Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Seravalli on Mikheyev

As a result, teams are asking the Canucks to attach an asset to Mikheyev to move him, something they are balking at – saying that it takes a full year to recover from ACL repair, and Mikheyev should be much better next season.

If this is true, I really don't understand how Allvin and Rutherford are shocked nobody wants to simply take Mikheyev for free. Saying he "should be better" is basically going to get a "then keep him" response.

They supposed ran into the same issue at the TDL, which is a little worrisome because it feels like Rutherford is thinking old school "hockey trade" when that just doesn't happen often in a cap strapped world. We're not getting out of two years of Mikheyev without paying for it.

Reactions: VanillaCoke and dez

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Literally none of that confirms anything about current cap and insurance realities.
it's just shameless that you have a little ambiguity to shelter your baseless assertion in and you're clinging to it for dear life. "Perhaps there are aliens on the moon... Perhaps not, I believe there are, provide me a reason to believe they are not!" This game is lame and I've indulged you too long.

Is there any way the Mods can create a separate pinned Forum for all the Canucks Fans that don't want to resign Zadorov or Lindholm at their asking price but will endlessly moan about the price they cost to acquire once they leave.

It will be nearly as dull as the chatting between Punters that has descended like a Murder of Actuaries on the current Trade and Fantasy Forum.
So you're asking the mods to make you a safe place just for you?

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
There's a lot of cap recalibration that people are going to need to in there brains after this offseason.

Its been 4 years of a flat cap, and people have forgotten the days where 27 year old, one season with more than 30 goals Scott Gomez got 15% of the cap (13 million dollars plus in today's dollars!) because of the assumption it was just going to keep going up.

I don't think GMs will go that kind of crazy, but we did just see Chatfield, someone who's never averaged more than 15 minutes of TOI per game, get 3 million dollars and a NMC. He was an analytic darling, but had extremely cushy deployment and soft minutes alongside a close to 8 million dollar dman in Orlov.

Middle of the lineup players were squeezed out the last few years, and they're about to get paid. Key for the Canucks will be managing the new contracts for those middle of the six guys so they can still make the necessary acquisitions at the top.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Because I know GMs will go kind of crazy I want to spend that cap on top impact players and not glue guys, lol.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
any interest in luke kunin? maybe flip illya mikeheyv to the sharks or add a third team for shits and giggles haha. he can pk right handed plays rw/center. bang and crash.

Guentzel, Duhaime, and Dillon
guentzel,carrier/dillion

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
If the Canucks have money to give someone 7x7, they should look at Two time cup winner Chandler Stephenson. 5x5. Perfect third line Center that can be an option with Petterson. I’d take him over Lindholm.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I can see an inside track with Dillon and Tanev...but the two of them are both very...#4D types at this point in their career. They're old. I'm fine with acquiring both of them...but is needs to with someone else who is going to be more of a Top-3D with puck-moving ability.

I think the idea of Dillon/Tanev is if you feel like you cannot afford to go after Zadorov. I actually think limiting their contracts to two or three years would be smart business for the Canucks rather than getting into the 5/6/7 year deals you might need to sign Zadorov, Roy, Walker, Pesce etc. If I'm the Canucks GM, I am maintaining maximum cap flexibility for when the Quinn Hughes contract expires in three seasons.

Carrier is a tough on for me. He's a guy that i've been unreasonably high on since his draft year. You can go back and see that i had him listed as a 1st round value. lol. But in terms of fit...he's not going to work with Hughes. So you need to make sure you have a big, physical LHD opposite him on the second pairing if that's what we're doing. He'd be a solid partner for Zadorov or Soucy probably. Though small still, so not really how this regime has preferred to build their blueline.

I really like Carrier as a top-four acquisition for the Canucks. Given that he is only 27—there is again motivation to only sign a shorter-term deal (3/4 years) and then try to slingshot his value again while he is still in his prime UFA age.

I'm not that concerned his size. He's an inch shorter and 9 lbs less than Filip Hronek's recorded weight. Size hasn't been an issue for Carrier, and it wasn't for the Hughes-Hronek pairing, so I don't see why it would be an issue now.

He is a superb defender and would really help our team in the neutral zone and on zone exits. I think he would pair exceptionally well with Hughes, but also up or down the pairings too.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Canucks related tidbits from Friedman on 32 thoughts this morning:
  • Canucks have conceded on losing Lindholm
  • They will know in the next couple of days if there is any hope on Zadorov
  • Zadorov appears unlikely—but someone reached out to say it's not over yet (but might be soon)
  • Elliotte figured the odds on Vancouve re-signing Zadorov at being less than 50%

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Offseason shaping out to be
Replacing Joshua @3+ with Duhaime @1.8+
Replacing Zadorov @5+ with Dillion 3+
Re-sign Myers, Blueger
Sign Guenzel @9m+

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Canucks related tidbits from Friedman on 32 thoughts this morning:
  • Canucks have conceded on losing Lindholm
  • They will know in the next couple of days if there is any hope on Zadorov
  • Zadorov appears unlikely—but someone reached out to say it's not over yet (but might be soon)
  • Elliotte figured the odds on Vancouve re-signing Zadorov at being less than 50%

I do hope we are able to make something happen with Zadorov. I think his play style and personality are just so suited to the playoffs, and teams go crazy trying to acquire a guy like this. I just think he’ll be virtually impossible to replace, even with similar players.

And I just liked him a lot. As a player and a person. Would suck to see him go. Hopefully something can be worked out.

It does indeed seem like we are moving on from Lindholm and Joshua. Liked them both too - surprised that 7x7 wasn’t enough to get Lindhom done, and curious to see what Joshua gets. He’s earned a payday.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
32 Thoughts this morning.

Patrik Laine:
-were heading towards a trade last season
-had heard that when Laine was healthy enough to return last season, he was going to give permission to Laine's agent to explore a trade
-issue is his contract
-may have to add a sweetener

Kaapo Kakko:
-is prepared to play for New York
-everyone involved realizes that the sooner the salary question was answered, the sooner trade inquiries would come in
-Rangers will listen to trade offers

Canucks:
-conceded on Lindholm
-will know in the next few days if there's any hope on Zadorov; appears unlikely
-someone reached out to him and said talks aren't over yet with Zadorov but might be over soon
-Zadorov re-signing odds are less than 50%

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
As with previous regimes, the new Jim appears to be economizing in the wrong places.

The Canucks Don't need two 3rd line wingers making 5M with term: Mikheyev and Garland.

They do however need both a top Right Shot 200 Foot Centre and an Imposing DMan: Lindholm and Zadorov.

If not resigned, the acquisition of both players will be remembered as a vignette of desperation like the acquisition of Tofolli.

Bizarre Franchise.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
32 Thoughts this morning.

Patrik Laine:
-were heading towards a trade last season
-had heard that when Laine was healthy enough to return last season, he was going to give permission to Laine's agent to explore a trade
-issue is his contract
-may have to add a sweetener

Kaapo Kakko:
-is prepared to play for New York
-everyone involved realizes that the sooner the salary question was answered, the sooner trade inquiries would come in
-Rangers will listen to trade offers

Canucks:
-conceded on Lindholm
-will know in the next few days if there's any hope on Zadorov; appears unlikely
-someone reached out to him and said talks aren't over yet with Zadorov but might be over soon
-Zadorov re-signing odds are less than 50%

Want NOTHING to do with Laine, too much risk for us even at maximum retention.

I'm prepared to lose both Lindholm and General Zad - the numbers have to make sense, given our cap situation. It is what it is.

The way things are turning out does make me uneasy, but I remain hopeful that Moleman and Mr. Clean will make the right decisions, however difficult those decisions may be.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
At this point, I suspect the Canucks will keep Mik. The buy-out is far too onerous in the context of the long-term cap situation and he would be "fine" in a bottom six role and as a PKer. His value is so low right now that he is probably a better reclamation project than most of the other bad contract candidates who may be available in a trade. The team needs to hold on to its draft capital to acquire required pieces at the Deadline.

Reactions: Lindgren

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I wonder where Sammy Blais is going to end up next year. There was a little chatter about him leading up to the deadline, but he wasn't moved.

Same draft as Joshua, same size, same kind of predatory hitter.

He's had some decently bright flashes of offence along the way...though to say his career has been up and down would be an understatement. Injuries have been a problem.

Coming off a semi disastrous season after a white hot return to St Louis at the TDL in 22/23.

no special teams utility, but he could absolutely replace the physicality Joshua leaves behind (if he walks) or supplement it if he stays. can't imagine he's going to cost a ton.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
As with previous regimes, the new Jim appears to be economizing in the wrong places.
If not resigned, the acquisition of both players will be remembered as a vignette of desperation like the acquisition of Tofolli.

Bizarre Franchise.
Could not disagree more.

1) They are clearly prioritizing scoring in the top 6. Lindholm is nice to have at a certain number but generally redundant.

2) They were considered a contender and the costs to acquire both were fair market value (actually cheaper in Z's). Keeping one would be nice but neither were an expectation when acquired.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If you're willing to throw $7Mx7yr at Lindholm in an effort to contend during the 3 year window indicated by Hughes' contract, there are lot of centers under contract you can consider trading for:

Nazem Kadri ($7Mx5), William Karlsson ($6.1Mx3), J-G Pageau ($5Mx2), Logan Couture ($8Mx3) should all be on the Canucks radar.

Haven't heard his name mentioned anywhere but I wonder if Justin Schultz would be on the team's radar. Should come cheaper than his AFP contract projection (2y/2.4m), obvious strong connections to the coaching staff and management, BC boy, right shot defenceman that is a puck-mover. He'd be someone you can rotate Juulsen with to keep them both fresh.

Ehhhhh...hope there aren't any hard feelings. Penguins GM Rutherford rips Justin Schultz, leadership: ‘Changes need to be made’

• Wow
Reactions: Vector

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So, do his rights get moved? For ... anything:? And when? (Asking everybody, not just you.)
I think that’ll depend on how many teams are actually in on him. Right now, the rumors have only been Carolina & Boston I think (and I can’t even find where i read that)

Reactions: Lindgren

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If you're willing to throw $7Mx7yr at Lindholm in an effort to contend during the 3 year window indicated by Hughes' contract, there are lot of centers under contract you can consider trading for:

Nazem Kadri ($7Mx5), William Karlsson ($6.1Mx3), J-G Pageau ($5Mx2), Logan Couture ($8Mx3) should all be on the Canucks radar.

Ehhhhh...hope there aren't any hard feelings. Penguins GM Rutherford rips Justin Schultz, leadership: ‘Changes need to be made’
I'd be all for a Pageau swap for Mik.

I think he would do well in Tocchet's system as a reliable 3C.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So, do his rights get moved? For ... anything:? And when? (Asking everybody, not just you.)

Do his rights get moved?

Depends if there's enough of a market. He's the top centre and you'd think that a team like Boston would find it worth it to jump ahead. Trading rights is both very common and uncommon. Only happens if a team hears definitively, or knows themselves ,that the player won't be coming back.

The return?

Lindholm should garner a 3rd or 4th depending on how many teams are interested in getting his rights. Boston, for example, only has a 4th in this year's draft but do have a 3rd in next year's. So the ask would probably be Boston's 4th and see if anyone can beat that.

When?

At or before the draft. The draft is taking place very close to the start of UFA period. (June 28th & 29th then July 1st). I'd imagine teams would want a little bit more time than that so it would most likely happen in the next two weeks prior to the draft. I would lean towards the 24th-25th.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I have a feeling that Zadorov comes back. Lindholm and Joshua are both walking but I think Zad is the guy that leaves a little bit on the table for some longterm security in a market that he enjoys and a locker room he's got chemistry with.

Any chance we can get this post pinned on the front page of this thread going forward?

Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad