Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | League Wide Chaos

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Last one was over 1,000. Use this thread to discuss league-wide trade and free agent rumours. The Around the League thread is for coaching changes, league news, SCF chat, etc.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: June 27th, evening; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration). This buyout period ends June 30th. 8:00pm.
Team-Elected Arbitration: June 26th, evening
NHL Awards: June 27th
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: June 30th
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited:

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The Yzerplan officially busted unless there's a 2nd part of the deal to this. garage sale swapped himself into losing his vinyl collection and $18.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

So the Red Wings turned around and used that 2nd to get the Sharks to take Jake Walman. However, I thought Jake Walman was one of their good defencemen? What the hell is this.

I don't understand those moves for Detroit at all

Obviously clearing for some sort of big move ...

Stevie Y clearing room for more middle 6 forwards and #5 dmen on July 1

... which in Detroit terms is probably this.

What a ludicrously good deal for SJ. If they would have PAID a 2nd for Walman I wouldn't have questioned it. I'm not sure how no other NHL team didn't just jump at getting Walman for free.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Elias Lindholm feels like a real Red Wings/Yzerman-type player.

With Copp and Compher they could really corner the market on overpaid 50-point two-way Cs.

Getting less confident in the offseason transactions as the days progress.

Probably just PTSD. I hope.

I don't have a terribly good feeling right now.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Getting less confident in the offseason transactions as the days progress.

Probably just PTSD. I hope.

No, they're in a tough spot if they can't move Mikheyev. There will probably be very limited room to improve the top six and at least maintain the level of play from last year's blue line. I do think they'll circle back on guys like Joshua and Blueger if they strike out, but probably the best case scenario would be bringing back a very similar line-up to last year with pretty marginal improvements at forward.

I suspect Zadorov is gone without a Mikheyev move, and they'll transition on getting Dillon at a lower rate to try and do some things elsewhere.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
No, they're in a tough spot if they can't move Mikheyev. There will probably be very limited room to improve the top six and at least maintain the level of play from last year's blue line. I do think they'll circle back on guys like Joshua and Blueger if they strike out, but probably the best case scenario would be bringing back a very similar line-up to last year with pretty marginal improvements at forward.
I just hope they don't force anything and overpay if they miss out on their targets, there's always the trade market and the ufa's who get overlooked. I don't think getting into a bidding war for Toffoli or DeBrusk is prudent.

Reactions: pitseleh and Vector

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
What makes this weird is that Detroit didnt really need to Trade Walmans 3mil to clear up cap space to pursuit a big time free agent. They already have something like 30 mil cap space. Maybe they traded an RD because they will be going after another RD. My feeling is they are looking to make a big splash with an RD + 1 more big time player.

Tanev + Guentzel?

I dont trust the Yzer plan, I think he has done very poorly in Detroit.

Reactions: bossram

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I just hope they don't force anything and overpay if they miss out on their targets, there's always the trade market and the ufa's who get overlooked. I don't think getting into a bidding war for Toffoli or DeBrusk is prudent.

I think they will pivot to the Toffoli, Duclair, Mantha level of forward UFAs in this case. You can probably cobble together a blue line (swapping Dillon for Zadorov at approx. half the cap hit) and get one of the lower-level scoring UFAs under the cap, even with Mikheyev. Then maybe swap Myers out for Carrier. Joshua probably also gone based on his rumoured contract level.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Bump

What baseball term will best fit the Canuck's management over the next two weeks? .

"Swung on and BELTED"

or

"Swing and a miss, strike three"

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Sat basically telegraphed this probably directly from Canucks PR the other day. They think Mikheyev will bounce back and are happy to keep him. Makes me sick, as this boat anchor of a deal will probably prevent them from making meaningful changes elsewhere and could well cost them Zadorov.

I think that's all just optics/PR spin. While I can see Mikheyv bouncing back as his knee recovers more, I think the reality is that this management isn't willing to pay the cost (think 2025 first or equivalent value) to get rid of Mikheyev. They just don't have the draft capital and prospects to comfortably make a trade of that type. Now, whether they should anyway is a different matter.

Keeping Mikheyev would be incredibly disappointing. I get they have had success with patience before (Boeser, Garland, and Myers) but the expectations from everyone were a lot lower.
I think the reality is that they don't have the draft capital / prospects to comfortably move a first round pick in 2025 (while not picking in 2024) to move Mikheyev's contract. And who knows if they even get a taker at that.

The Canucks have two "blue chip" prospects that aren't likely even considered "top" prospects in the NHL. And they don't have a ton of depth otherwise. Pretty middling. And they have only a third round pick in this year's draft, and have traded their third round picks in 2025 and 2026.

This is not a team that is a position to comfortably move what amounts to a first round pick just to clear Mikeyev's salary. Perhaps they should anyway, but this management doesn't want to just compete for 2-3 years or whatever, they will be chasing the unicorn perpetual playoff team so that they stay employed for as long as possible.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think that's all just optics/PR spin. While I can see Mikheyv bouncing back as his knee recovers more, I think the reality is that this management isn't willing to pay the cost (think 2025 first or equivalent value) to get rid of Mikheyev. They just don't have the draft capital and prospects to comfortably make a trade of that type. Now, whether they should anyway is a different matter.

Yes, absolutely agree. They would love to move him, but aren't going to shout it from the rafters. I think having that salary around really hampers them though, as it's probably the equivalent of keeping at least one free agent, and possibly adding a material UFA at forward. Hopefully they bite the bullet at some point, and just get rid of him.

I can't help but think, though, that given the state of the farm system they may just opt to keep him and retain the futures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad