Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
i don't understand why people are rushing to give Boeser so much money when they can just let the season playout, probably watch him regress to around 30 goals and then pay him less. Or let him walk if there's opportunities to invest the capspace in another top 6 option.

Depends on what he's expecting right now vs what he could get later.

For his career, he's been a .80~ P/GP player. Cohort includes Laine, Keller, Buchnevich, Tkachuk and Thomas. The least of which took 8.77% of the cap. 9% of the current cap gets him to $8m~ AAV. And so, if he takes anything in the mid $7m AAV range right now, sign him to term. Immediately.

The goal scoring shift is less critical to the decision than his P/GP averages over 7 years. He's a 1st line level producer (ranking 72nd in that frame). Pay accordingly and the Canucks will be fine.

Last edited:

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
People here have a warped idea what Tocchet values in players, including yourself.
All we can do is take his body of work in his career as a coach to draw from. He’s a systems guy that demands hard work and an adherence to structure of play.

His stints in Arizona and in Vancouver have had his players play a dump and chase offensive system. He cinched away offensive production for the sake of defense.

There’s always rumblings of Tocchet getting into heated matches with players everywhere he’s gone, whether that’s with Pittsburgh or Arizona. It’s no Burger King up in here, it’s his way, or no way.

I’m going to be wary and not assume we’ll have a good season based on what we did the last. We ourselves were embracing the PDO merchant stuff.

Our eggs cannot all be in one basket if Tocchet doesn’t work out. Roster and coaching malleability is important. Hopefully Tocchet’s learnt something from his previous experiences.

Reactions: TruGr1t

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
While I agree with you that the actual roster doesn't look that much better, I think you're incorrect in using the 2022-2023 opening lineup as the starting point vs the actual starting point for Allvin, like you're weirdly using Kuzmenko against Allvin when he's the one who brought him in, ditto with completely ignoring Joshua. That's like saying the Benning regime already had Demko when they technically brought him in.

I would compare the current roster to this one:
View attachment 893099
The rosters aren't comparable

Reactions: Nucker101

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
All we can do is take his body of work in his career as a coach to draw from. He’s a systems guy that demands hard work and an adherence to structure of play.

His stints in Arizona and in Vancouver have had his players play a dump and chase offensive system. He cinched away offensive production for the sake of defense.

There’s always rumblings of Tocchet getting into heated matches with players everywhere he’s gone, whether that’s with Pittsburgh or Arizona. It’s no Burger King up in here, it’s his way, or no way.

I’m going to be wary and not assume we’ll have a good season based on what we did the last. We ourselves were embracing the PDO merchant stuff.

Our eggs cannot all be in one basket if Tocchet doesn’t work out. Roster and coaching malleability is important. Hopefully Tocchet’s learnt something from his previous experiences
you've assembled a caricature of tocchet to straw man with and put a lot of words behind it. reality is more nuanced.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Don't need another small D man unless he can actually play.

If they are determined to spend a bit more sign a true thug that can skate a bit and sign him him to the league minimum or just below. Tired of seeing Abby get bounced around and a guy that could yo-yo back and forth would be ok. Like a Zack MacEwan who had balance and coordination. Gotta be someone out there, haven't scanned the lists much.

Reactions: theguardianII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would probably rather have Dermott on a cheap deal instead of Forbort, but clearly they want to run with a forest defense.

Hmm… I liked Dermott but Forbort has a longer history of playing tough defensive and PK minutes. A healthy Forbort who hasn’t suffered a major decline is better IMO. I would sign Dermott and send Friedman down.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Noticed a lot of the pre-season power rankings have us 9th or 10th. Any thoughts?

Not that it counts for anything.

Personally I prefer the Canucks not get ranked too high and set unnecessary expectations.

The Canes are a team I’m curious about after a few high profile departures in Guentzel, Pesce and Skjei, whether they can remain a strong team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There’s no reason to add anyone else to the roster unless it’s a significant upgrade.

Pretty much. Either add a Top-4D/Top-6F or just roll with what we've got at this point.

There might be some trades still out there worth looking at, but in terms of remaining UFAs...they're left hanging for a reason. Don't need any of 'em. Just clutter.

A few guys i wouldn't be mad at handing a PTO to as a camp body and see if they could add something. But with the amount of competition we already have for most spots at the bottom/fringes of roster, i doubt Vancouver is going to be a real prime PTO destination anyway.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Noticed a lot of the pre-season power rankings have us 9th or 10th. Any thoughts?

Not that it counts for anything.

Personally I prefer the Canucks not get ranked too high and set unnecessary expectations.

The Canes are a team I’m curious about after a few high profile departures in Guentzel, Pesce and Skjei, whether they can remain a strong team.
1720620104933.png

• Wow

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

What u guys think of this list ?

Personally I think labanc and shattenkirk might be worth a try. I know shattenkirk doesn’t like to be in Canada.
Kylington really stands out as someone we could sign on a short term deal as free agency wears on. Fills a real need as a LHD puck mover in one of the bottom 2 pairings. But can't see how that wouldn't dip into Poolman's LTIR and cause headaches at TDL.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Kylington really stands out as someone we could sign on a short term deal as free agency wears on. Fills a real need as a LHD puck mover in one of the bottom 2 pairings. But can't see how that wouldn't dip into Poolman's LTIR and cause headaches at TDL.

Word out of Calgary is negotiations broke down because he wants term. The Flames tried to sell him on a 1-year deal. Sounds like that relationship has gone sideways, though, so maybe his tone changes later in the summer and he moves on under a shorter-term deal somewhere else.

Reactions: Grantham

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Looking at the teams from the bottom:

SJ gets a 10 point bump in the standings from 47 to 57. Sure, can see them not being as terrible.
Chicago with a massive 25 point bump from 52 to 77. That's massive... Not sure I see that.
CBJ with a small 6 point jump or so.
Habs drop 7 in the standings.

Ducks with a 20 point jump because of Dum and Fabbri? Sure.... and all of those kids like MacTavish, Carlsson, Gauthier, Zell, Mint, LaCombe are all taking another big step next season to get those 10 extra wins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad