Rumor: Canucks on the verge of signing Elias Pettersson for eight years!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
What a weird thing to get leaked. I just do not understand the rush to get Pettersson signed right this second when he has two more RFA years remaining.

The team is having an amazing season. Worry about the contract in the offseason. This is not like JT Miller who was gonna be a UFA. Management should be focused on getting this current roster as much help as possible before the deadline so they can make a run right now.

They'd really risk blowing this up because a guy who said he wanted to wait until the offseason has stood by that belief? Like that's some unprecedented situation and cannot possibly be resolved in the summer?

By the same token, shouldn't they be freaking out over Hronek?

Say for argument's sake the team flames out and Pettersson is disgruntled and indicates he wants to leave. Teams will line up to trade and extend him this summer.
Most irrational front office in the league?

Delusional just like Canucks fans who would dare discuss trading Pettersson for a downgrade.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
While a Necas/Nikishin-led package may be fair, that would have meant making a huge downgrade to the roster for this season. Hard to imagine they would have blown things up this season rather than wait until the offseason, even if they had the contours of a deal in place.
Not if Nikishin wouldn’t be in the trade come the summer and VAN felt like this was their best chance to get a legit top pair D/C prospect.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
Most irrational front office in the league?

Delusional just like Canucks fans who would dare discuss trading Pettersson for a downgrade.
It's ignorant as far as I'm concerned. They're risking the season by pushing this to the forefront for no reason and they will definitely be worse off from a talent perspective if they foolishly trade him. Just incredibly short sighted and arrogant.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I must have missed the Draisaitl and MacKinnon grumbling these past few years.

Mcdavid>>>drai

Mackinnon probably was grumbling when rantanen got a way bigger deal just a coupke years after him. Just not publicly.

But I wouldn't say petey is 50% better than miller, that's for darn sure.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
It's ignorant as far as I'm concerned. They're risking the season by pushing this to the forefront for no reason and they will definitely be worse off from a talent perspective if they foolishly trade him. Just incredibly short sighted and arrogant.
Was Vegas' FO short sighted and arrogant for the aggressive moves they made in trading beloved players out to improve in order to win a cup?

If the player is dicking around and preventing them from making non-rental deals because they have no idea if he actually wants to be in Vancouver long term, are they 'ignorant' if they push to get the deal done so they actually have an idea of the cap structure moving forward?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I have. The report does lend credence to the idea that trade talks were a factor. Do I think they were actually considering trading him? Nope, but it was enough to start a serious conversation.

Good for JR to bluff it. I wouldn't have risked it, not with Pettersson. In the end, it's all about getting him signed.

Sounds like Carolina actually offered a package Rutherford would have considered. You can infer from that Rutherford was like ... look if you want out I can probably facilitate that but we'd also love to sign you.

I think Allvin is doing great, but let's be honest stuff at this level is pure JR chess.

Last edited:
Reactions: oceanchild

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Jim Benning today when he realized there are alternatives to running out of time:

DWBEQOOVQAAe3p_.jpg

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Not if Nikishin wouldn’t be in the trade come the summer and VAN felt like this was their best chance to get a legit top pair D/C prospect.

Even if so, would still be an unheard of move for the top team in the league to make. Maybe they would have done it but still hugely risky.

Reactions: Vector

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Management put the long term needs of the franchise at the top of the priority list, which is what good management does. They have shown incredible patience with him this year, but with the team leading the division and wanting to make decisions that effect the long term success of the team they needed to know clearly whether he was in or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad