Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | These Little Piggies Are Not Going To The Market…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
8-Year Contract Deadline: June 30th, 9pm PST
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We’ve addressed everything possible at forward and probably meaningfully improved the PK. I agree the defense isn’t ideal, but it looks like a bunch of Tocchet/Foote guys. Allvin says they see upside Desharnais.

The forwards are extremely versatile, there are a lot of guys that can play all over the line-up.
Perhaps at the moment, but we've left little we can do later, and could have acted faster to get players rights, or available forwards from teams jettisoning cap space.

I don't feel Heinen and, especially, Debrusk leave us any more versatile then the cap space would have. Ditto for the new D too.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
A little concerned about our transition game once Hughes Hronek leave the ice. Desharnais is not a good partner for Forbort

Sure hope someone surprises at camp or as the season progresses. Would have liked to hold some more of our cap but we'll see how it comes together i guess.

Too bad for Juulsen he's pretty much done in Vancouver without a rash of injuries i would think with Friedman around.

Juulsen doesn't do as well off the bench.

Reactions: SiZ

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A lot went right last season. Team was healthy for the most part until the playoffs and lucked into a draw against an easy first round opponent.

Nothing today inspires me to even fathom another campaign like 2023-24. In fact, I am now so incredibly happy we have our 2025 pick as it could very well be a lottery pick if one of Miller, Demko or Hughes go down for an extended period. Just zero real depth.
I don't feel things are that dire, being back in a lottery spot, but this was a massive squandered opportunity.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lindholm wants to play as a 1 or 2C. Those spots are taken here already. We'd have had to offer him stupid money for him to want to stay here.
Or come to a compromise with someone else playing LW instead. I don't disagree that Lindholm likely wanted a better on ice fit than he had here, but his replacement makes us worse. There were players available that would have filled the Lindholm void, or even improved on it, and we whiffed a it here.

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
Mantha is sloooowwww as hell and gets beat all over the ice Tuevo has become such a perimeter player. on top of that Debrusk has 36 ES goals to TTs 20 over the last 2 yrs. I dont think were looking for secondary assist guys vs players who can get to the inside in our top6. Mantha and Boeser would be something to watch?

Zadorov sure would have liked him but if you pay him that contract he absolutely has to be a reliable top4 20min a night guy and as great as he was short term playoffs he also has been reduced to 13-14 minutes and largely benched by the Flames the 2yrs leading to Vancouver due to how inconsistent and lazy he can play. I would have probably given him that deal as i like what he brings post season. Just a wall

Heinen Debrusk is better than Tuevo and Mantha i dont think they are at all what we want to complement our best players up front with so i would rather what PA has done vs your roster but it's just an opinion
I was split between mantha and duclair. They both have their warts but pius suter on the top line? Cmon man.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Forwards got better, I’d take the 3 they signed over Lindholm and Lafferty

Defense you lost Zadorov/Cole and gained Desharnais/Forbort, that’s a clear step back

They’re really going to regret not picking up a puck mover for the bottom 4. Tocchet/Foote love size I get that, but you need some balance.

If this team is in a playoff spot at the TDL, I expect puck moving dman to be their clear need, maybe a top winger again too if DeBrusk doesn’t click with Petey and ends up with Miller

Reactions: sting101

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Perhaps at the moment, but we've left little we can do later, and could have acted faster to get players rights, or available forwards from teams jettisoning cap space.

I don't feel Heinen and, especially, Debrusk leave us any more versatile then the cap space would have. Ditto for the new D too.

DeBrusk was about the best target left once Guentzel went off the board, they were never going to have much success in trade due to a lack of chips. They hit two good bottom six additions that remind me of Suter/Blueger last year. Not sure what else could have been done outside of just sitting on cap space. I do agree they still need to do something with the defense. Forwards at least look to have an identity, Pettersson will have an upgrade at wing. Not sure what else they could have done. Not a fan of adding the Mantha and Duclair types of the world.

beckstreaker07

Jul 2, 2009
We are barely under the cap with a 23 player roster, depending on Silovs' contract.

I still don't see this as a reason to be optimistic though, our biggest acquisitions last year were straight up rentals, and I can't hold out hope that we have a way out of this without more rentals.

We had an opportunity to improve from last season, and I feel there was no plan B after the big fish that signed elsewhere.

I had no issues with Lafferty or Lindholm and they're play under Tocc's system, and they show up very well versus Heinen and Debrusk. Our D is as deep, but the downgrade from Zadorov to Forbort will be noticable. Desharnais is more a replacement to Cole, but neither of these two are a big improvement over who else is in our system already (Juulsen, Brisebois or Friedman).

Allvin has left us in a hole, here.
Who are these players they missed out on that didn't sign in a no tax state and weren't over paid?

Lindholm and Zadorov chose elsewhere; Being the 3C and 3rd LD weren't what they wanted and both took similar money to what was offered by the Canucks for 1st line roles.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Brannstrom's advanced numbers look really solid but I haven't had chance to contextualize it and haven't watched much of his games.
His deployment was soft. Maybe a flyer in the third pair rotation is ok but he’s too adverse to contact from my viewings that might put him in the doghouse.

Reactions: timw33

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We offered 5x5 for Zad but he wants that extra year
Alright, so did we try other D? Ghost, Marino, Sergachev, Edmundson, Tanev, Lybushkin or Haakanpaa were all available to some degree as well, depending on which and how many things we wanted to replace to from Zad's game. Forbort has one (size) and Desharnais has one (right handedness).

I'd have been fine with that extra year though.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Kylington on a cheap deal would be great. I don't love the signings of both Desharnais AND Forbort. One or the other would be plenty.

I think thats what most of us feel, totally fine getting the bottom pair 2MM or under for 1 maybe two years is fine, it's getting two of them where it doesn't feel great knowing Tyler Myers and Soucy are your middle pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad