Canucks quietly have the deepest forward group in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Which might be a valid take. The problem is when the OP goes so way over the top and starts giving every player career seasons (some much higher than they've ever produced before), it's going to result in people pointing out how silly the OP's premise is.

The OP essentially has the Canucks with like five or six 30+ goal scorers, and then another three 20+ goal scorers. Any team can claim to be "deepest in the league" if we're allowed to add 10+ goals to whatever total they had before for every forward on the roster.

I don't agree with him. It's a goofy looking take.

That being said, the Canucks are under-rated. Rightfully so they have proven nothing but it's a roster with a lot of forward depth and a top 5 goaltender in probably the worst division in the league - there is plenty of reason for optimism.

On the Canucks board I'm having a similar debate. Most of our fans want to curl up in a little negative ball and assume another disappointing season (cant blame 'em). But I think a lot of things are going to go right this year.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Good chance McDavid and Draisaitl alone will score more goals than those 3 combined...Now add the Oilers 3rd center and it's not even close
..Who is the Oilers 3rd center anyways ?? Lol...Also if you were going to offer me the Nuck's 1,2 and 3 C's to start a team or M and D I think you know who I'm taking.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Like 3 teams in that division are going to outscore the Canucks forwards lol. Let alone the whole league.

I can see the optimism overall. It's classic bubble team optimism but hey, anything can happen. But this thread is ridiculous.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Like 3 teams in that division are going to outscore the Canucks forwards lol. Let alone the whole league.

I can see the optimism overall. It's classic bubble team optimism but hey, anything can happen. But this thread is ridiculous.

Edmonton will outscore the division.

I wouldn't be betting on LA, Calgary and Vegas to outscore Vancouver though. It's all very close you're under-rating the Canucks forward depth.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The odds that the Canucks are a top 5 team in scoring this year are fairly good. Pettersson played at a 106 point pace for the last 30 games of the season, and I think he will carry that over. Podkolzin is going to be a beast for this team. Add in Mykheyev, who despite having 2 linemates with no offensive ability, and 3rd line minutes, still scored 21 goals. Kuzmenko projects to be at least a 20 goal scorer. So there is a lot of firepower on this team. The Canucks are deep enough that our 3rd line would have 31 goal scorer Horvat at C, and Garland on his wing. That's a very good 3rd line.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
mikheyev, horvat and garland aren't going to put up a combined 90 goals getting third line minutes

the canucks forwards are below average because unless miller, pettersson and boeser all have career years their first line is one of the worst in the league and outside of pettersson and maybe miller and podkolzin all their forwards are one dimensional

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I have such a hard time understanding the Canucks hype. They’re an okay team. Why are we acting any different ?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I'd argue the top line isn't particularly impressive, but the second and third lines are very potent. 4th line is average.

Canucks are a bubble team along with most of the Pacific.
You'll need a lot of goals scored and Demko to stop a lot of pucks, that defense is atrocious on paper

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't agree with him. It's a goofy looking take.

That being said, the Canucks are under-rated. Rightfully so they have proven nothing but it's a roster with a lot of forward depth and a top 5 goaltender in probably the worst division in the league - there is plenty of reason for optimism.

On the Canucks board I'm having a similar debate. Most of our fans want to curl up in a little negative ball and assume another disappointing season (cant blame 'em). But I think a lot of things are going to go right this year.
That's HFCanucks style... they'll argue harder against the Canucks than opposing teams' fans. Personally, I think the Canucks are going to take a big step forward.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I can’t really find any other team aside from St Louis and Colorado that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Canucks.

Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, that’s 90-100 goals alone down the middle. I don’t think there’s any team with that type of scoring punch down the middle. Not to mention Boeser having a down year last season due to family reasons. He’s easily good for 25 goals on the wing.

Then you have another 25, potential 30 goal scorer in Mikheyev, 50+ playmaker in Garland, Podkolzin who will definitely build from last season potting perhaps another 20-20-40pts. That’s not even mentioning Kuzmenko who could very well be another Panarin type player. Even Pearson is good for 35-40 points including 15-20+ goals.

Demko is a top 5 goaltender in the league, and there’s Hughes and OEL (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite defenseman who make their partners much better than they are (Schenn and Myers).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Lazar, Mikheyev, Joshua, and even Dickinson, having that hole on the right side is manageable. Canucks were top 5 in the league in fewest even strength goals allowed with that atrocious right side, in large part thanks to OEL and his brains. PK was the main issue on defense but that should be improved.

I just can’t really think of a more well balanced group, especially the forward group, with an average age of 25 years old.
the Leafs get over half of that from one guy alone lol

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I’m not sure if the Canucks have the deepest forward group in the league, but it should be enough to make the playoffs. You just need to get in. Because then anything can happen.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The different thing about this particular iteration of the Canucks having a deep forward group is that they have a coach known for getting the most out of his forwards. It's a good position for the team. The Canucks will look a lot like his competitive iterations of the Washington Capitals, Minnesota Wild and Anaheim Ducks with this group, and the question that will grow ever-prevalent is whether Boudreau's team can make a dent in the playoffs.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
Since Vegas is team drama I suspect it will be Calgary #1 in the Pacific. They lost two offensive players but gained a player who is better than either of the other two at this point. Their defence is better and they have great goaltending. Edmonton may be second because they are better overall, but their goaltending hasn't had a major upgrade and as others have noted they don't have many top 4 D-Men. Vegas is a question in goal and a team that isn't loyal to it's players. LA should finish ahead of Vegas. Ironically if LA and Vancouver worked out a trade for Miller they both might finish ahead of Vegas, but probably only LA. Anaheim is good but not better than Vancouver if BB gets the team into the groove early, otherwise Vancouver is in 6th. Any deal at this point involving Miller has to include a top 4 RHD plus a #3C player/prospect who can play this year. Otherwise write this year off beyond being fun too watch, trade Miller at the deadline for as many picks in next years draft as you can get.. They will have a more scoring options if Miller stays, but you lean on Demko too much and go nowhere in the playoffs if you make them, especially with this coach. Both Seattle and San Jose look to be better though the Kraken more so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad