Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
32 Thoughts (paraphrasing after one listen so please take with a grain of salt and don’t nitpick word choice like last time):
  • Wouldn’t be surprised if a team trades for his rights just to understand if they have a chance.

Ugh, as much as I don't want to part with Mikheyev, you may have to make that sacrifice to trade for Guenztel's rights.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Florida and Edmonton both didn’t have the most punishing defense cores and relied on cohesiveness, speed and movement. Love Zadorov but no need to drop $5M+ on him. In fact, he’s probably going to get like $6M based on this market lol

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Oh Guentzel doesn’t want to sign here? Darn. No backsies.

Similar to us asking our UFAs for discounts, this is one of those situations where we can credibly play the sentiment card for players, beyond just monetary value of contracts.

With playoff's end, Mr. Clean can get going. First item on the agenda, call Mik and politely tell him to go f*** himself.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Demelo contract a good litmus test for the upcoming market.

Seems like any of those Top-4 RHD are 5-6MM for sure (Roy, Walker, Tanev).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Walker is not a decent top4 wouldn't pay him more than 3.5

Tanev as good defensively as he is a no show in the offensive zone. Anything above 4 and with term is gonna be bad

Roy is a really good underrated shut down defenseman. Of these 3 he's the one who you can pay like DeMelo and be happy about. Kings letting him walk will have yet another hole to fill especially if Clarke and Spence are supposed to help an aging Doughty.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Latest 32 Thoughts Summary:

Blue Jackets:
-Todd Nelson on Waddell's radar as their next head coach

Ullmark Trade:
-under the impression that unless Ullmark gets the extension he wants, he will go to UFA
-a manager called him and told him that the media got the story wrong; he doesn't believe that the Senators were on Ullmark's on NTC
-heard there were a couple of other teams in the mix; assumes Carolina was one

Coyotes:
-got a text during the game that this was going on
-will become an expansion franchise

McGroarty:
-was told to be ready for a trade before the draft
-talks broke down after they wouldn't add him to the roster last year and told him he would have to compete for a spot this year
-great deal of interest in him
-teams were already in conversation with the Jets before it went public

Flyers:
-Michkov scared off teams last year
-Michkov made it very clear he wanted to play for the Flyers
-something was going on with Ottawa but not sure if that's going to happen now
-thinks the Konecny talks have gone slower than both sides would have liked

Guentzel:
-a lot bubbling under the surface
-some really good teams that you wouldn't think can sign him are trying to figure out how they can make a pitch for him
-wonders about the Kings
-mentions the Hurricanes
-really doesn't know that the Canucks can pull this off
-teams might need to perform some surgery
-doesn't know about Vegas but they need to plan for an Eichel extension
-don't be surprised if a team you're not expecting tries to trade for his rights to see what it's going to take and what surgery they have to do

Jarry:
-was told there was someone else available and figured out they meant Jarry
-health is the big concern
-something going on out there

Libor Hajek:
-looking to make a return to the NHL

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Can’t wait for the summer to kick off.

Based on Demelo deal, I think he is slightly better than Zadorov I think Zadorov will should come in at around 4.75.

However, Zadorov is flashy and will likely get over 5.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Wonder if we couldn't sign Debrusk and Skinner for less than Guentzel.

Been zero smoke around Debrusk so don't think it's likely, but it's a door I'd at least knock on before dumping all our depth into Guentzel's bank account.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
Anyone posting us getting 2 or 3 of the top defenseman in UFA are not living in reality. Hey, let’s get Roy, or Demelo over Zadorov! Debrusk and Marchessault over Guentzel.

Those players would actually need to want to sign with you over every other team. If a player is actually interested in your team, you have to do your best to see if it works or not.

You wanna improve your team without giving up assets? Well you have to accept that certain contracts will have risks attached to it.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
i agree to an extent but i've been thinking a lot about what a zadorov contract would look like and i start to wonder if we're undervaluing solid bottom pairing defensemen that can play second pair minutes. myers and cole had ATOI of ~18 min/game. pettersson, miller, and boeser were at 18-19 min/game. zadorov and soucy are at 17 min/game. given how many forward vs defensemen positions there are, you're probably better off paying the right defensemen money and looking for bargain bin contracts on forward.

maybe i'm letting the zadorov aura get to me, but i really don't want to go into next season with noah juulsen as the #6. and i'd much rather be paying zadorov 5m instead of a cole re-tread at 3m.

Forget about #6, what about a #3/#4 to play RD with Soucy? How about we acquire one of those before paying a third pairing LD guy five million to slide up in case of injuries?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Damn, nice deal on DeMelo, I'd call that around probably a ~10% discount on what he could have potentially gotten at market. AFP had him at $5.3M AAV. For reference, have Matt Roy at $5.8M AAV and Carrier at $4M AAV. Tanev at $4.5M AAV and Myers at $3.1M AAV.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Rumours persist that Lindholm will become a Boston Bean on July 1st.

Too bad the Canucks won't use the power of the 8th year to resign him.

It will be intriguing to see the moves they make to compensate.

So much for adding to last years' roster.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
31 yr old Demelo @ 5mil....damn...nice contract for him

Makes me feel even better that we got Hronek signed for all of his prime years at 7.2mil.

That's not all that old in this free-agent class. Most of the guys are 29+ on the right side except for Carrier. Tanev and Myers are obviously even older and they'll easily get the contracts they want.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Rumours persist that Lindholm will become a Boston Bean on July 1st.

Too bad the Canucks won't use the power of the 8th year to resign him.

It will be intriguing to see the moves they make to compensate.

So much for adding to last years' roster.

It takes 2 to tango.

Why would Boston give up assets when they know they have Lindholm pretty much signed sealed and delivered?

Maybe they dont want to sign Lindholm to 8 yrs... Maybe they only want 5-6 yr contract.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
If we miss out on Guentzel....id rather go through the trade avenue to try and obtain a top 6 winger rather than settling for old slow farts like Tyler Tofolli.

As per usual, the playoffs this year once again showed us that its all about speed speed speed.

Ehlers please.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Forget about #6, what about a #3/#4 to play RD with Soucy? How about we acquire one of those before paying a third pairing LD guy five million to slide up in case of injuries?
I wouldn't look at it as a 3rd pairing guy 5M to slide up in case of injuries, I'm just saying you need 3-4 defensemen other than Hughes-Hronek who can put in 17-19 minutes per game. My point is that we're happy to pay a second line forward (for example) 5M but balking at that cost for a player who is on the ice more than the forward, and maybe we need to re-assess that valuation.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The one team that scares me in a Guentzel sweepstakes is Vegas. They have very few quality wingers if Marchessault leaves. Stone is running out of gas. And Vegas seems to appeal more than any other market to star players.

I could also see Colorado get involved if they are pessimistic about Nichuskin or Landeskog’s availability.

And I could see Dallas get creative with their salary cap if they wanted to get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad