Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Summer Doldrums

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Boeser is going to be signed, unless he gets unreasonable or decides he wants to play in Minnesota or something. For the rest of the smaller raises, Hoglander included, I think it really just comes down to how much cap space is available. The majority of our cap is committed over the next two seasons, and next year we're hitting the high OEL cap hit. We might not have a choice but to replace the expiring $1-3M guys with ELC's.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
You can’t just have one type of player as a coach if you expect to be a great coach. And we can’t be a great or even very good team if we can’t even sign certain young players based on their current play.

Like, look at JR’s acquisition of Phil Kessel.
No team should just cater to a coach, that’s not how the NHL works. A coach can certainly give input on players, systems to management, but the hierarchy exists the way it does for good reason.

You can’t just say, this guy isn’t a Tocchet player, let’s reject talent and double down on size and grit and ignore the trend of the modern NHL for skill and creativity.

There is a reality that Tocchet isn’t here in a few years time, and going all in on size and toughness is a mistake that wastes the window of our current core.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I thought cap friendly was supposed to be going away? It seems like it's still active...

Quiet! If anyone notices it'll be taken away from us!

In all seriousness, this wasn't an official date. The July 5th time was mentioned by Friedman, I believe, but the Capitals have just said the website will go offline sometime during the summer.

Reactions: iceburg

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
No team should just cater to a coach, that’s not how the NHL works. A coach can certainly give input on players, systems to management, but the hierarchy exists the way it does for good reason.

You can’t just say, this guy isn’t a Tocchet player, let’s reject talent and double down on size and grit and ignore the trend of the modern NHL for skill and creativity.

There is a reality that Tocchet isn’t here in a few years time, and going all in on size and toughness is a mistake that wastes the window of our current core.

Yup. One of the needs from the postseason is that we need more offence. Their only so many players in the NHL that can provide offence and play a "Tocchet style game", let alone that would be available to us. To improve the offence you will have to probably have to add a softer player. If we want to win a cup he'll probably have to improve a non-Tocchet type player or 2. Like Florida did with Sam Reinhart.

It's unreasonable to not draft or trade for skill players.

Reactions: wetcoast

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Debrusk is at $5.5M. On a long-term deal (which Boeser will want), Brock is looking at near $9M. He's probably not fulfilling $9M of value for most of those seasons, or even any at all.

Historically I've been one of the bigger Brock boosters here. But you just have to make the smart move at some point. The smart, ruthless, and winning organizations in the league know this.

Debrusk is coming off a 19 goal 40 point season and aside from 22-23 he's been hovering in that 25-30 goal 40ish point range over 82 games. I think he was also offered more money but less term.

I do get that what you are saying, but that's the price of admission. If Boeser is putting up 30-40 goals 70ish points + another strong playoffs again that's $8-$9M money. Maybe a bit less if there's some fear of regression. I can see the Canucks ultimately offering 7-8x~$7.5M.

aregora

Jan 6, 2018
Quiet! If anyone notices it'll be taken away from us!

In all seriousness, this wasn't an official date. The July 5th time was mentioned by Friedman, I believe, but the Capitals have just said the website will go offline sometime during the summer.
I wonder if the league strong-armed the Capitals into keeping it online for a period of time.

Or maybe other teams offered a financial inducement to keep it online for a month or two - i.e. paid the Capitals as if they were customers, as they had no other tools themselves at the same caliber and were worried about signing invalid contracts or whatnot in the quick-moving free agent frenzy.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010

People here have a warped idea what Tocchet values in players, including yourself.

Reactions: alternate

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I wonder if the league strong-armed the Capitals into keeping it online for a period of time.

Or maybe other teams offered a financial inducement to keep it online for a month or two - i.e. paid the Capitals as if they were customers, as they had no other tools themselves at the same caliber and were worried about signing invalid contracts or whatnot in the quick-moving free agent frenzy.

I think it's just that the July 5th date was the earliest the sale could close. All the other dates say that the sale is expected to close in the middle of the summer. CapFriendly had contracts with individual teams that would be terminated, the key contributors to CapFriendly will be employed by the Capitals, and the website will integrate into the Capitals in-house hockey operations. I imagine all that needs to be sorted through before the sale is final and prevents the website from remaining public.

Reactions: aregora

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Debrusk is coming off a 19 goal 40 point season and aside from 22-23 he's been hovering in that 25-30 goal 40ish point range over 82 games. I think he was also offered more money but less term.

I do get that what you are saying, but that's the price of admission. If Boeser is putting up 30-40 goals 70ish points + another strong playoffs again that's $8-$9M money. Maybe a bit less if there's some fear of regression. I can see the Canucks ultimately offering 7-8x~$7.5M.
I'm saying if that's the price of admission, the Canucks can't pay it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Agreed on principal. I think ideally the HC excecutes management's vision. In reality there's often a balance at play. It's management's job to put together the team. But it's also management's job to give the head coach the tools to succeed. Reality is usually not like the old Moneyball movie.

A head coach often needs to balance between implementing a system that he believes in and a system that fits his players. Subtle adjustments might be made.

And that's fair. Can't and won't pay are two different things. It's been reported that the Canucks were willing to offer 7 years at ~$7.5Mish money to Horvat and later Lindholm (maybe just $7M for Lindholm). Both can play Cs. There is also reported interest in Guentzel (before signing DeBrusk) who was expected to get ~$9M AAV and did. Current management signed Boeser to his current 3x$6.65M AAV under a flat cap environment.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

I agree BUT there are standards. What is working best for teams now that hitting has just about been eliminated and I am not talking about the noisy near hit sound of hitting the boards or glass.

Tocchet guys? I think or am worried, that starts with being Russian or happy in the room. They take away the seriousness of the game maybe? Certainly some players got the short end of the stick, OEL was played all over the place and then there was the history of OEL's repeated trade request when he was the Yotes coach, then Kuzmenko who from all reports was a "card" in the room, a happy guy, the Zadorov who again kind of took over the "music" in the room, followed by Mikheyev although there was a lack of performance there but still not a huge problem.
Tocchet wants faster guys but gives Boeser, by far the slowest player on the team extra icetime. Now Boeser did play the best of his career in this playoffs but 16 games isn't 82 or 8 years either. How long before Podkolzin is shipped out now? How much of a REAL chance will he get to make the big team? Two mistakes, three? Playing with different players in different roles game to game? Thats what happened to Kuzmenko. Tocchet was not impressed with Kuz's Caribbean work outs.

Tocchet guys, fast, but just got rid of three speedsters, dmen able to make a good first pass but got rid another, bigger but the team signed smaller forwards and still haven't replaced Kuzmenko's 39 goals on a top six wing.

Coaches can make players look bad, they can have conversations off the record with media, sports shows guys to enhance or not mention other players miscues or deficiencies.

If a coach wants to make a player look good give him extra icetime, put him on the PP, don't use him on the PK and divert attention to some other guy in the doghouse for that day.

I see Boeser as a Tocchet guy, he will shelter him and put even more pressure on Miller and whomever else is on that line.

I don't think Pettersson is a Tocchet guy, there is the "want" to be there from Pettersson but it is taking away from his natural talents.

The current core. Their window is already closing. Who is under 29 next year? Where are the next replacements for top six players? How many under 25 yrs old? One?

This last season could have been an anomaly just like 2015. Time will tell although I think this team is better than the 2016 team but not by a huge margin.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I would trade Hoglander before the season starts while his value is highest, depending what shakes out with other team's RFAs and arbitration situations?

When's Necas arbitration? 👀 Would be funny, Canes shooting for Tkachuk, then Pettersson, then 4th OA and then settling for Hoglander and some draft picks.
Sure but the Canucks can't fit Necas and it's almost a certainty that he isn't coming here.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
1720557875111.png

Reactions: Nopefully

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Expect Boqvist to put up some nice numbers in Florida next year.
Probably but he will need to grow his game to stay in the NHL long term just seems a bit overwhelmed out there and I think his development might have screwed him up but at that price worth the risk.

Also florida is a great place to shelter his weaknesses.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
cheaper than building their own cap management tools, plus they deny their competition its use

i don't understand why people are rushing to give Boeser so much money when they can just let the season playout, probably watch him regress to around 30 goals and then pay him less. Or let him walk if there's opportunities to invest the capspace in another top 6 option.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I would trade Hoglander before the season starts while his value is highest, depending what shakes out with other team's RFAs and arbitration situations?

When's Necas arbitration? 👀 Would be funny, Canes shooting for Tkachuk, then Pettersson, then 4th OA and then settling for Hoglander and some draft picks.

The main issue with this has nothing to do with Hoglander really. The main thing is trading Hoglander now locks them in to acquiring someone with around a 3.5m cap hit, and that's with a 22 man roster. Possible to also include Podkolzin and boost that to 4.5m. However, if they decide to stay under the cap and accrue space they'd be able to bring in much more substantial, cap hit-wise, upgrades closer to the deadline.

Personally, I have no problems trading both if the return makes sense.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kent Johnson strikes me as the antithesis of a Tocchet player. he's heat wave butter soft, small and slow. maybe he gets stronger and less soft over the next couple years, but he's basically a (much) worse version of Kuzmenko.

To an extent maybe. I don't really see the comparison with Kuzmenko though. The thing is, it's obviously a gamble...but the idea being, getting him to play "Tocchet hockey", maybe having a guy like JT Miller who has a very similar skillset to mentor him a little bit...if you can get Kent to play with more intensity, you're getting a heck of a player.

He's still young enough that he could be malleable. That's what you'd be wagering on there.

Expect Boqvist to put up some nice numbers in Florida next year.

It's Florida, so anything is possible. He'll have opportunity to post points there for sure with both Montour and OEL gone. But he's just...not that good. And hasn't been able to stay healthy either.

So they're really going to be putting that magic Florida defenceman water to work with Boqvist if they get a lot out of him this year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably but he will need to grow his game to stay in the NHL long term just seems a bit overwhelmed out there and I think his development might have screwed him up but at that price worth the risk.

Also florida is a great place to shelter his weaknesses.
I thought Boqvist is a kid the Canucks might have been interested in. Drafted one place after Quinn Hughes in the 2018 draft.

He's not 'big' at 6' and 189, and his early career has been marred by injury. But he had the misfortune of starting his career with the Hawks; before being traded to the Blue Jackets. They might be two of the worst teams in the league for a young d-man to try and break into the lineup as a regular.

But clearly the Canucks scouts didn't show much interest. And although he signed in Florida, they still only offered him a one year, two-way contract at close to the league minimum. So obviously they're hedging their bets as well.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
To an extent maybe. I don't really see the comparison with Kuzmenko though. The thing is, it's obviously a gamble...but the idea being, getting him to play "Tocchet hockey", maybe having a guy like JT Miller who has a very similar skillset to mentor him a little bit...if you can get Kent to play with more intensity, you're getting a heck of a player.

He's still young enough that he could be malleable. That's what you'd be wagering on there.
I don't see the Miller comp at all. Like he is almost the exact opposite type of player. Miller is an elite skater, shooter and physical presence on the ice. Johnson likes to dangle and distribute, avoids high traffic and throws hits about as frequently as Kuzmenko (ie almost never). they both have good hands and want the puck on their stick, but i don't see that they play the game the same way at all.

You are right that if he played with (a lot) more intensity and added some strength and speed, he could be a good player for someone....I just wouldn't be confident in that being us.

Reactions: MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad