Canucks quietly have the deepest forward group in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Good chance McDavid and Draisaitl alone will score more goals than those 3 combined...Now add the Oilers 3rd center and it's not even close
..Who is the Oilers 3rd center anyways ?? Lol...Also if you were going to offer me the Nuck's 1,2 and 3 C's to start a team or M and D I think you know who I'm taking.
So many meatballs in that pasta

• Haha
Reactions: VaporTrail

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The Canucks aren’t even the deepest at center ice in Western Canada, let alone the league. The Oilers top 3 centers combine for 110 goals and 283 points last year (despite Nuge having a down year goal wise and missing a quarter of the season). The Canucks 3 had 95 goals and 219 points

Reactions: capazzo

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Top ten if they perform. Look at what other teams have before we strut our stuff about this lineup...we added mikheyev and kuzmenko, not some superstars.

I would easily take edmonton, TB, probably Rangers, just off the top of my head. And then there's the fact that Miller is probably getting traded at the deadline which immediately cuts the balls off of the whole thing.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this season but nowhere near writing threads on the main board about it.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
The Canucks aren’t even the deepest at center ice in Western Canada, let alone the league. The Oilers top 3 centers combine for 110 goals and 283 points last year (despite Nuge having a down year goal wise and missing a quarter of the season). The Canucks 3 had 95 goals and 219 points
Is this supposed to be some kind of own against the Canucks? The oilers have the best 1-2-3 centre trio in the entire NHL. That has nothing to do with the fact that Miller-Pettersson-Horvat is a better 1-2-3 centre trio than the vast majority of the league.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

It's a dumb comparison because there's no team in the league that matches up to McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH down the middle.

Vancouver has more depth at forward. The obvious difference being the big 2 in Edmonton cover up a lot of problems on the roster. Pettersson and Miller obviously aren't that tier.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It's a dumb comparison because there's no team in the league that matches up to McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH down the middle.

Vancouver has more depth at forward. The obvious difference being the big 2 in Edmonton cover up a lot of problems on the roster. Pettersson and Miller obviously aren't that tier.

Is this supposed to be some kind of own against the Canucks? The oilers have the best 1-2-3 centre trio in the entire NHL. That has nothing to do with the fact that Miller-Pettersson-Horvat is a better 1-2-3 centre trio than the vast majority of the league.

OP literally said the Canucks have the best 1/2/3 centers in the league. I’m pointing out the obvious that they’re massively incorrect in that statement

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There are plenty of better forward groups. Off the tip of my head.

Colorado
Tampa
Toronto
Florida
Las Vegas
Ottawa
Edmonton
Carolina

The Sens were 26th in GF last year, sure adding DeBrincat helps but even if you add his 41 goals (and that's not how these things work as he is just replacing another top line spot that was there last year) that would have only made them 12 in GF last year.

Also I don't agree with the OP but I do expect the Canucks forwards to be around the top 10ish area this year.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I wouldn't say that but if no one takes a step back they'll be pretty good. The ability of their skill guys to impose physically is a bit lacking.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
OP literally said the Canucks have the best 1/2/3 centers in the league. I’m pointing out the obvious that they’re massively incorrect in that statement

And that's obviously a bold and overly optimistic prediction. But looking at their forward group it's not a stretch to say it's a top 10 group.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
No. But they have better depth than Edmonton imo.

And I haven't even gotten into the lopsided goalie situation.

“Better depth than Edmonton” wow, that’s a bold claim.

The thread title says “quietly deepest forward group in the league”.

I guess all fanbases have wildly optimistic/ borderline delusional fans but Vancouver really can compete hard there.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I can’t really find any other team aside from St Louis and Colorado that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Canucks.

Miller, Pettersson, Horvat, that’s 90-100 goals alone down the middle. I don’t think there’s any team with that type of scoring punch down the middle. Not to mention Boeser having a down year last season due to family reasons. He’s easily good for 25 goals on the wing.

Then you have another 25, potential 30 goal scorer in Mikheyev, 50+ playmaker in Garland, Podkolzin who will definitely build from last season potting perhaps another 20-20-40pts. That’s not even mentioning Kuzmenko who could very well be another Panarin type player. Even Pearson is good for 35-40 points including 15-20+ goals.

Demko is a top 5 goaltender in the league, and there’s Hughes and OEL (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite defenseman who make their partners much better than they are (Schenn and Myers).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Lazar, Mikheyev, Joshua, and even Dickinson, having that hole on the right side is manageable. Canucks were top 5 in the league in fewest even strength goals allowed with that atrocious right side, in large part thanks to OEL and his brains. PK was the main issue on defense but that should be improved.

I just can’t really think of a more well balanced group, especially the forward group, with an average age of 25 years old.

"Canucks quietly have the deepest forward group in the league'

Leads post by stating two other deeper teams.

This doesn't add up.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
“Better depth than Edmonton” wow, that’s a bold claim.

The thread title says “quietly deepest forward group in the league”.

I guess all fanbases have wildly optimistic/ borderline delusional fans but Vancouver really can compete hard there.

u rly think ur talkin to the entire fanbase?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And that's obviously a bold and overly optimistic prediction. But looking at their forward group it's not a stretch to say it's a top 10 group.

Which might be a valid take. The problem is when the OP goes so way over the top and starts giving every player career seasons (some much higher than they've ever produced before), it's going to result in people pointing out how silly the OP's premise is.

The OP essentially has the Canucks with like five or six 30+ goal scorers, and then another three 20+ goal scorers. Any team can claim to be "deepest in the league" if we're allowed to add 10+ goals to whatever total they had before for every forward on the roster.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
u rly think ur talkin to the entire fanbase?

I said all fanbases have these types of fans, so no?

There just seems to be noticeably a lot of this wildly optimistic talk from a good number of Canucks fans every year though. I’m always a bit surprised by it, there’s nothing wrong with hope though. This is a sports game.

Different fanbases have different vibes.

Last edited:

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
All depends on EP and Boeser. They gotta hit their potential, and are at the prime age to do it.

No mention of Hoglander in OP either, he had like 14 ES goals in 60ish games as a 20yo rookie.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The lineup could have many changes but ngl it looks deep

View attachment 575325
The problem with that kind of 'depth' is that players not build for specific roles will struggle when not given the opportunity in terms of icetime or offensive support.

A guy like Pearson on a 4th line just seems miscast. Same with Hoglander. This is how you turn these players into tweeners once you kill their confidence.

I see two fourth line centers in Dickinson and Lazar and a large glut of tweener skilled wingers. It's not surprising that Miller and Garland have been rumored to be on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad