turning into really good long-term NHLers. But Pettersson's development is tracking like a guy who could actually have a solid contributing career as an NHL depth defenceman. Little scoring guys like Perron or defensively, Jordan Subban are always lauded by fans 'round here as a pick. But the vast majority of them never amount to anything. They only really have utility if they end up being a huge "hit". Whereas guys like Pettersson, or potentially Mynio...have some utility even if they just end up being a useful depth player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Checking D-Petey's profile on Hockey DB, he's still only 19 years old. And when he was drafted, he was listed at 6'2", 197. But from all reports at Development Camp, he's now 6'3" and 200-plus and looked like a man among boys

Said it before, but he reminds me a lot of Alex Edler. Probably won't have the scoring upside of Edler, but plays the game hard, fast and mean.

So every once and awhile the Canucks hit a home run with a d-man drafted in the third round out of Sweden. Maybe it'll happen again.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I feel like Pettersson is an example of a fairly similar pick to a guy like Mynio is a lot of ways though.

A guy with a frame, responsible defensive instincts, and some projectable tools, but pretty pedestrian production in a junior league. It's about that idea of growing into themselves and becoming a different player. Pettersson has done that to become a very promising depth D prospect.

Guys like Jayden Perron are generally speaking, a lot closer to, "they are what they are" sort of finished products. It may be "swinging for the fences" in the sense that you're hoping for improvement or growth that is extremely unlikely...and every once in a blue moon, that actually pans out. But it's like swinging at a heater of a pitch hoping to hit it out of the park. More often...you're going to completely whiff and it's the guys like Pettersson or Mynio who have a huge amount of potential development "headroom" that end up surprising and turning into viable NHLers.

Frankly...the odds don't exactly favour any of these guys turning into really good long-term NHLers. But Pettersson's development is tracking like a guy who could actually have a solid contributing career as an NHL depth defenceman. Little scoring guys like Perron or defensively, Jordan Subban are always lauded by fans 'round here as a pick. But the vast majority of them never amount to anything. They only really have utility if they end up being a huge "hit". Whereas guys like Pettersson, or potentially Mynio...have some utility even if they just end up being a useful depth player.

While it is true that the chances of finding a successful, long-term NHL player in the 3rd round are relatively slim, I still believe there are some prospects who are better bets than others.

Admittedly, I haven't had the opportunity to watch Mynio play firsthand, so my assessment of his potential is based on the opinions of other posters. Their evaluations have been quite diverse, ranging from criticizing his size, below-average skating, and lack of skill to praising him as the "best" player during the Memorial Cup final.

Regarding the comparison between EP2 and Mynio, I have to respectfully disagree with your statement. EP2 may have had terrible production in the SHL, but his junior stats were promising, showing notable potential (14 GP, 5 G, 10 A). His scouting report also highlighted his projectible frame, strong skating, and shooting abilities, which were well-validated by his highlight clips. On the other hand, Mynio seems to lack all the aforementioned qualities EP2 possessed.

As for Jayden Perron, I disagree with your assessment. While it is true that there are many small scoring forwards in junior hockey that don't become anything, again a certain type of small players are better bets. I was very impressed with Perron's high hockey IQ and smarts which he displayed all over the ice (not just when he possessed puck). You mentioned that Perron is "sort of finished product", and I partially agree since I dare to say his hockey sense seems almost NHL-ready. With the right development, gaining strength and further refining his skating and shooting skills, I believe Perron's chances of becoming an impactful NHL player are far greater than those of an average 3rd round selection or many other small scoring forwards in junior hockey.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad