Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Will they stay or will they go, now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Some important offseason date:

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

lol heck that Young Stars Classic is gonna be bleak this summer.

Do we even have any young stars?

Willander presumably won't be there because NCAA. So outside of that...lol.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They were able to effectively move Tanner Pearson.
By trading a 3rd and taking on DeSmith’s contract. We moved a second to get rid of Dickinson and took on Stillman.

As much a DeSmith worked out here moving him wasn’t easy.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Looking around, I don't really see a way to make another Pearson trade with Mikheyev and a pick/prospect. There aren't a lot of sellers this off-season and Mikheyev's two more years are very prohibitive. The closest I could find would be Greenway and Dvorak. Otherwise you're looking at some I listed earlier like Pageau and Jensen. Another name to add to the list would be Justin Holl, has really not worked out in Detroit and has another 2 years at 3.4m. That might be the closest you can get with a Pearson trade. Mikehyev & 2nd/3rd/Prospect for Justin Holl.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
What L?

Do you have any concrete indications that Poolman's contract is insured? I'd say it's still far more likely that not that it isn't.

It's actually the opposite. The far far far far far more likely that his contract is insured. NHL contracts not being insured is very rare and the baseline stance has to be that it's insured unless reported otherwise.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looking around, I don't really see a way to make another Pearson trade with Mikheyev and a pick/prospect. There aren't a lot of sellers this off-season and Mikheyev's two more years are very prohibitive. The closest I could find would be Greenway and Dvorak. Otherwise you're looking at some I listed earlier like Pageau and Jensen. Another name to add to the list would be Justin Holl, has really not worked out in Detroit and has another 2 years at 3.4m. That might be the closest you can get with a Pearson trade. Mikehyev & 2nd/3rd/Prospect for Justin Holl.

The DeSmith thing was also just such a weird specific pressure point at a position of need for the Canucks.

The Habs having like...way too many goaltenders. From the minute they acquired DeSmith, he was basically informed that he was moving somewhere else and didn't get at all settled in with Montreal. Hence, having Penguins gear when he played his first games for the Canucks.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's actually the opposite. The far far far far far more likely that his contract is insured. NHL contracts not being insured is very rare and the baseline stance has to be that it's insured unless reported otherwise.

Do you have any actual concrete evidence of this?

Most of what i've read is that the majority of contracts aren't insured, because the premiums become prohibitive. It's more like...the Top half dozen or so contracts that are worth insuring.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Most of what i've read is that the majority of contracts aren't insured, because the premiums become prohibitive. It's more like...the Top half dozen or so contracts that are worth insuring.

Where have you read this because everything I've ever read is the opposite and I'd say the burden of proof falls on you. Otherwise the story about Ferland's contract not being insured wouldn't have mattered.

Reactions: Wisp

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Where have you read this because everything I've ever read is the opposite and I'd say the burden of proof falls on you. Otherwise the story about Ferland's contract not being insured wouldn't have mattered.

I mean, Ferland's deal was also not in the top half dozen contracts for Vancouver at the time. Which would also contribute to it becoming a story. If they were seeking to try to insure it outside of being one of the biggest deals, that would raise some red flags about how concerned they were about his health in the first place. Which would be a red flag that gets reported on.

But i think that speaks to the fact that not every contract is insured. Most aren't. Heck, a quick googling one of the first results is an article quoting Rutherford himself talking about how it's cost prohibitive to insure every contract.

NHL Insurance Plan Covers Player Contracts For Seven Years

It was a big deal when Arizona were accumulating tens of millions of dollars of "LTIRetirement" salary with guys like Pronger, Voracek, etc. When the Vegases were acquiring Shea Weber. It was noted in most of those transactions that the salary was insured. And it was i believe an issue when it came to Clarkson's contract which was insured, being swapped for Horton's contract which was not. Where the Leafs basically used that to "buy" some cap relief from their exchange of dead players in exchange for actual cash payout.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Justin Holl was healthy scratched for like half the season on a non playoff team. he has the same duration risk as Mikheyev and at 32 with a decade of pro hockey under his belt, it'd be a stretch to assume he's going to suddenly find his game. Also, It would be quite a conversation with Myers and his agent about why he should take less money than an almost unplayable 3rd pair guy. Seems like they'd have to be adding the 2nd here...and even then it's not super appealing.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
What L?

Do you have any concrete indications that Poolman's contract is insured? I'd say it's still far more likely than not that it isn't.

I agree with @Vector

For normal healthy players, I understand that the vast majority of contracts are insured. The Ferland one was notable because he had concussions before and there were issues with the insurance (or cost thereof) and it was rumoured because of that the contract wasn't insured.

@biturbo19 , are you thinking about the cost to insure players playing in IIHF/Olympics? I have heard the premiums are often too high for these and players just don't play as a result, or sometimes take the risk.,

EDIT: thanks for the link @biturbo19 . Interesting information. I wonder if things have changed as it has been almost 20 years since the article. Ultimately, it seems dependent on the cost of insurance premiums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I agree with @Vector

For normal healthy players, I understand that the vast majority of contracts are insured. The Ferland one was notable because he had concussions before and there were issues with the insurance (or cost thereof) and it was rumoured because of that the contract wasn't insured.

@biturbo19 , are you thinking about the cost to insure players playing in IIHF/Olympics? I have heard the premiums are often too high for these and players just don't play as a result, or sometimes take the risk.,

Nah. I'm not talking about insurance for international events. That's been a whole different can of worms. For guys who are UFA/RFAs especially (Ethan Bear was obviously a case of this)...but it's also been a sticking point for the NHL when it comes to Olympics and stuff. As the NHL is the intermediary provider of Insurance on NHL contracts, through a third party insurer. But that's more about players individually seeking insured non-contracts, or what happens with NHL contracts playing outside the NHL.

But this insured/not insured contract stuff has come up plenty with Arizona, Columbus, other "budget" teams. It's why Arizona were collecting all those big dollar "top player" contracts on permanent LTIR like Pronger, Little, Voracek, etc. The insured deals. But not guys in the middle or lower tier like Poolman. Because they didn't want to actually pay that salary out due to operating budgets.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think he needs to go, as he is the major cap-problem currently on the team, but Mikheyev could conceivably end up on the third line with Blueger and Garland (assuming Joshua is gone) and be available for PK duty. They would have to penny pinch a bit but they could still try to get a 2nd line winger for EP. Don't want to see him in the top 6 again, but if he can in any way regain his speed he still brings some value.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Justin Holl was healthy scratched for like half the season on a non playoff team. he has the same duration risk as Mikheyev and at 32 with a decade of pro hockey under his belt, it'd be a stretch to assume he's going to suddenly find his game. Also, It would be quite a conversation with Myers and his agent about why he should take less money than an almost unplayable 3rd pair guy. Seems like they'd have to be adding the 2nd here...and even then it's not super appealing.

So what you’re saying is the Canucks could pick up an asset in the deal?! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry the great

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I don't think Holl is as bad as he's made out to be. He is what he is. A bottom-pair RHD who can sometimes play a sidekick role to a better defenceman in the Top-4. But yeah...it's tough to justify $3.4M for that. Especially if you're also trying to convince Myers to take a big discount to stay. Though if you're getting Holl...i think keeping Myers has to go out the window as well. You can't have Holl and Myers as your 2nd and 3rd RHD. That's expensive and bad.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
What L?

Do you have any concrete indications that Poolman's contract is insured? I'd say it's still far more likely than not that it isn't.
I'm not playing this game. It's best practice to have contracts insured and most contracts are. Not getting it insured is the exception, and the onus is on you to prove why you believe Poolman is an exception. You just decided his wasn't based on... What? Vibes?

Last edited by a moderator:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Ethan Bear is an interesting one to me if Hronek goes. I don’t buy all the Drance stuff of him being some amazing fit next to QH, but he was bad in Washington and could prevent a cheap option

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Ethan Bear is an interesting one to me if Hronek goes. I don’t buy all the Drance stuff of him being some amazing fit next to QH, but he was bad in Washington and could prevent a cheap option
Bear has his personal issues to deal with.

Reactions: Peen

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not playing this game. It's best practice to have contracts insured and most contracts are. Not getting it insured is the exception, and the onus is on you to prove why you believe Poolman is an exception. You just decided his wasn't based on... What? Vibes?

Not vibes. Actual comments from NHL executives suggesting that only the top contracts are financially viable to insure.

As further evidence to this...if Poolman's contract was fully insured, why the heck is he not already gone to one of the cap floor teams that want free AAV they don't have to pay for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad