Rumor: Canucks on the verge of signing Elias Pettersson for eight years!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
JR and Waddell have known each other for a very long time.

I don't think either would f*** around regarding a potential trade of this magnitude; especially at this point of the season and where both Van and Car are at in the standings.

Mgmt clearly needed to explore all options and must have received a good enough offer to make them consider it.

So they went back to EP and his camp and said "nut up or you might be traded".

Then bam.

As far as the Carolina deal is concerned, it's conceivable that it was a precursor to another deal. Similar to Horvat that led to Hronek.

There's enough time before the TDL to do another deal.

Brady Tkachuk perhaps?

Either way, the last few days have been crazy.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I find it unlikely that the Canes actually offered real value. IMO they only dumpster dive and lowball until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Even if so, would still be an unheard of move for the top team in the league to make. Maybe they would have done it but still hugely risky.
I just don’t doubt these guys with anything.

Like even now I’m expecting us to be the big movers at the TDL, even if I suggested being on the fringes outside of a Tanev move.

Quiet with Tanev, and now Weekes linking the Flyers D to Tampa and Toronto and not us

There must be some shit brewing

I find it unlikely that the Canes actually offered real value. IMO they only dumpster dive and lowball until proven otherwise.
Sat suggested their offer was a lot

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Earlier reporting was that the Canucks had explained to Pettersson's camp that they want something done before the deadline so they could plan for the future. With Pettersson's refusal to negotiate, this was the only way to get any clarity. Ballsy but makes a lot of sense given Pettersson's aloofness.
Ballsy - yes. Certainly. But it seems like it could have easily gone the other way, with Petey just saying, "eff you guys then".
Necas is a top line talent, Nikishin is the best D outside the NHL at 22, the Canes are one of few teams that could put together a package worthy of EP without gutting their team
Necas is not what people want him to be. People are complaining about Petey now - go watch Necas for a few games. He's also explicitly not a center.

If the package wasn't Jarvis + Nikishin + Nadeau at minimum, it would have been a colossal loss.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I’m curious, if Carolina decided to empty their cupboards for Pettersson, would you still trade Pettersson?

I’m talking like a ridiculous offer like Necas/Jarvis, Nikishin, Morrow, multiple picks and or 1sts etc. I feel like after them just missing out on Tkachuk they might actually try and go all in for Pettersson.

Jesus I feel like my heads going to explode

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I just don’t doubt these guys with anything.

Like even now I’m expecting us to be the big movers at the TDL, even if I suggested being on the fringes outside of a Tanev move.

Quiet with Tanev, and now Weekes linking the Flyers D to Tampa and Toronto and not us

There must be some shit brewing

Sat suggested their offer was a lot

• Haha
Reactions: DekeyPete

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Happy for @TruKnyte and @Petey O and everyone else who loves Pettersson in Vancouver
Not signed yet though. I want to see him stay but nothing real has happened yet. Still cautiously optimistic but the guy could want out even more after they floated trading him to Carolina.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Sounds like Carolina actually offered a package Rutherford would have considered. You can infer from that Rutherford was like ... look if you want out I can probably facilitate that but we'd also love to sign you.

I think Allvin is doing great, but let's be honest stuff at this level is pure JR chess.

I think it was more all things coming together, as @Jerry the great mentions. Pettersson started to get hammered by the media from the Friedman speculation/before this CAR trade rumour came out. And the TDL makes for a natural pressure point. Still, good on JR for using the noise to his advantage. Whatever gets the deal done.

Ballsy - yes. Certainly. But it seems like it could have easily gone the other way, with Petey just saying, "eff you guys then".

That's the risk. Since management had agreed that offseason talks were fine, this seems a gamble, but it may pay off nonetheless.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Wait, what?

As someone who always liked Randorf a lot and loathes Tucker Carlson to my core, I'm not seeing the comparison whatsoever other than...are they both short? What's the comparison?

Is Dave Randorf trying to undermine democracy and singing the praises of mother Russia?

oof, haha no. not tucker carlson-y in the spawn of satan sense, young randorf just came off a little off-puttingly rehearsed and smarmy to me. like the kind of guy you could see one day wearing a bowtie on tv. when tucker carlson became a thing, my first thought was, that guy reminds me of randorf.

and ftr, i didn’t even dislike randorf. just between him and taylor, i prefered taylor. “upstairs where dad hides the playboys,” and so on.

the sports page guy i actually disliked was... i think his name was mccormick? this really fratty guy a little later on who ended up doing sportsdesk on tsn iirc. that felt like the end of an era for sports page, and i think it did end around there so i guess it was the end of an era.

• Haha
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Mackinnon probably was grumbling when rantanen got a way bigger deal just a coupke years after him. Just not publicly.

MacKinnon's 2nd contract seems to be mis-remembered here for some reason. He did not take a paycut. In fact, a lot of people thought it was an overpayment, given his performance. There was a lot of question marks if he would ever take off.

In the first year of that contract, he only scored 53 points. Only in the later years where he exploded did it make the contract a bargain.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
What a weird thing to get leaked. I just do not understand the rush to get Pettersson signed right this second when he has two more RFA years remaining.
He has one more RFA year remaining. 2024-2025.

The rush to get him signed is so the Canucks can understand their current and future cap situation and make appropriate moves at the trade deadline as needed, to load up for a playoff run.

The team is having an amazing season. Worry about the contract in the offseason. This is not like JT Miller who was gonna be a UFA. Management should be focused on getting this current roster as much help as possible before the deadline so they can make a run right now.
That's exactly what they're trying to do, but they need to understand the cap situation moving forward before they acquire contracts that might impair their ability to re-sign players like Pettersson.

They'd really risk blowing this up because a guy who said he wanted to wait until the offseason has stood by that belief? Like that's some unprecedented situation and cannot possibly be resolved in the summer?
It seems like Pettersson is the one risking things blowing up here. Management's main goal has been to re-sign him. He is the one who has refused to engage.

This isn't a back-and-forth negotiation where neither side wants to budge.

This is Pettersson refusing to come to the table at all.

By the same token, shouldn't they be freaking out over Hronek?

Pettersson and Hronek are two completely different players. This is Hronek's first full season with the team and they are still figuring out exactly what they have and what he's worth.

With Pettersson, they are fully ready to commit the money and term.

Say for argument's sake the team flames out and Pettersson is disgruntled and indicates he wants to leave. Teams will line up to trade and extend him this summer.
The value of Pettersson for two guaranteed runs vs one means that teams will overpay at the deadline. Especially teams who feel like they can win it all this year.

---

Everyone wants Pettersson to re-sign. And management is willing to do whatever it takes.

But they're rightfully not letting him hold the team's salary cap situation hostage and deciding to act in the best interests of the team first.

This saga has only increased my faith in our management group.

The Canucks are a team. They're going to do what's best for the team. If that means keeping Pettersson, that's amazing.

If it means considering trading him or actually trading him? Well they've earned enough trust from me that I'd believe that they felt it was the best option for the team.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Preach.

Making it clear they are not going to be d*cked around into a Tkachuk situation where the RFA suddenly has all the leverage.

And calling his BS has led to negotiations…so good on them
Exactly, Allvin is covered either way. Either we move him for a package that will help us win now, or you re-sign and give us certainty going forward.

The last thing we need is another tear down like in Calgary.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Necas is not what people want him to be. People are complaining about Petey now - go watch Necas for a few games. He's also explicitly not a center.

If the package wasn't Jarvis + Nikishin + Nadeau at minimum, it would have been a colossal loss.
Agreeing on Necas as it isnt said enough

Visually one of the busiest playstyles in the league but results are just not there

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
oof, haha no. not tucker carlson-y in the spawn of satan sense, young randorf just came off a little off-puttingly rehearsed and smarmy to me. like the kind of guy you could see one day wearing a bowtie on tv. when tucker carlson became a thing, my first thought was, that guy reminds me of randorf.

and ftr, i didn’t even dislike randorf. just between him and taylor, i prefered taylor. “upstairs where dad hides the playboys,” and so on.

the sports page guy i actually disliked was... i think his name was mccormick? this really fratty guy a little later on who ended up doing sportsdesk on tsn iirc. that felt like the end of an era for sports page, and i think it did end around there so i guess it was the end of an era.
I think I remember that guy.
He reminded me of that smug blonde dude who had the Craig Ferguson show either before or after Ferguson, if I'm thinking of the right host.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Wow I freaking love Allvin and Rutherford, what huge stones these guys have. What a negotiation tactic. Pettersson was playing hardball continuously stating he doesn't want to talk contract until season's end, until Allvin goes out and finds a backup plan incase Pettersson negotiations backfire. Brilliant. The Canucks management has been nothing but honest with Pettersson and J.P Barry, willing to throw large amount of money towards the star players camp. Willing to talk and negotiate. There are a lot of decisions to be made before the deadline and resigning Pettersson was the teams number one priority, but there are other decisions to be made aswell to make this team a cup contender. They had to speed up the process. Love hearing that the two sides are now negotiating a deal rather than waiting until years end. Also love hearing that Allvin was looking to Carolina who is stacked with pieces for the future. Nikishin, Necas, + Jarvis/1st/Kotkieniemi would be a very good package to start things off. Nikishin is pretty much Russia's version of Shea Weber, probably the top prospect defenseman not in the NHL. Necas is a very talented player who isn't being used in the right role. I would honestly prefer to keep Pettersson for another 8 years, but I am so happy/ecstatic to hear our new management has the balls to even pull this negotiation tactic off.

I love Allvin, he is definitely General manager of the year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
@lawrence your thoughts?

It started from Dave Pagnotta from 4th period.com with a bombshell there is a 12 million dollar on the table but Petey hasn't signed yet. his source is a "someone close to the team" . to me you either name the source, or don't say shit at all as the fans in vancouver are dumb as hell and we absorb shit like a sponge.

Dave Pagnotta didn't accurately report on any transactions of the Vancouver in the past 15 years. He missed out on every transaction of the Vancouver Canucks, so why is he suddenly a reliable source?

anyways after this Friedman made bombshells based on that rumour from 4th perdiod.com Everyone sucked it up with a sponge. again the main source being 4thperiod.com. Friedman is suddenly a star over night with his bull shit rumours.

yesterday bombshell suggests he will sign within a few days, which makes Friedman look like a complete Pejorative Slur by suggesting he wants out. although he never worded like it, he made it convincing enough to sound like pettersson might not want to sign here.

so the best he got is to make a rumour suggesting there are trade dicussions between the 2 team.

here are my thoughts.

- we are trying to win a stanley cup. We are working towards that.

- we currently have player that has posted 100 points in the past. he did it at the age of 24. only one other player in our 55 years of pathetic history has pulled this off.
- this same player is on pace for another 100 point season.
- now we want to trade this player and take our team 4 steps back? than whats the point of adding hronek, and LIndholm?

it doesn't make sense.

If Petey gets traded, I will close my account. its not happening. Deadbeats like Servella and Friedman just wants clicks.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Was Vegas' FO short sighted and arrogant for the aggressive moves they made in trading beloved players out to improve in order to win a cup?

If the player is dicking around and preventing them from making non-rental deals because they have no idea if he actually wants to be in Vancouver long term, are they 'ignorant' if they push to get the deal done so they actually have an idea of the cap structure moving forward?
Vegas has never had a player as good as Pettersson on their roster and they damn sure didn't send anybody out who was in the same stratusphere. Their two best players were acquired BY trade. In fact, they didn't get over the hump until they brought in another star.

In no world will the Canucks be better off by trading Pettersson. The amount of people cheerleading this in here is alarming and short sighted. 100 point players do not grow on trees.

They can still make moves without a Pettersson extension; they already made the Lindholm deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: geebster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad