Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Final Countdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last one was over 1,000. Continue here.

Vector's NHL Transaction Tracker.

Some Important Off-Season Dates

Buyout Period: 48 hours after the SCF; players without NMCs must be placed on unconditional waivers 24 hours prior (another buyout period opens if a team has a player file for arbitration)
Team-Elected Arbitration: 48 hours after the SCF
Draft Day 01: June 28th
Draft Day 02: June 29th
Qualifying Offer Date: July 1st
Free Agency Opens: July 1st, 9am PST
Summer Development Camp: July 1st-4th
Player-Elected Arbitration: July 5th
Young Stars Classic Tournament: Sep. 13th-16th

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's hard to fathom that Allvin would take the route of hoarding picks and hoping for a Mikheyev recovery versus taking the assertive route of paying the price to be rid of him and getting back Joshua and Zadorov. Not his style

As mentioned, it sounds like they've been hesitant to include any sweeteners to-date, but I'd be surprised if that doesn't change heading into the next 10 days. They should be highly motivated to move him ahead of free agency given their apparent plans in free agency.

I don't see how else they execute fitting Guentzel, Hronek, Zadorov and Myers under the cap, as previously reported.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
As mentioned, it sounds like they've been hesitant to include any sweeteners to-date, but I'd be surprised if that doesn't change heading into the next 10 days. They should be highly motivated to move him ahead of free agency given their apparent plans in free agency.

I don't see how else they execute fitting Guentzel, Hronek, Zadorov and Myers under the cap, as previously reported.
I would be willing to lose Myers in this scenario.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I would be willing to lose Myers in this scenario.

Apparently management is trying to fit those specific players under the cap. I can see the reasoning with Myers, they'll likely not get the utility to salary cap impact off a replacement if they can get him at around $3M AAV.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Apparently management is trying to fit those specific players under the cap. I can see the reasoning with Myers, they'll likely not get the utility to salary cap impact off a replacement if they can get him at around $3M AAV.
Agreed. I have been a big proponent of moving on from him last year, and part of that was his outrageous cap hit. He had a better year for sure, and at a lower cap hit would be far more tolerable.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
so I wonder if the Canucks probably had a trade but its to a team that Mikheyev has on his No Trade.

Like, if the Blackhawks draft Demidov, Milstein is also that player's agent. Demidov can come to North America right away, and having another Russian on the team who has been in North America for awhile eases the transition.

Canucks could of course waive the player like NYR-SJ did with Goodrow, but that's a nuclear option that hurts a lot of established relationships and reputations.

So they let Milstein scout the land and confirm there's no greener pastures for the player as a last resort. And hey, maybe they find something. Usually they don't.

(sometimes the agent does find something - that's how DeSmith ended up in Vancouver)

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
*Maybe* he rebounds? But if he doesn't you have an even bigger boat anchor and you missed your chance to move on when it was semi-affordable.
There isn't any indication that the price is semi-affordable though.

Teams don't want to add dead cap before free agency for obvious reasons. You only get the very rare SJ or perhaps Chicago, who have already given up on the season, who would entertain this. And SJ just did this with Goodrow who, despite his struggles and contract, actually had a good playoffs and obviously is a player that SJ knows and must think will be a good character fit. And even with Goodrow his cap hit is a million dollars less per year, so two million overall less than Mikheyev.

You are more likely to find a taker late in the off season, early to the start the year, where some rebuilding teams have already finalized their rosters and do have cap space similar to what happened with Dickinson.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Milstein probably could swing a deal within moments if he really wanted to. Flames you want Willander and a 1st as sweeteners? Sure. Problem is, that's not reality and this is all just theatrics before the upcming buyout.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Linus Ullmark:
-Devils were heavily engaged for Linus Ullmark
-Boston has a high asking price on Ullmark
-some believe Kings tried to Dubois for Ullmark at the deadline
-Senators are pushing for Ullmark
-Maple Leafs are on Ullmark's no trade list
-Senators are also in Ullmark's list but would accept a trade there
-Bruins won't take back Korpisalo

Juuse Saros:
-looking for at least 8m on his next contract
-Predators won't offer that much

Filip Gustavsson:
-is available

John Gibson:
-Ducks open to moving him

Maple Leafs:
-had talks with Sharks about Mario Ferraro but he is no longer on their radar

Blue Jackets:
-will not buy out Merzlikins
-will trade Laine this month; will be a hockey trade

Senators & Flyers:
-Flyers have had interest in Jacob Chychrun
-Senators like Scott Laughton
-Flyers want to move up in the draft

Flyers:
-open to trading Joel Farabee
-have been shopping him

Kings:
-Jake Debrusk may be a target
-extension talks with Matt Roy ongoing

Golden Knights:
-ongoing discussions with Jonathan Marchessault

Sharks:
-want to add more veteran pieces to their line-up
-looking to improve defence

Utah HC:
-open to trading 6th overall pick
-could move down in the draft or trade for young NHL player

Kraken:
-looking for a goal-scoring warning
-have been tied to Necas and Laine
-wonders about Zegras

Sabres:
-looking to make a splash and add scorers
-has been dangling the 11th overall pick

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
The calculus for Mikyahev at this point is trading a draft pick + Mikyahev for either Zadorov or Joshua. Makes it a lot easier for people to see exactly why he needs to go unless you have some crazy hopes for a rebound.

Cap space in the regular season has a lot less value than it does right now when there's so many transactions to be made. I don't know exactly how high I'd go with that pick, but that's why Alvin gets paid the big bucks while I'm writing my thoughts on HF :laugh:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Linus Ullmark:

Juuse Saros:

Filip Gustavsson:
-is available

John Gibson:

Maple Leafs:

Blue Jackets:

Senators & Flyers:

Flyers:
-have been shopping him

Kings:

Golden Knights:

Sharks:

Utah HC:

Kraken:
-wonders about Zegras

Sabres:

Leafs on Ullmarks NTC is funny. Farabee is a good player and I’d love him in our top 6. Mikheyev to SJ cowards

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Linus Ullmark:

Juuse Saros:

Filip Gustavsson:
-is available

John Gibson:

Maple Leafs:

Blue Jackets:

Senators & Flyers:

Flyers:
-have been shopping him

Kings:

Golden Knights:

Sharks:

Utah HC:

Kraken:
-wonders about Zegras

Sabres:

Hoglander is a scorer. Buffalo can have him and we will take the #11.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd really prefer to just pay the price of dumping him, even if it's a first round pick (2025). We're basically saying good-bye to Joshua if we buyout Mikheyev while praying to every hockey god imaginable the cap goes up another 4-5M next season. If it doesn't, we're losing Boeser.

Fitting him in will already be very dicey but nearly 7M in dead space all but guarantees he's gone.

Edit: There is the possibility of trading Garland to keep Boeser but the end result is a Mikheyev buyout costs us a good player rather than a draft pick.

If Joshua played for another team, would you trade a 1st to acquire him? Of course not.

So why would you trade a 1st to re-sign him? I get there'd be an extra mil or so in the deal, but still no.

I don't want Mikheyev back. At all. But I'm not giving up a 1st to facilitate it.

And I've said it before, but term is important with Joshua. No interest in anything 4+ years.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Is he though? Apart from the age difference there is who they played with.
Guentzel has played just about his whole career with two of the best players in the league, Crosby and Malkin
Necas' claim to fame are Kotkaneimi, Jarvis and Staal. No wonder he wants out.

Other than Guentzel, that is a better ideal IMO. Tying up almost 10% of the cap or more on an aging asset, well Eriksson again? But they have to start thinking about the Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Miller replacements. That's one reason I like this Necas kid, he has had to drive his line for a few years now.

Dhali keeps saying Guentzel for clicks and the rest of the media pick it up and make it a rumour.
Guentzel had 34 points in 28 games for Carolina and if you watched them play he looked like their best forward in the playoffs

How many games did you watch him play for them?

Reactions: Szechwan

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Just bored and wondering if the Canucks could work something out here centered around Mikheyev-for-Goodrow and then trying to flip Goodrow somewhere else. Probably too complicated and overthinking it - but I still feel SJ is a logical landing point for Mikheyev given their need for veteran players and abundance of cap space.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
One of the biggest eaters of cap space is not having ELCs that can make significant contributions at the NHL level. I get a little irritated (though I'm getting milder with age) when I hear suggestions of trading Lekk and Willander and to a lesser degree Hoglander and Podkolzin. All of these guys should be contributing now or within 12 to 18 months on contracts that are near league minimum.
Or we could go back to paying Beagle $3M...

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Just bored and wondering if the Canucks could work something out here centered around Mikheyev-for-Goodrow and then trying to flip Goodrow somewhere else. Probably too complicated and overthinking it - but I still feel SJ is a logical landing point for Mikheyev given their need for veteran players and abundance of cap space.

Funny thing, if you swap Mikheyev for Goodrow and just buyout Goodrow his buyout provides a cap credit for this season.

24-25: -247,222
25-26: 1,002,778
26-27: 3,502,778
27-28: 1,111,111
28-29: 1,111,111
29-30: 1,111,111

I still don't think it's a possibility but maybe there's a three team trade to be had with everyone swapping their problems.

Reactions: Jovofan

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If we bring back both, we're pretty much decided that either Suter will remain in the top six or we're going to chance a rookie pushing for a permanent spot. If, say, we let Blueger go, that would give us roughly 2.2-2.8M to play around with. Of course, this hinges on Zadorov going for a little under 5M at max term and Joshua accepting no more than 3M at all 7-8 years.

Much as I hate to see it happen, letting Joshua go frees up a lot of money to bring in another top six forward. We could then shift Suter down or maybe see whether Podkolzin can fill that void.

You’re still going to need that money for the back end, Zadorov or no Zadorov. And I really think we ought to target a right handed 3C given all our other C’s are lefties.

I think we need to let Joshua go, sadly as I really liked what he brought to the lineup. I’d roll with a top 9 of:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser
Guentzel-Pettersson-Lekkerimaki
Suter-3C-Garland

And also target a right handed 3C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad