Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would assume they like Carrier but then would want a larger RD and LD as well. Like Carrier, Myers, and Dillon.

I don't think they chase size as much as what Tocchet has led us to believe... Still, Zadorov could be signed tomorrow and that all changes.

Tanev and Carrier, I think, are their priorities on the right side. Marino via trade, if he comes available.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Watching these playoffs, I really do think a huge part of the game when the intensity gets ramped up is the forecheck, both creating your own and beating your opponent's forecheck. R1 vs Nashville I think the team did okay here, but in R2 the Oilers were clearly superior, especially as the series went on and both teams learned each other's tendencies.

This team needs another dman on the roster who can move the puck effectively under heavy pressure instead of just chipping the puck out to survive, last year wasn't good enough, it felt like both the bottom 2 pairings would rely way too much on just chipping the puck out in the playoffs, Zadorov and Myers can skate the puck out but they lack the skills/fluidity to pass the puck under pressure, you need another guy on this team who can pass the puck out since that leads to cleaner breakouts and gets the puck into the hands of a forward on the zone entry instead of a dman just carrying it in while the forwards cautiously trail behind to cover him.

You also need an effective F1 forechecker next to Petey. Hoglander was that guy during the reg season but struggled in the playoffs so ideally the 3rd member of this line is skilled enough to play with Petey but can also forecheck effectively as well. No Lafferty types with Petey for the love of God. Suter I thought did a nice(and underrated) job in this role with Miller/Boeser. If you lose Joshua then you also need someone to replace him in that F1 role too, Garland is pretty effective as the F2 despite his size.

I'd be hesitant to overpay Zadorov as much as I love him, and if they miss out on Guentzel I'd be hesitant to chase Toffoli, I'd actually be tempted to pivot and reallocate more dollars on the blueline if you can land a Roy or DeMelo and then look for value on wingers or explore the trade market for them. I'd only sign guys like Myers/Dillon if they're reasonably paid as #5 dmen.

Keeping consistency and being even-keeled are valuable characteristics during the regular season but during the post-season you have to make adjustments.

As you say the Canucks did not deal well with the Oilers forecheck. I do wonder how much of that is the forwards not providing opportunities or openings for the dmen. I hope Tocchet learns from this years playoffs.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Nichuskin would look good on either of our top lines, don't really care how he likes to party if he comes on the cheap. He's at that age where another wake up call might be the charm.

Hertl I wanted pre-deadline, and I would be kicking tires there as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Finally, this interminable Cup playoffs are at end.....what we saw tonight is why only one team in NHL history that's gone down 0-3 in a series has come back to win. Just too tough, with all the travel and physical play.

What conclusions can be drawn from these two teams? How far are the Canucks anyway from the teams in final four?

One thing is for certain. By necessity, this Canuck roster could look a lot different by this time next week.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nichuskin would look good on either of our top lines, don't really care how he likes to party if he comes on the cheap. He's at that age where another wake up call might be the charm.

Hertl I wanted pre-deadline, and I would be kicking tires there as well.
Yikes cocaine bear and a guy with bad knees on long term contracts sounds great

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Playoffs this year have taught us:

1. Top end firepower is crucial - great special teams is crucial.
  2. Top 9 F & Top 4 D have to be great, bottom pairing & 4th line can be revolving AHLers, upper end of the lineup is much more important.
  3. Goaltending is overrated, team defence & coaching adjustments can affect goalie performance.
  4. Size, Strength, Speed, Grit, Determination, Will, Intensity, Physicality Matter a lot more in the playoffs than they do in the regular season.
I disagree that we didn't know all of this.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Yikes cocaine bear and a guy with bad knees on long term contracts sounds great
Cocaine bear sounds pretty good about now.

Beats the hell outta Toffoli, and while I like Guentzel... a small retention on each and you could damn near fit both those guys for the same price.

I think i'd prefer players likely to LTIR or void vs players that are likely to just plain suck in 4 years.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Cocaine bear sounds pretty good about now.

Beats the hell outta Toffoli, and while I like Guentzel... a small retention on each and you could damn near fit both those guys for the same price.

I think i'd prefer players likely to LTIR or void vs players that are likely to just plain suck in 4 years.
You mean the same Nichushkin who couldn't even play in the last two playoffs?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Nichushkin will miss the rest of 2024... at a minimum. He has to apply to be reinstated.

You think you're buying low on a troubled player but he is just not available in a meaningful time frame.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Seeing what Florida got away with on D, you don't really need to pay a third pairing dman 5 million, you can find other options. ie Dillon or Edmundson.
hell u can find a younger dman project who isnt in other teams plans anymore making maybe 500-700k playing on your third pairing and if they begin to shine they could be signed to a bigger deal and raise later on. i.e forsling.

Tomorrow sounds like a great day for a Zadorov extension
or wednesday. maybe before draft day lets get this offseason going.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Seeing what Florida got away with on D, you don't really need to pay a third pairing dman 5 million, you can find other options. ie Dillon or Edmundson.
i agree to an extent but i've been thinking a lot about what a zadorov contract would look like and i start to wonder if we're undervaluing solid bottom pairing defensemen that can play second pair minutes. myers and cole had ATOI of ~18 min/game. pettersson, miller, and boeser were at 18-19 min/game. zadorov and soucy are at 17 min/game. given how many forward vs defensemen positions there are, you're probably better off paying the right defensemen money and looking for bargain bin contracts on forward.

maybe i'm letting the zadorov aura get to me, but i really don't want to go into next season with noah juulsen as the #6. and i'd much rather be paying zadorov 5m instead of a cole re-tread at 3m.

Feb 19, 2018
Trader Jim and PA about to cook, I don’t see a scenario where we don’t make a move or 2 on draft day. I have a feeling Garland will be a surprise move because moving off Mikheyev will be too expensive.

I can see us moving into the second round or very late in the 1st to a team looking to balance out the roster. I have a feeling Garland drops back to the previous years production without Joshua on his wing and we’d be smart to move off him.

Reactions: oceanchild
Feb 19, 2018
In no circumstance can you rely on Tyler Myers playing in your top 4, we have seen that movie before when he plays more minutes. That money and the Tucker Poolman LTIR has to go to Chris Tanev and we no doubt have the inside track there.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
As I said before, Garland should be playing with Miller and Boeser. If we're going to keep him on the 3rd line it's a waste, especially at his salary. If we're not bring back Joshua then might as well build a new 3rd line on the cheap. Plenty of players out there could be had one cheap one year prove it type deals that they can cash in as UFAs in 2025. Also a few will be available after being bought out or not qualified. Pay the top players fairly but no more $4 million 3rd line players.

Bottom 6 players I'm looking at July 1:
Fischer, Heinen, Sherwood, Girgensens, Zohorna, Tufte, Duhaime, Greer, Amadio, WCarrier, Stenlund, Blackwell, Joseph, Jost, Aubé-Kubel, Zucker, Trenin, OBrien
Via trade:
Malenstyn, Torpochenko, Jeannot, Kunin, Kostin, Eller, Evans, Olivier, Kuraly, DHunt, Lauko, Leason

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I don't think they chase size as much as what Tocchet has led us to believe... Still, Zadorov could be signed tomorrow and that all changes.

Tanev and Carrier, I think, are their priorities on the right side. Marino via trade, if he comes available.
I think as long as they have two giants across two D-pairings (Soucy and Zadorov/Myers/Dillon) they are doing fine for size on the backend.

I suspect Carrier will be one of their UFA priorities. Size is not as important if you can actually defend and get the puck out of your zone which he does very well. I think he would be great on a pair with Zadorov.

Where Vancouver will have a size issue is up front at forward. Especially if they sign Guentzel, and even more so if they lose Joshua. Too many diminutive wingers like Garland, Hoglander, Suter, PDG.

I would not be shocked at all if they try and adjust the forward mix to add more size to that supporting cast. They need a faster and heavier forecheck to free up the puck for their skilled players.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
32 Thoughts (paraphrasing after one listen so please take with a grain of salt and don’t nitpick word choice like last time):

• Friedman says there will be more teams in on Guentzel that we wouldn’t have thought of.
  • Friedman wonders about the Kings.
  • Marek suggests the Golden Knights.
  • Friedman doesn’t shoot VGK down (but qualifies they need to think about extending Eichel still).
  • Just not sure if Vancouver can do it.
  • Thinks Carolina is still in it.
  • Wouldn’t be surprised if a team trades for his rights just to understand if they have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad