Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Ideally the Canucks can extract a 3rd or whatever it takes for Lindholm then turn around and swap that for Guentzel.

Agreed, and I don't understand why they aren't doing that. Unless they somehow already know that Guentzel is coming here. The same agent as Boeser isn't he? Maybe they somehow heard it thru the grapevine.

Agreed though, knowing that Lindholm is not coming back. Trade his rights away for a pick.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Could not disagree more.

1) They are clearly prioritizing scoring in the top 6. Lindholm is nice to have at a certain number but generally redundant.

2) They were considered a contender and the costs to acquire both were fair market value (actually cheaper in Z's). Keeping one would be nice but neither were an expectation when acquired.
Revision is the best hived argument.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Jalen Chatfield:
-was on the Canucks radar and would have been interested if he hit UFA
-would have got more on the market
-cost of living is much cheaper in Carolina; owner reminds agents of this

Canucks Misc:
-cost of living expenses hurt Vancouver and Toronto; these two teams will have to pay a little bit more for players in the 1m-3m range because of this
-rent scares some people
-taxes take half of their salary
-thinks all of Joshua, Myers, Blueger, and Zadorov are still in the mix to be re-signed
-working on trades; working on clearing Mikheyev

Jake Guentzel:
-not true that he only wants to sign in the USA
-was very excited at the possibility of ending up in Vancouver at the trade deadline
-history with Tocchet and management
-there is a match to be made here

Filip Hronek:
-lots of trade talk around Hronek but really feels signing him is priority #1
-has a good arbitration case
-did hear some positive talks a while back but then heard it got quiet again
-a lot of people in the hockey world feel that the high 6m range is a fair offer
-can't find anyone that thinks he's worth 8m
-believes high 6m or low 7m will get it done
-Quinn Hughes gets people paid; Schenn and Tanev as examples
-doesn't understand why Walsh won't meet in the middle

Dakota Joshua:
-wants to return and the Canucks want him back
-not hearing much is going on
-Canucks are well aware of his number;
-double digit teams after him

Nikita Zadorov:
-quiet on him
-player and agent want to re-sign in Vancouver
-no sense of urgency from the Canucks
-will get a long look from Maple Leafs

Sam Lafferty:
-been talks with Lafferty's agent and more expected next week
-door is not closed 100%
-lots of teams will have interest and maybe one foot is out the door
-his camp is surprised he wasn't killing penalties

Myers & Blueger:
-both agents for Myers and Blueger are willing to be patient with the Canucks until they figure out their top-6 forward and top-4 defenceman situation
-not worried about Myers as both sides want a reunion and know the range it will take to get it done
-lots of dialogue with Blueger and not hearing anything negative there

Brandon Duhaime:
-if Lafferty leaves, will have interest in Duhaime
-had interest at the deadline and that has not gone away

Brenden Dillon:
-if Zadorov leaves, they can get Dillon

dez

Mar 3, 2012
So, do his rights get moved? For ... anything:? And when? (Asking everybody, not just you.)
That would be smart, Devils got a 3rd round pick for Severson, Canucks should be able to get same or maybe 2 picks for the 8th year term. That would make adding sweetners for Mik more palatable.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I wouldn't read too much into the reports that Canucks will not re-sign these players.

The Canucks will not re-sign these players at their current ask. It's possible that all of them walk. Lindholm makes little sense - he's a 1b center and the Canucks already have two 1a centers. The Canucks have been pretty consistent about paying players what they see their value is, not what the player's agent does. Even Pettersson could have gotten more but he blinked when the Canucks solicited trade offers. When Horvat wouldn't budge they re-signed Miller instead and eventually moved Horvat.

I don't mind them "losing" a Hronek trade. They got a year out of him and got a good look at what he brings. He wasn't brought in to be Hughes' partner. He excelled there but there wasn't a lot of evidence that he can drive his own pairing. The Devon Toews contract is absolutely the top end of what Hronek should make. The Canucks shouldn't be shy about trading for players and seeing if there is a mutual fit. If Hronek wants to stay in Vancouver, the decision is his hands.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
That would be smart, Devils got a 3rd round pick for Severson, Canucks should be able to get same or maybe 2 picks for the 8th year term. That would make adding sweetners for Mik more palatable.
Only Van can sign him to an 8 year deal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm someone who is a big believer in momentum, 'vibe' around the team, sense of direction playing into the results a team generates more than just looking at names on paper and trying to project.

If the team loses warriors like Joshua and Zadorov while keeping a non-contributor like Mikheyev, I'd bet we'll see a massive sag in performance next year. This is what happened in 2007 when management didn't back up the players, and this is what happened in 2020 when management didn't back up the players.

There is a 0% chance that you'd see Mikheyev back if he was on TB or Vegas. This is a litmus test for management to get shit done and be a cutthroat big boy club, and if they end up bringing back Mikheyev over Zadorov/Joshua it's just a massive failure.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Per Rick - Zadorov wants to stay in van and doesn’t wanna play anywhere else
I bought in to big Zaddy during the playoffs for sure. I just don't know how they keep Hronek and Zad while also improving the top 6.

Zad showed a pretty solid offensive ability in the playoffs, and I know it runs counter to the Tocchet doctrine but I wonder if he is able to play the right side next to Hughes?

A defense with Zad, Dillon and maybe Tanev, replacing Cole and Hronek, appears more balanced if perhaps less offensively gifted. It's a big risk, we know, especially on that top pairing. I don't love it. But it could work, and the assets brought back from a Hronek deal (and maybe a deal for Lindholm's rights) could help move the Mikheyev contract.

Big decisions for the bald brain trust ahead.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I'm someone who is a big believer in momentum, 'vibe' around the team, sense of direction playing into the results a team generates more than just looking at names on paper and trying to project.

If the team loses warriors like Joshua and Zadorov while keeping a non-contributor like Mikheyev, I'd bet we'll see a massive sag in performance next year. This is what happened in 2007 when management didn't back up the players, and this is what happened in 2020 when management didn't back up the players.

There is a 0% chance that you'd see Mikheyev back if he was on TB or Vegas. This is a litmus test for management to get shit done and be a cutthroat big boy club, and if they end up bringing back Mikheyev over Zadorov/Joshua it's just a massive failure.
Well said. I have my faith they are able to see as clear as you. If not I'm not going to be a happy camper with them.

Those boys clearly gave us an identity we were lacking for the last decade. Very important we bring them back.

Buyout Mik if you have to if it means you can retain them.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well said. I have my faith they are able to see as clear as you. If not I'm not going to be a happy camper with them.

Those boys clearly gave us an identity we were lacking for the last decade. Very important we bring them back.

Buyout Mik if you have to if it means you can retain them.

Like, the players aren't stupid. They know what's working and what isn't, and they know we were pretty close last year and what needs to happen to put us over the top.

And it's absolutely deflating when that doesn't happen and you watch your most popular teammates leave while the non-contributors stay and you know the Cup just got further away. This was exactly what happened in 20-21.

For the record, I think the team is trying to play hardball with everyone and then seeing who (or if anyone cracks) and where they can get the best deals before moving upward and starting to meet demands on some of these guys. But it's a dangerous game to be playing.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Has Vegas or TB ever dumped a player with as much negative value as Mikheyev. I don’t think it’s about being cutthroat, I think it’s about the Canucks have very little futures and not wanting to buy him out because the OEL buy out.

Probably need to attach the 2025 first, or if we are lucky EP 2 and a second or third to get rid of him. And the reality is this management team absolutely isn’t willing to burn everything for a 2-3 year stretch and get fired in 4-5 years. Almost all management teams at this stage in their cycle are tiring to catch lightning in a bottle and be that consistent playoff team ala Carolina.

dez

Mar 3, 2012

Mik would be the 2024 version of Jake. And trading for Laine is the OEL trade lol

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

I think I've been pretty vocal in support of bringing back Joshua and suggested a four year deal in December when it seemed outrageous to suggest such a thing. management rolled the dice that he would cool off and he didn't. That's on them.

re Mikheyev, I'd agree with this 100% if his issue was that he was too busy counting his money to care about hockey. He blew out a knew, shit sandwich delivered. no reason he can't bounce back to be the player he was signed to be. This argument really isn’t about Mikheyev or Joshua + Zadorov. They want to bring in Guentzel and there isn’t enough $$ for all 4.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Has Vegas or TB ever dumped a player with as much negative value as Mikheyev. I don’t think it’s about being cutthroat, I think it’s about the Canucks have very little futures and not wanting to buy him out because the OEL buy out.

Probably need to attach the 2025 first, or if we are lucky EP 2 and a second or third to get rid of him. And the reality is this management team absolutely isn’t willing to burn everything for a 2-3 year stretch and get fired in 4-5 years. Almost all management teams at this stage in their cycle are tiring to catch lightning in a bottle and be that consistent playoff team ala Carolina.

If it takes attaching the 2025 1st, that's what you do.

It's absolutely poisonous to give the team the impression of moving backward and that you aren't serious about doing what it takes to compete.

JT Miller and Quinn Hughes don't give a shit about the 2025 1st. They care about retaining guys like Zadorov and Joshua and building and moving forward. And if you are sitting there like 'wellllll it sure was really expensive to move the guy who had 1 goal in 60 games' you look like a not serious club.

TB managed to move Tyler Johnson in 2021 at the height of the flat cap stuff when he was coming off back-to-back sub 0.5 PPG seasons and had 3 years/$15 million remaining. Vegas managed to dump Dadonov at 1 year/$5 million.

Reactions: Nopefully and Hodgy

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Nikita Zadorov:
-final offer is coming soon
-player and agent would love to re-sign in Vancouver
-strictly about money
-talking big term
-if he was right handed they would have signed him months ago
-going to trying one last time to re-sign him
-mentions 6y/6m as a UFA

f*** it, if you are going to offer him 6-years, may as well offer him 7-years and lower the AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad